If you were going to buy a brand new light for your reef RIGHT NOW, which one would you get?

Obsessed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very happy with my ReefBreeders Photon V2 mounted in an Aquatic Life T5 hybrid fixture, wouldn’t see any reason to change from it.

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just ordered 4 ecotech gen5 blues for my 312g system to replace the old gen1s

DrewBR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually did just buy new lights for a new tank. After a lot of consideration I went with the RSX Maxspect 200W. It's close to the perfect size for the tank and is the option that will give more bang for my buck here in Brazil

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 foot mixed reef tank with two Kessil AP9x and 4x 39w T5 places across the front eliminated shading on my SPS, grows anything I place in there and looks very sleek.

I put the AP9X lights on a balanced cable system to move them up out of the way for quick and easy maintenance. They lower back down with a simple one-finger touch.

USCfan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had ballast fail on my t5s so I planned to go t5 down the side of my 92 corner and the Phillip coral care gen 2 in the middle.

The panel light spread was so even on my tank I didn't even put in the t5. So instead, I use the extra space to put in Phillips outdoor shape light as cool moonlights. They work fantastic for moonlights and are almost too strong, lol.

If you are going with led, I would for sure look at the newer diffused panel designs. That is the future.....

20210820_235202.jpg 20210821_023149.jpg

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't argue with the success of Radions commercially and with hobbyists. I've never been an early adopter, instead looking for value in used proven stuff. Your state of the art $400 skimmer is my used $60 skimmer a few years later. A used G5 or 2 will suit me fine when the G6's are out.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not 1 T5 or t5 Hybrid fan has chimed in. HMMMM
I got this PT from petco with velvet and ich. Not my first quarentine saved fish, but maybe my last. Sit down and listen to my store as it's a long one

Three weeks ago we saved a purple tang, brought it home and put it in quarentine. Ramped up copper in a 3 day span and held it at 2.32-2.53. Seen the velvet and ich fall right off. Seen spots where the velvet was hooked and big white spots everywhere. Those white spots went away a couple days after the white dots disappeared. Fast forward a few more days, everything was fine until I noticed the PT lost its appetite. Followed Humblefish's salvage protocol on the fish as it started to get very very weak and couldn't move very well. Had the fish in a methylene blue bath and hyposalinity of 1.011 because I assumed flukes maybe a part of the fishes loss of appetite as I was dosing metroplex, kanaplex every other day. Eight days go by and I notice the tang had a very bad pinched stomach, but was very active until day 8 it started to swim sideways. I took it out to go through the hybrid TTM quarentine as I have a leopard wrasse we has just picked up.. Started to eat very well and swimming around, looked like a complete turnaround. I started setting up our new sumps and a few hours go by, I notice the PT had a clamped right fin I'm seriously like what the #^$$!!! It wont move it at all, if it does it just twitches it. What's going on with this thing??? I need help asap please

I also went with the “5 inch rule” in case I decided to get a HOB filter. You only need space to hide electrical cords and provide some air movement if not using any hang on the back skimmer or filters IMO

I think ATI straton with kessil’s for shimmer

Kessil for led and ATI for T5's

Well I just upgraded my lights last month. I could not resist the great deal I got on two Kessil AP 700 from Saltwater aquarium. I added them to my recently purchased T-5 aquatic life Hybrid fixture. I hope they get the job done for years to come. I debated for well over a year on light and watched hours of videos, but I think I made the right decision even though they aren’t the latest and great Kessil they are perfect for me.

It depends on the tank, the livestock, the budget, etc. Coral Care, Sky, Kessils, ReefBrite, ReefBreeders, MH, ATI T5s and more - they all have their place.

T5’s are what I will go with

Setting up a new tank and going with an LED T5 hybrid. I bought the Aquatic Life Hybrid. Will be using the Kessil AP9x along with T5’s.

RwP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stay with the reefbreeders v2 t5 hybrid. Great punch to the bottom of the tank good color and great growth. I see no need for anything else especially for the price point.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand why hasn't kessil added any diffuse light to their fixtures yet.

I got 2 x Aqua Medic Angels almost 3 years ago and I still haven't found a light that could make my tank look better.

It has the right combination of point and diffuse lighting in just 1 fixture with 200 watt.

ae501200.jpg

Last edited:

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#Kessil…. If you didn’t like the amount of shimmer, as mentioned before, I would add some led bars or T5 for a hybrid setup. After having G4 Pros and G5 Pros with Reefbrite kits I’ve recently gone back to Kessil. The difference in my LPS coral coloration is worth every penny of switching back.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back