If you were to ban one fish from the hobby what would it be?

PNW_squidz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, as an owner of fresh and saltwater tanks....I would add...pacus, striped Raphael catfish and a few other species of catfish...heck...go to SeaWorld and see the Striped Raphael Catfish...things literally get up to 6' long.

Are you confusing it with the redtail catfish?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m surprised they haven’t made captive bred the only fish available for the hobby many years ago .
Honestly, that would suck for us in the UK.
We have few CB fish in the hobby that aren’t clowns. Also many of the fish we love aren’t actually CB still, and the main reason is because they nee huge setups that many breeders aren’t able to have.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, that would suck for us in the UK.
We have few CB fish in the hobby that aren’t clowns. Also many of the fish we love aren’t actually CB still, and the main reason is because they nee huge setups that many breeders aren’t able to have.
Even thinking for Canada the selection of captive bred compared to what’s available

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely Candiru (Vandellia cirrhosa)... So cute and cuddly but just not worth the risk.

2tanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any Yellow Tang. They have no personality, they’re aggressive, they’re a plain yellow fish, they’re v e r y overrated. Change my mind.

Like come on, couldn’t you have a different yellow fish? It’s like every man and their dog has a yellow tang and when you ask “can you think of a yellow fish” nobody mentions other fish outside of yellow tangs.
This didn't age well.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This didn't age well.
I hold a huge hate towards them, they’re just common and CB raised their price too far compared to what they’re actually worth.
What YT have you seen that plays with you in the tank? I have wrasses with 10x the personality :)

Wild1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you could magically get rid of one fish from the hobby what would it be?
it could be for fragility, temperament, pickiness, even if you frankly are sick of this fish.
Mine would be Chromis, they have so much against them, they are prone to an INCURABLE disease, whittle themselves to a school to one individual, marketed to beginners, many have been caught with cyanide, are kind of boring, etc...
So if you could magically get rid of one fish from the hobby what would it be?
it could be for fragility, temperament, pickiness, even if you frankly are sick of this fish.
Mine would be Chromis, they have so much against them, they are prone to an INCURABLE disease, whittle themselves to a school to one individual, marketed to beginners, many have been caught with cyanide, are kind of boring, etc...
The Lionfish, way to many have been released, either intentionally or not, into the oceans, where no natural predator's exist!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to go with blue spotted jawfish. I just love them, but they do not belong in a mixed reef tank @ 78F (25C).

These are cold water fish from the Baja coastline. Water you wear a wetsuit in.
/rant over

OP
OP
M

Mackey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Lionfish, way to many have been released, either intentionally or not, into the oceans, where no natural predator's exist!
But why would we want to ban lionfish? if more people took them out of the ocean and into tanks, would that not help the situation?

OP
OP
M

Mackey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree. My seven green Chromis are still alive and well. I got them small over 5 years ago. They are the most active fish, continually moving and spawning in the tank. I have a tang and a rabbit fish and though beautiful, their behaviour is a lot less entertaining that my chromis.
Although I do not have the statistics, by my extensive research it would appear to me you are the anomaly, not the rule. But congrats on your good batch!

Amphibious Wallet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love bettas, and hate how they are marketed. They are abused in our current industry. However, can you think of a fish that's better for beginners? I honestly can't. A fish that thrives in small spaces, breathes air, handles all but the worst in water quality, and can become a pet full of personality? they're a perfect fish that anyone should keep at least once in their life.
Don't get me wrong, they're a great fish with character that matches their colours. Had a few myself, one veiltail but the rest plakats. I don't much care for a fish that can barely swim anymore.

The problem is the perpetuation of them 'liking' tiny tanks and needing the bare minimum (less $ always better, who needs an air pump, hang on back or plants.), whether that comes from a scummy salesman employing SEA practices like putting them in tiny cups to save on store footprint and play on our emotions to 'rescue' them, or a defensive owner realizing they haven't done any research and then choose to double down on their ignorance. Bettering the life of their new toy would mean they were wrong in front of their peers in the first place.

Social media circles, subreddits or The 'Tocks where people post glowups of 'saved' bettas are unfortunately a part of the problem.

Hhaynie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get me wrong, they're a great fish with character that matches their colours. Had a few myself, one veiltail but the rest plakats. I don't much care for a fish that can barely swim anymore.

The problem is the perpetuation of them 'liking' tiny tanks and needing the bare minimum (less $ always better, who needs an air pump, hang on back or plants.), whether that comes from a scummy salesman employing SEA practices like putting them in tiny cups to save on store footprint and play on our emotions to 'rescue' them, or a defensive owner realizing they haven't done any research and then choose to double down on their ignorance. Bettering the life of their new toy would mean they were wrong in front of their peers in the first place.

Social media circles, subreddits or The 'Tocks where people post glowups of 'saved' bettas are unfortunately a part of the problem.
Yeah, I agree with that. I will say though, they are suited to small tanks (2.5g+). they are labyrinth fish, and the peat swamps they come from aren't exactly spacious. We can agree on how they are treated though. Not so fun fact: the reason that they are always displayed on the end of the isle in big box stores is because the store wants people to buy a betta when they come in to buy other things, they are marketed as disposable pets.

waver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would ban anthias. Dont get me wrong I love the way they look, their high energy, and their appeal to any tank. However, I would love to see them adapt better to tank conditions. I've had 7 or 8 and am now down to 2 over the course of a year and a half. They come in very stressed and often dont eat at all. Once they are eating they must be fed 3-5x a day with frozen. The last 2 i have finally started eating pellets. Would love to see these guys captive bred and feeding on pellets in stores some day

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 146 88.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back