i'll probably be fishless in the next few days... :(

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i've been fighting ich/ick for the past 2-3weeks..
at 1st sign i got 2 neon gobys which seemed to help while i garlic'ed up the fish food..

and last monday its being going down hill.. i lost 11 fish since then..
1x Blue spotted jawfish
1x african squamosa anthias (sp?)
4x neon gobies
1x blue tang
1x powder brown tang
1x yellow eye tang
1x green mandarin goby (male)
1x green mandarin goby (female)

so now since the neon gobies are gone i picked up some Microbe-Lift Herbtana from AC and started treatment on friday but it doesn't seem be making a dent on the ich..
this morning before work i was finally able to ambush my snowflake clowns and a pearly jawfish do now they are in the hospital tank with copper..

this is just upsetting.. i should have gone with QT instead of hospitality.. i dont care how stressful it is on the fish thats what i'll do from now on..

i've got they guys left..

flaming hawkfish - in display - shows absolutely no sign of infection
yellow tang - in display
sailfin tang - in display
4 green chromis - in display - shows absolutely no sign of infection
snowflake clown pair - in hospital tank
pearly jawfish - in hospital tank

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT them all and go fallow for 8 weeks and start over.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
First off, is it ok for me to post in this forum? Wasn't sure if non MTRC members should post in here

I had the same thing happen recently....lost all fish except my 3 Green Chromis. Makes me wonder if the Chromis are immune to Ich since your's are also fine???

Wondering now if I should remove the Chromis to make sure they Ich has no host?

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking the same thing as far as not stressing a fish by QTing it in a 10 gallon tank. But this sounds like a true to life nightmare! So sorry for your losses, I know it is super frustrating.

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, is it ok for me to post in this forum? Wasn't sure if non MTRC members should post in here

I had the same thing happen recently....lost all fish except my 3 Green Chromis. Makes me wonder if the Chromis are immune to Ich since your's are also fine???

Wondering now if I should remove the Chromis to make sure they Ich has no host?

if it gets down to it.. i would..

leave it fishless so the parasite dies off... then QT not hospitalize....
thats what i'm gonna do from now on.. i really dont care if a fish dies in QT at least it wont put the rest of fishes at risk...

Don't get burned to learn....

i remember
reading alot of threads about this stuff and thought i'll never have this problem.. i've learned a valuable lesson..
QT'ing is a necessary evil i say this because you may kill an un-infected fish because of the stress but you'll probably be saving the rest..

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich is a nasty little parasite. I feel for anyone battling it and can only suggest reading as much as you can on it before you start your treatment. when I had it, i was fortunate to be able to run my entire system in Hypo as I had not gotten any iverts yet. did this for 4 weeks and kicked it outa my system. I have seen it a time or two because I didnt re-quaranteen a fish on introduction, but it died off quickly and has been gone since.

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for all your loses, Ich as far as i know is present in all tanks once introduced it will always be there. Correct me if I'm wrong but healthy fish can get Ich and fight it off but a fish that is not in good health can not, If my assumptions are correct you may have another issue as far as the mass outbreak of this in your tank.
Just saying take a hard look at all the basics and recheck all your parameters to make sure that something is not being overlooked.
Good luck in fighting this.
Bill

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich is a nasty little parasite. I feel for anyone battling it and can only suggest reading as much as you can on it before you start your treatment. when I had it, i was fortunate to be able to run my entire system in Hypo as I had not gotten any iverts yet. did this for 4 weeks and kicked it outa my system. I have seen it a time or two because I didnt re-quaranteen a fish on introduction, but it died off quickly and has been gone since.

really your corals didnt mind to drop to 1.009?

Sorry for all your loses, Ich as far as i know is present in all tanks once introduced it will always be there. Correct me if I'm wrong but healthy fish can get Ich and fight it off but a fish that is not in good health can not, If my assumptions are correct you may have another issue as far as the mass outbreak of this in your tank.
Just saying take a hard look at all the basics and recheck all your parameters to make sure that something is not being overlooked.
Good luck in fighting this.
Bill

yeah another member recommended looking for stray voltages..

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had not corals at the time fortunately.... it was in the infancy of my tank.

Bill, Actually the Crypto parasite that is at the root of Marine ich can actually be completely removed from a tank. Copper and proper hyposalinity do kill it 100% and you can rid your tank of it. it will also kill all inverts and corals too :sure: thus if you have a reef tank, it is darn near impossible for it to go away. A Healthy fish can fight off its infection but even though you cannot see the the lesions, it can still make just enough inroads to reproduce in low numbers to sorta Hang around a tank. drop an unhealthy fish in there and WHAMO, it can come back.

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had not corals at the time fortunately.... it was in the infancy of my tank.

Bill, Actually the Crypto parasite that is at the root of Marine ich can actually be completely removed from a tank. Copper and proper hyposalinity do kill it 100% and you can rid your tank of it. it will also kill all inverts and corals too :sure: thus if you have a reef tank, it is darn near impossible for it to go away. A Healthy fish can fight off its infection but even though you cannot see the the lesions, it can still make just enough inroads to reproduce in low numbers to sorta Hang around a tank. drop an unhealthy fish in there and WHAMO, it can come back.
Thanks for correcting me! As i really know very little about Fish disease as It really was never much of a problem for me. In all the years I have kept fish only your PB and one other Tang were the only problems i ever had with Ich.
Thanks for the Proper Info.
Bill

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:cry: just stopped at home for lunch.. my snowflake pair is gone...

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure bill.. I did a crap ton of reading on it when my fish got it back in September. I hated seeing my Sohal itching like he was. there were some great reefkeeping magazine articles on it.

sorry to hear Toxic....

Zef004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's alote of fish on your list for being a couple of months old tank. Sorry for your lost bud.
I remember lindsey fight with them.

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ 160lbs of rock is established.. from running systems

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there has to be something else going on besides the ich. That is a lot of fish to lose to it. I usually find that if the water quality is good and the fish don't have other issues then they can fight off ich pretty easily. Some of the fish you had are ich magnets but some (mandarin for example) hardly ever get it.

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mel recommended checking to see if I have a stray voltage.
I just can't find my freaking meter.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back