If you were moving and starting over what would you do?

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R Family.

Ok, so I may be moving to across state lines. Which would require selling the house. Buying a new house etc etc etc.

Now for the important stuff: For reef and fish I already decided flash sale. Or give to a buddy for promise of shipping me frags lol

I have a corner FOWLR 60g (6 fish) and a Biocube 32 corner reef in my current house (SPS, LPS, Softy). And a clown.

I am thinking about going bigger in the next house so I can get large exotic fish and amazing coral.

If you had to start all over what would you get?

What is the perfect large tank size with sump (I like sumps) and where would you put it in the house?

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The perfect size tank is the one that fits in the new house. If my wife had her way, the antique cherry hutch in the dining room would be replaced by a 8' tank for anemones and clowns. I'm sticking to the 120DT in the living room. It's enough work as it is.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through this! I kept my 240 cube but rebuilt the stand. I also made a small 6x8 fish room to house the equipment and sump. Nothing under my tank like previously. The one thing I wish I would have done is set up the sump sooner. That way I could have had chaeto, skimmer, and such up sooner. Even though I reused my rock and such I had a horrible algae outbreak in the tank and resorted to lights out method. Had I had my sump up and chaeto it might have been more mild of a break out. One thing I made sure was thought of any issues I had with my old set up and tried to resolve them when setting this one up(like the fish room).
i mean who doesn’t want a bigger tank….but that could be a future endeavor.

corey

Carwin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I decided I didn't want a bigger tank. Crazy, I know, but I think keeping up with my 120 burned me out. Too much to do. I get it, more volume=more stability, etc, but it also means larger water changes, more area to maintain, etc. There are some advantages to a smaller tank. But that's blasphemy so please forgive me.

OP
OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol no I get it. I do a 15g WC on my Biocube and that’s a 50% WC. But I can’t get tangs… or puffers… or a box fish *drool*.

Also I have never had issues keeping stuff stable in a 32g. Still don’t exactly know where that comes from. I mean I know the Science, but a ATO goes a long way lol.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
if i were to start over, i would go immediately to a 90G. for me, personally, i prefer the 90G to any other tank. has a lot of room, and does not take all that much space (IMHO). i currently do have a 90G and stand, but will not be starting my build thread until i have other components (extra set of lights, skimmer, return pump, plumbing, etc).

i will convert my 40B into a frag tank. or perhaps sell it to help fund my 90G.

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently sold off my gear/ tank/ fish as I wanted to take break for awhile and wait until fish prices drop after losing a few to old age. Next time, bigger tank -125 gallon at minimum (I had a 75 gallon), drilled, not HOB, probably go bare bottom. Would love to have my sump and equipment in a different room so the tank would be quiet and not hear have to hear the skimmer and pumps.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a legitimate answer even though it may sound like snark, I swear it's not.

I would focus on buying the house first. Once I bought the house I would figure out where I am placing my main furniture. Then and only then would I start looking at places for a tank. That spot will be the space you're limited to. Any further dreaming is wasted time because maybe the dream tank doesn't fit where you now have to put it due to other circumstances.

Now, if you said you were building a house and still finalizing the floor plan we could have a serious conversation about where the tank's gonna go and what sizes you could fit there. I swear I'm trying to be helpful even though the tone sounds snarky/negative.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back