illdoya's 10g money pit - pic heavy

illdoya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R'ers :)

so here is my tank build! 10g basic nano-reef - this set up is about 6 months old - had a finnex 4g but pretty quickly upgraded to the 10g. Things seem to be going well. The acan frag could be doing better tbh, same goes for ricordia - thinking about messing with placement...

Goal: to successfully keep these animals happy. I understand they will grow and have more upgrades planned after the new years and one more move.

please take a look below everyone - I would really love to get some critique going here that might help me out. Keep in mind this is my first real attempt at reef keeping so be gentle :) but i can take the truth!

feeding:
3/4 cube frozen brine shrimp every other day
marine snow 5ml every 4 days

Light cycle:
cheap LEDs - 7AM to 10pm
T5HO - 8am to 7pm

FTS 7/13/12

rc68gg.jpg

equipment:
10g tank - basic 10g tank from petsmart

Aquaclear 20 HOB (100gph)
Finnex PF5 HOB filter (31gph)

Coralife Dual fixture T5HO 20"
2x 48 LED blue strips (cheap flea market LED strips) wannabe "stunner" strips?

equipment coming soon:
aquastyles DIY LED kit dimmable
Hydor Koralia nano powerhead 240gph - need a bit more flow, had Cyano outbreaks in dead spots
Aquaclear 70 - to be modded into refugium for pods and macro - nutrient export, phosphate/nitrate absorbing, copepod cultivation lenny the blenny (dragonet I know!)

OP
OP
illdoya

illdoya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Livestock:

Fish-
1 small false perc - Bonkers (1.75")
1 small scooter blenny - Lenny (2.5") **last unresearched addition** i was lucky - he eats frozen like a champ. but i want to learn about pod cultivation so i can eventually get him eating his natural diet.
1 small PJ Cardinal - (1.25")
2qw08qe.jpg
fnqs9l.jpg
z7khw.jpg

CUC-
1 small skunk shrimp - no name yet (1.5")
2 hermits (1 scarlet, 1 blue)
1 zombie snail
1 astrea snail

Coral-
Zenia's
3498854.jpg

Zoas
2wf03zb.jpg
5as6yw.jpg
2z70m7c.jpg

GSP
35d9ob6.jpg

Acan & ricordia frags
swze6c.jpg

1 hammer (2 heads, just finished splitting)
15wxfmp.jpg

feathery mushrooms
j7u9ts.jpg

Birdsnest
wthpav.jpg

Gonipora
25k23op.jpg

Steven R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice you are going to have to feed your goni in that small of a tank unless you plan on adding a hang on back fuge I still feed mine I have two shallow water and one deep water goni for over a year now and they seem to be super happy i feed them brightwell macrovore and they love it. good luck and watch out for chemical warfare.

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Lookin' good!! Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
illdoya

illdoya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice you are going to have to feed your goni in that small of a tank unless you plan on adding a hang on back fuge I still feed mine I have two shallow water and one deep water goni for over a year now and they seem to be super happy i feed them brightwell macrovore and they love it. good luck and watch out for chemical warfare.

Planning a AC70 refugium mod next month :) I have a 12" 13w 50/50 PC fixture for it - you think that's enough? light? Goni doing well for over a year?? NICE! I have only had it for 6 months or so. I have read all the horror stories about them being extremely difficult to keep so I'm always a bit worried about it lol. I haven't seen it receding and there seem to be new 'arms(?)'. brightwell gives good results? im gonna research it a bit - is it like cyclop-eeze?

very nice tank careful with your gsp grows like a weed

LOL i've heard! I have it on a piece of LR i can isolate on the sandbed once the crusting reaches the edges

Nice! Lookin' good!! Thanks for sharing!
Looks great, my first tank was a 10gal. I miss it sometimes
Welcome to R2R Great looking little nano
Looks good..thanks for the pics!!! Welcome to R2R!!!
that is a hot looking tank

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I am not the most creative or artistic person out there and I struggle with getting the right look while placing all livestock properly.

thinking of adding some LR to make caves around the base of the rock on the left..

thanks for looking! I'll keep the thread updated :)

OP
OP
illdoya

illdoya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
koralia nano added

So i got the Koralia nano today (240gph)! was stoked to get but worried about placement and too much flow now so I took off the smaller 31gph HOB filter i had on it now. total flow in the tank now is 340gph. in a 10g tank - that 34x turnover right? it seems high when i watch the corals but i read about pple with much more flow.

