If you're planning to be part of R2R's Secret Santa, be sure you've registered on Elfster.

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Since this is my first time participating...
QUESTION:

My match has "wished" for items that range in price from under $20 to over $300.

What is the consensus on what is appropriate to spend? IMO the "$20 minimum" is far too vague.

I'm not hung up at all on the "value" of the gift I'll receive; my concern is that I spend X-number-of-dollars and "offend/frustrate" the receiver... if that makes sense...?

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Since this is my first time participating...
QUESTION:

My match has "wished" for items that range in price from under $20 to over $300.

What is the consensus on what is appropriate to spend? IMO the "$20 minimum" is far too vague.

I'm not hung up at all on the "value" of the gift I'll receive; my concern is that I spend X-number-of-dollars and "offend/frustrate" the receiver... if that makes sense...?

I agree that it's a bit awkward. If you look at the thread from last years exchange it will give you an idea of the gifts that were sent. There was a huge range in dollar value. I think most people just give what they can depending on their personal situation. But, I don't think anyone should expect more than the minimum, not everyone can afford to go all out. It's just supposed to be fun.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I just went with what I could comfortably afford. My gift is more than the $20 minimum, but not like $300+.

I enjoy the giving more than receiving, so I am happy to only get a $20 gift, if that is what I get. That being said, my wish list has items ranging from $10 to more than $1,000.

exasperatus2002

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
As of right now, I have 237 people who have signed up on R2R to be part of the gift exchange, but only 193 have signed up on Elfster. If you're missing the link, just shoot me a PM and I'll get it to you again.
Just signed up on elfster

MT_is_a_Pisces

View Badges
Reaction score
Is it best to check off the Wishlist items on Elfster or leave your giftee surprised?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back