If you were buying a 6ft tank today, what dimensions would you go with for height and width?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you were buying a 6ft long tank today, what dimensions would you choose? I'm hopeful that we might move later this year into a bigger place...and I'm already making plans. :cool:

Daveobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6' long, 36" wide, 26" tall... My tank size.

Although it's located in a corner of the room, the overflow is on a 36" end, so the flow pattern is peninsula style. I love having 3 feet of front to back depth. Almost get to have three different display regions. front, back, and middle.

It's currently in it's ugly phase, or I'd post picts.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current upgrade plan is 72x36x20 peninsula style.
I want to access it without standing on anything.
Current 120 is 24" tall and on a 36" stand.

A 30" stand and a 20" tank will work will all my current equipment transferable to the new system.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idea dimensions: 6’ (or longer) x 36”w x 24” tall

My current tank is 27” tall and with a euro brace it’s tough to reach the bottom of the glass. I had it custom made and wish I had done 24”!

radav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the 36 inch depth as a peninsula. I love tanks with the extra depth front to back. You can do some really cool stuff with aquascaping that way.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Perfect dims for a 6ft length! My Reef Savvy is 7ft by 30" by 20"
I agree, 24” tall wouldn’t be bad as well. Only problem with going 36” wide is more light. I have 4 G5 Radion xr30 pros turned sideways and 4 6ft reef Brite xho which should be perfect.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm more for form follows function. When I designed the original order for my 72" tank, it was 24" with an internal overflow. That evolved to a coast to coast. I did not consider at the time that I have no idea how I am going to get into that overflow box to clean in out. I have decided to install a wifi camera above it so I can at least see if I have any issues that need addressing. If you are moving and you can build that beast into a wall with a fish room behind it, the world is your oyster. If not, give thought as to how long your arms are and how you will maintain it.
The new DT is 72 1/4" long (because American Aquariums clearly cannot read a measuring tape), 19" tall and 24" deep plus 5" for the overflow. If I ever build another one, I'd go an inch higher to account for the thickness of the acrylic and the sand. I'll pile on with the others though, length is awesome. If I could ever go 96" long, I'd do it in a blink. I don't care about deep ot tall but the long swim room is just awesome. Next time I would go 96" x 19" deep x 20" tall. Next house ...lol

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 56.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • None.

Votes: 26 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.5%

Back