If you were to ban one fish from the hobby what would it be?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd ban things like this:

Nemo Pack.jpg
Funny how one kids movie promotes the sales starting trends in fish losses

AquaticVisualPleasures Al

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you could magically get rid of one fish from the hobby what would it be?
it could be for fragility, temperament, pickiness, even if you frankly are sick of this fish.
Mine would be Chromis, they have so much against them, they are prone to an INCURABLE disease, whittle themselves to a school to one individual, marketed to beginners, many have been caught with cyanide, are kind of boring, etc...
Remora people still try selling it at stores here and there or on-line

leon.1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any Yellow Tang. They have no personality, they’re aggressive, they’re a plain yellow fish, they’re v e r y overrated. Change my mind.

Like come on, couldn’t you have a different yellow fish? It’s like every man and their dog has a yellow tang and when you ask “can you think of a yellow fish” nobody mentions other fish outside of yellow tangs.
Easy. Fox faced Rabbit fish, yellow wrasse

Hhaynie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Easily the most abused fish in the hobby.

With Betta's you get thousands of tiktok/youtube videos of people housing them in 1/2 gallon plastic tanks with 1 fake plant, owners bragging about changing their water as often as once a week - sometimes moving the fish into a bowl while they empty and clean out the 'tank' with detergent then fill the tank back up with straight tap water at whatever temperature it comes out. Almost every one features a child or teenager. Probably doesn't help that they can be had for $5.

Then you get these goldfish with deformed bodies, abdomens too small for their insides and huge bulging eyeballs left to swim around in a stagnant bowl for 6-12 months before clocking out. God forbid they last long enough to outgrow a 5gal tank.
I love bettas, and hate how they are marketed. They are abused in our current industry. However, can you think of a fish that's better for beginners? I honestly can't. A fish that thrives in small spaces, breathes air, handles all but the worst in water quality, and can become a pet full of personality? they're a perfect fish that anyone should keep at least once in their life.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine would be Chromis, they have so much against them, they are prone to an INCURABLE disease, whittle themselves to a school to one individual, marketed to beginners, many have been caught with cyanide, are kind of boring, etc...

I disagree. My seven green Chromis are still alive and well. I got them small over 5 years ago. They are the most active fish, continually moving and spawning in the tank. I have a tang and a rabbit fish and though beautiful, their behaviour is a lot less entertaining that my chromis.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse (already banned).

Considered myself great at getting fish through QT and into the display.

Failed twice with that fish (4 total). They are now being tank raised, so something I really want to try in the future.

RTB12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would ban purple queen anthias. They’re so beautiful in the LFS, but you get them home and they just die. Even if they seem to adapt to the tank and eat and appear healthy for a while, they just up and die. Yes, some people keep a few successfully, but the success to up-and-die ratio is heavily skewed towards those that just die. It’s such a waste because they’re uncommonly gorgeous fish.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any Yellow Tang. They have no personality, they’re aggressive, they’re a plain yellow fish, they’re v e r y overrated. Change my mind.

Like come on, couldn’t you have a different yellow fish? It’s like every man and their dog has a yellow tang and when you ask “can you think of a yellow fish” nobody mentions other fish outside of yellow tangs.

Yup, had one and it was a complete butthead. Swapped him for a One Spot Foxface and the tank has been much happier ever since.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back