If you wanted to filter industrial amounts of vinyl chloride out of your source water, how would you do it?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd move.
Or I would get a RODI for the entire house and a lawyer to talk to the Train Company about funding the filter installation and 25 years of filter cartridges and DI resins.

Good luck selling a house there right now lol. I was wondering earlier today if there were any reef tank owners in that area and I guess I just found my answer.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon (packed tower aeration is what the EPA suggests),,, ro filter is good but make sure to have plenty of pre carbon filtration.
Why would anyone listen to the agency that failed to show up and have the railroad to remove the pollution?

I have worked closely with them on a few occassions in the past and their response to this incident is unbelieveably sad.

Stacey GIF by TLC

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move. Don't worry about the fish...

I work on sites where the groundwater is contaminated with SVOCs. VC is the last daughter product of the degradation cycle. PCE, TCE, DCE, Cis12 DCE, VC.

Showering is much worse than drinking it. Lots of data gaps here. Just my gut reaction with limited information.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would anyone listen to the agency that failed to show up and have the railroad to remove the pollution?

I have worked closely with them on a few occassions in the past and their response to this incident is unbelieveably sad.

Stacey GIF by TLC
i agree im just saying what the EPA has published.. If it was near my house i would be at my lake house and filing a claim on the property and lawyering u. .. i sure would not stick around to guess if "the govt, or the companies responsible" is going to jump and do anything.

Maybe if the spill happened in Ukraine they would care, but not here, sad sad sad.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, jokes aside and the obvious answer of "just move," I was looking for an actual answer regarding whole home filtration.
I do not know the effectiveness of whole house filtration of any type of system. You could not know without a constant expensive testing regimen. I do not mean to joke. I understand the gravity of this situation. If you are old, and exposure will be time limited, it is less critical than if you are a young child and you may have years or decades of exposure.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you stay you will become part of the longitutinal study to find out what happens with long term exposure to VC in your water supply. Buy the most expensive whole house filter you can find and make sure you use filtered water for everything, irrigation, showering, drinking, washing the car, etc. Stay out of the study except to be an on site control for non-impact.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you stay you will become part of the longitutinal study to find out what happens with long term exposure to VC in your water supply. Buy the most expensive whole house filter you can find and make sure you use filtered water for everything, irrigation, showering, drinking, washing the car, etc. Stay out of the study except to be an on site control for non-impact.
You are correct. I was going to like this, but decided to reply instead. There is no likening this situation.

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not at ground zero thankfully, but I am 19 miles downstream of it. I'm hoping someone can chime in with "X amount of filtration" to remove any threat of VC, even if that is a massive whole house RO system

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not at ground zero thankfully, but I am 19 miles downstream of it. I'm hoping someone can chime in with "X amount of filtration" to remove any threat of VC, even if that is a massive whole house RO system
19 miles is a LONG way for groundwater to travel. You have time

Back