If you were a complete noob

D2123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After tank cycled how long would you wait to add a more pricey lps coral i am getting a tank in the next 2 weeks and some very nice corals have popped up for sale in the uk NY knicks and holy grails i plan to do a live rock cycle

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After tank cycled how long would you wait to add a more pricey lps coral i am getting a tank in the next 2 weeks and some very nice corals have popped up for sale in the uk NY knicks and holy grails i plan to do a live rock cycle
Chances are those corals will be gone by the time you get you tank and properly cycle it. Take it slow, have patience and you’ll enjoy the hobby more vs. rushing it and having things die on you.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were a complete noob I would go for it right off.
The best answer I have for you is to research the species and fully understand its care requirements.
From this research you will also learn more accurate introduction times.
I feel a rule of thumb is add fish and wait a month to six weeks and see if you can keep everything stable.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and a PS.
Do your research on tank cycling.
There are pros and cons to live vs dry rock.
The biggest differences,

Live rock will have or should have lots of bacteria and this is a huge +, it also has lots of unwanted pests that come along with it, Aiptasia, ICK or velvet, so use reputable known sources, look at it closely.

Real dry rock is pest and disease free, but needs to be cycled this takes time.

Just a thought as you have time to get dry rock and start the cycling process right now.
All it takes is the rock, a brute trash can or other suitable container, a pump for flow, the bottle of bacteria of your choice, saltwater, test kit, and a ammonia source.
By the time you get your tank the rock will be ready or close to ready.

You will need all the items for the tank anyway so its not wasted money.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was a noob, I believed anything my LFS told me. Hey noob... you can grow anything as long as you buy "fuel". Hey noob, lighting and flow? Who cares? Isn't it pretty?? It took a while for me to learn that the only people benefitting from my errors were the LFS that kept selling me doomed corals without caring enough to educate me or ask me if I had the parameters to keep them.
Be wise, be patient... owning corals is like Jedi mind tricks. Give it time to be one with your tank before taking that plunge. Your wallet will thank you.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back