If you were to ban one fish from the hobby what would it be?

Mackey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you could magically get rid of one fish from the hobby what would it be?
it could be for fragility, temperament, pickiness, even if you frankly are sick of this fish.
Mine would be Chromis, they have so much against them, they are prone to an INCURABLE disease, whittle themselves to a school to one individual, marketed to beginners, many have been caught with cyanide, are kind of boring, etc...

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any Yellow Tang. They have no personality, they’re aggressive, they’re a plain yellow fish, they’re v e r y overrated. Change my mind.

Like come on, couldn’t you have a different yellow fish? It’s like every man and their dog has a yellow tang and when you ask “can you think of a yellow fish” nobody mentions other fish outside of yellow tangs.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All grade B SE Asian fish - tiny and half starved: mandarins, green chromis, Gobiodon, cleaner wrasse, tiny Pygmy angels, etc. Most are caught with cyanide…..

Jay

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any Yellow Tang. They have no personality, they’re aggressive, they’re a plain yellow fish, they’re v e r y overrated. Change my mind.

Like come on, couldn’t you have a different yellow fish? It’s like every man and their dog has a yellow tang and when you ask “can you think of a yellow fish” nobody mentions other fish outside of yellow tangs.
Then again, if you see my replies to a similar thread (Overrated Fish) then you’ll see how many fish I truly dislike. I’m sure, I’ll end up having about 50 fish I’d want banned just for being basic and what I see as boring.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All grade B SE Asian fish - tiny and half starved: mandarins, green chromis, Gobiodon, cleaner wrasse, tiny Pygmy angels, etc. Most are caught with cyanide…..

Jay
That's very fair. Anything like that should not be allowed in. Would be much better for the US saltwater hobby if fish had to pass health inspection by people who actually know what they are looking for before being allowed into the US. The same should be done with freshwater fish and reptiles. Tens of thousands of animals would be saved every year just by preventing sick/diseased/starved animals from being imported. The reptile hobby is the perfect example of this where in just Michigan alone at least 1000 various cheap imports still loaded with ticks and other parasites are for sale at one of the various reptile expos every weekend. 90% of those animals won't live past 30 days in captivity.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just say if you don't like something for whatever reason then don't get it. Banning or restricting something from everyone else because you happen to have an issue with it is never appropriate reguarless of what it is.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of them can be kept if properly collected and maintained.
This. Many people get certain fish and have them starve just to wonder why. I find this with many of the Valenciennea species.
Those who get a fish and care for them properly are less likely to suffer the consequences of a starved fish (Dragonet, Valenciennea species ect).

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Tang because I'm tired of seeing dead ones. I feel like every LFS might as well have a tank dedicated to the new blue tangs they just got in as they'll all be dead or dying.

Also Copperbands as they seem to be the fish that people most starve but then decide to have another go with anyway.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I mean.. I have a yellow tang but still agree. Haha

Mine is not aggressive so that’s the only reason he still has a home with me.

At the same time they are fairly easy to care for and plentiful so whatever.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean.. I have a yellow tang but still agree. Haha

Mine is not aggressive so that’s the only reason he still has a home with me.
Just wait for him to age and you to try add another fish in… Im sure you’ll end up pulling the trigger haha

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back