If you were a RBTA, would you eat yourself?

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kids like to suck their thumbs for years sometimes. If no one told you not to, wouldn't you?
As a matter of fact as a young child, I did! My parents told me that if I stopped, I would be allowed to keep a snake as a pet, if I could catch one myself. They thought I would never catch a snake on my own. Who encourages a four year old to pick up random snakes. I had a pet snake within a week.

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But more to the point, I've had the anemone for 8 months. Over that time it has moved very little. Flow and light have not changed much. But over the last three weeks he has gone from a mostly pink rainbow bta with a greenish body to having half of each tentacle green, with red ends...and an oral fixation.

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to pay more attention to my nem and see if it's nibbling on its arms. They kinda just go everywhere, so I haven't thought much about self consumption.

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to pay more attention to my nem and see if it's nibbling on its arms. They kinda just go everywhere, so I haven't thought much about self consumption.
It doesn't seem to be doing any damage, so my headline was more of a joke than an actual concern about self consumption. But the behavior sure does seem strange!

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is how they bring food that they catch with their arms in their mouth. But, to answer the original question: If I was an anemone, I would kill myself. I hate them.

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, if he catch small chunks of food at that place. I used to feed them manually small chunks of food once in a while (When I didnt hate them that much), and that is how they eat.

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, if he catch small chunks of food at that place. I used to feed them manually small chunks of food once in a while (When I didnt hate them that much), and that is how they eat.
Oh I was making a joke about anemone suicide. But in all seriousness, these anemone arms are shoulder deep! It's often a tentacle that is 1/3 away from the mouth that is as far i to it's mouth as it can go. Normally when I target feed, the whole anemone balls up around the food.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My BTA has made two loops around a particular rock face over the past few days - including squeezing through a tiny recess under the rocks. Why? Why not apparently...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back