Illegal to do service calls on certain tanks?

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You gotta know and obey the laws. Here in Florida you can’t take an undersized lobster, snapper, or grouper for your fish tank at home. A small queen conch can’t be brought home to your aquarium either. And a Hogfish snapper, a great table fare fish which is not a snapper but a wrasse, can’t be taken if less than 16” to the fork of tail.

CODE3EMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the crap that is going on in this state with mass shootings, rounding up illegal immigrants, drugs, gangs, murders, seems to me a huge waste of time to investigate illegal animals in fish tanks. High capacity mags over 10 rounds are illegal in CA.......but I know tons of peeps that have them. As a firearm owner myself, I can say what you don't know, won't hurt you. Why bring attention too yourself. Clean the guys tank................collect your payment..............and walk away.

Would you tell your spouse you might have some inappropriate text messages from from a lady you met, or pray your spouse doesn't find out.

Would you drive past a police station with expired registration and no insurance.............or take the back road.

Clean the tank...........charge xtra for the dirty shark.............and walk away with a grin on your face.

No one cares.......at least not at this moment with all the hell going on in our world.

ALRUI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think the police are gonna hunt down the dude who cleans the tank just the owner. if you rely think they have the time money and recourses to hunt you down for an arrest than calli is one messed up place. all that considered is this your own business or someone else's if you are employed than you will not get arrested the owner will/ company will be sued not the lone worker that might not know the laws.
Cali IS messed up and this is whats wrong there, they believe in "law ENFORCEMENT" NOT "policing". Theyre insane & I was born there, just got smart & moved the hell out!

VelocityTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is NOT ilegal to service a tank. Its ilegal to OWN that said fish. If you know someone that committed a crime and do not tell. ITS OK. its not against the law.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey JoshH,
I am actually a CA Game Warden if you want to give me a PM I can talk to you about it. You wouldn’t necessarily be cited for the shark violation (possession), but it would basically be the same if you were working on anything else that was illegal, like servicing a car you know was stolen, etc.
Jason

Or like doing an oil change on a car you know didn't pass emissions... Or, um, cleaning a tank with an undersized fish that someone caught ;)

This post made sense, the ones that are talking about jail time and acting like you're an accomplice to some crime are a little (or a lot) extreme.

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if the leopard shark is imported? Bali Coral has them on their stock list.
38A7E94A-6770-434A-9BA6-F62EC684301D.png
38A7E94A-6770-434A-9BA6-F62EC684301D.png

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Well the person is servicing the tank not the fish so I don't think you would get in trouble

Even if you don't commit the crime yourself you become an accomplice once you assist in any way. Either party is guilty here of different crime with different level of punishment.

In other words if one person sells the drugs and you only provided storage in the basement you are in deep ish either way.

Diggem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you don't commit the crime yourself you become an accomplice once you assist in any way. Either party is guilty here of different crime with different level of punishment.

In other words if one person sells the drugs and you only provided storage in the basement you are in deep ish either way.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Op is no longer unaware of the law. Its no longer a valid excuse. If you know a law is being broken and hide that fact than you are just as guilty as the one commuting the act. I would not service the account.

I think not reporting and hiding are two different things. ( I know they are two different things, I just said I think to be nice. :) ).... Still reading through the thread....

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its interesting
I was reading through this thread thinking a lot of people are giving their opinion of the law, which can be very detrimental to the OP... Until I came across your posts. This is literally your field and I deeply appreciate the fact you provided your expertise.

I actually thought this too - until I read the OP - which asked for people's opinions. I'm glad the discussion was had - because in reading the opinions - I learned a lot.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this is hypothetical.... Just because certain animals are not allowed to be kept by private individuals does not mean that those animals are ALWAYS illegal. The first thing I would ask a person who has a species you believe to be illegal is whether 1) that animal actually is the illegal species and 2) whether they have appropriate permitting to keep it.

Next, not all illegal types of fish and corals are easily recognizable. Could someone get in trouble for not reporting an obscure illegal species in a tank that they are cleaning? I don't think they could, even if they knew the species was one not normally allowed to be kept.

Also, does cleaning something count as possession. As it's said "possession is 9/10s of the law." Knowledge of a crime does not constitute a crime in and of itself. Acting to help conceal a crime IS illegal. Cleaning a tank does not fit under the category of possession nor concealment.

That is the legal side of things.... But in a strictly what's best for our environment thing, I'd probably report it at any rate. (I'd do so through a lawyer, as I would have no interest in being caught up in it and then the lawyer could ensure that things were taken care of appropriately.)

If someone has something that is illegal and had illegally obtained it, there are probably others who have the same illegally obtained item. There is a black market for illegal animals. If protections are in place for a species, they need to be there. I wouldn't want to aide someone in further degrading the well fare of our planet or our oceans. Would you be obligated to report though? Absolutely not.

On a more personal level, even if I didn't want to report the animal (which you are not legally bound to do), I also wouldn't sign on for helping that person with anything. I'd tell them to figure out how to get the proper permitting for keeping the animal or find a place that is suited for caring for it or re-releasing it. Otherwise, I'd have no interest in doing business with them. But I think that's purely a personal choice. Like you said earlier... probably more moral than legal.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back