If you were going to buy a brand new light for your reef RIGHT NOW, which one would you get?

USCfan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta have shimmer. How good is the shimmer on the panel-style lights?
With the Philip CC, they have only the white led with shimmer, so the bluer you like it, the less shimmer.

This did solved the disco effect from other lights designs.

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either multiple XR15 G5s with supplemental Reef Brites or Sky/Phillips Coral Care.

Good to see LEDs move away from the "puck"....

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were going to buy a brand new light for your reef RIGHT NOW, which one would you get? Why?

I recently did. I UPGRADED from the Radion XR30 Blue G5 and the ReefBrights series X Quad lights to the Neptune Skys. I went from needing 6 lights to needing 2. I also freed up 1 outlet. ( the ReefBrights have 4 sets of wires that go to one power brick, not bad considering you have 4 lights but there are still so many wires!)

I liked my Radions and ReefBrights but they gave off too much blue, I know they were blues duh! But the Skys achieves that same/similar spectrum without hurting the eyes or making my aquarium look like a glass box of windex.

in MY opinion the Skys an upgrade but I think the Radions are a close 2nd. Time will tell but for the first 3 weeks of use they are doing awesome and I can visually see the difference in my corals.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI 8 bulb T5's with reef brite, or reef breeders supplements.

You guys can keep all your fancy LED's and their fancy setting on your phone. Lights are one of those things you set and forget. I don't get the app on your phone as a selling point? Lights are set and forget, what do you need a phone app for?

T5's just plain grow coral with no fancy settings. Just straight up on and off. Couldn't be easier.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If money was no problem, I would get 2x Radiation G5’s.

If money was an issue, I would probably get 2x AI Prime 16HD. (Which is what I’m looking into getting anyway)

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand why hasn't kessil added any diffuse light to their fixtures yet.

I got 2 x Aqua Medic Angels almost 3 years ago and I still haven't found a light that could make my tank look better.

It has the right combination of point and diffuse lighting in just 1 fixture with 200 watt.

ae501200.jpg
Kessil has done disused light with the AP700. They had a "slight diffusion kit" and a "Major diffusion kit".

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were going to buy a brand new light for your reef RIGHT NOW, which one would you get? Why?

I recently did. I UPGRADED from the Radion XR30 Blue G5 and the ReefBrights series X Quad lights to the Neptune Skys. I went from needing 6 lights to needing 2. I also freed up 1 outlet. ( the ReefBrights have 4 sets of wires that go to one power brick, not bad considering you have 4 lights but there are still so many wires!)

I liked my Radions and ReefBrights but they gave off too much blue, I know they were blues duh! But the Skys achieves that same/similar spectrum without hurting the eyes or making my aquarium look like a glass box of windex.

in MY opinion the Skys an upgrade but I think the Radions are a close 2nd. Time will tell but for the first 3 weeks of use they are doing awesome and I can visually see the difference in my corals.
Reefbrites do have too many wires! It would be great if you could just daisy chain them together...

"the ReefBrights have 4 sets of wires that go to one power brick, not bad considering you have 4 lights but there are still so many wires!"

Truer words have yet to be said.

Beefyreefy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Kessil a500x, 3 of them! I’m sold… what I’ve seen of them has me excited about them. The few tanks I’ve seen of them are absolutely spectacular!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read the takedown that Reefbuilders did on the Neptune SKY and I’m not as enthusiastic as I once was, as there seem to be some design issues that might hinder reliability. This isn’t to say it isn’t a good light, just that there really aren’t enough of them that have been out there really long enough to tell.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After increasing the intensity on my G5 Radions recently, something quieter...
Haha, just buy double the amount of G5s and run them at lower intensity... Probably only a few thousand more dollars...

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back