I think i will be getting LR tomorrow to add some caves on the sand bed to break up the flow a bit.

[video=youtube_share;2cdkDLVsLDg]http://youtu.be/2cdkDLVsLDg[/video]

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty good, nice and chaotic. Does the left side get as much flow as the right side? The GSP didn't look like it was moving much, but it was only in the picture for a few seconds.

OP
OP
illdoya

illdoya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I can not figure out how to edit my posts (I dont see the "edit post" button, feeling kinda dumb lol)

Tank updates:

-So after a bunch of placement issues, I've got the Koralia 240gph in a good spot. Video below - can you guys take a look at coral and tell me what you think about flow rates in the tank? 34x turn over right? 10g tank, 340gph total flow output from HOB filter & powerhead.

Added:
Koralia Nano 240gph powerhead
1.25 lbs of LR pieces to create caves & a way to break up flow across the front/sandbed areas in the tank
2 frags (steal of a deal - $5 for both) Motipora Capricornis(?) and Millepora(?) was going to post in ID forum - can someone tell me if I'm right about the mille?
4 more blue hermits
3 margarita snails

Removed:
31gph HOB filter
*so now filtration is only AC20 & about 9lbs of LR - enough w/ water change every 5 days? HOB refugium to be added in next 2 months

Lost:
Lenny the scooter blenny - almost positive he slowly starved to death...Super ****** at myself. Im hoping his death is the end of my NOOB mistakes! I got him at LFS and didnt realize at the time that he was a dragonet needing a diet of live pods. He always took frozen mysis and brine but the last few days he thinned out and i found him belly up on the sand this morning :(

FTV 7/21/2012

[video=youtube_share;PDSNov2kzQs]http://youtu.be/PDSNov2kzQs[/video]

New frags

Monti

28qybmb.jpg

Mille - is this what people mean by brownies?? i was thinking so after I got it - if it is I am hoping to be able to bring out some color (but i really am not 100% sure lol)

2di20qv.jpg

Looks pretty good, nice and chaotic. Does the left side get as much flow as the right side? The GSP didn't look like it was moving much, but it was only in the picture for a few seconds.

messed with it a bit more now. GSP side definitely has less flow, but more now that it did since I've added the caves. you think I should add more flow to that side? Thought about maybe adding Hydor Pico Evo-Mag Circulation Pump - 180gph w/ adjustable flow down to 0. Thoughts on this product anyone?

as always - thanks for looking everyone!

OP
OP
illdoya

illdoya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Montie looks amazing, sorry for the loss.

Thanks! I'm glad to hear you say that. I had always thought I couldn't keep SPS with what I was working with but I started seeing real action on my birds nest frag... the 2 new new frags were such a steal so I grabbed them to give them a try.

Huge bummer about Lenny the scooter blenny. We're pretty bummed, he was the 2nd fish we got.. I'm almost positive he wasted away from not having a source of pods. I made the stupid mistake of thinking he would be ok... I watched him eat at every feeding but i guess it wasn't enough.. When I noticed him being "sluggish" I started testing and all params came back normal (before and after).

So yea, I'm hoping thats the last noob mistake to come back on me for awhile!

spsboss

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all make mistakes dont beat your self up for it. If you want another one you can always reach out to vendors on this site and ask them if they have pods to seed the tank with. That way you will def know you can handle a blenny of that nature.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great job!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back