Illumagic Blaze, Radion G5 Blue or Orphek?

Which would you choose?

• Illumagic Blaze

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • Radion XR15 G5 Blue

Votes: 45 41.7%
  • Orphek V4

Votes: 39 36.1%
  • Kessil A360X

Votes: 7 6.5%

• Total voters

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Which would you choose for lighting an SPS dominant tank on a 36x20x20” tank for around $1000?

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Me personally would use the Radions which I have over my tanks a love them. But you’ll get a bag of mixed reviews. Nothing against other as I have seen good reviews on them. Just like the easy setup and forget method on the Radion.

Cdeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Wanted the illumagic originally, bought the orphek atlantik received with two bad diodes now returning. considering the radion G5 blue, but should go back to illumagic maybe?

OP
OP
Acrofiend

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I Wanted the illumagic originally, bought the orphek atlantik received with two bad diodes now returning. considering the radion G5 blue, but should go back to illumagic maybe?
I’ve heard nothing but good things about the Illumagic. A lot of UV, low power consumption and decent par numbers. I wonder if anyone has seen them all in person.

d3vhound

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t do it man. You will regret it. A360x don’t have much power and if your tank is more than 12” tall, it won’t even hit 100 par at the bottom.
I don't think the new ap9x pucks are the same as an a360x. They market 1 fixture as being good enough for SPS on a 36"x24" tank. I trust Kessil since they're an LED company first.

OP
OP
Acrofiend

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’ve seen one orphek in use and there was major disco ball effect but the owner had them ~6” from the water. Does anyone running Orpheks experience this?

rynosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a tank that size I doubt a single Kessil a360X will have enough PAR output to support a SPS dominant system. 2 or more would work. The XR15 would be better, but again I'd consider getting 2 or the XR30 especially if you're going to run solely AB+. This would also help to avoid shadowing later down the road once things grow in.

The Illumagic Blaze X-60 would be a good choice for spread/PAR for sure. Currently I'm running an Orphek Compact on a 24X20X12 and I'm quite happy with it. I have it around 16" over the tank to reduce seeing individual LED colors on the sand bed. Great PAR, even spread and I love the look of it. The app to control it is certainly functional but not as polished visually as it should be for 2020. And color separation is a concern if it's mounted too low. Hope that gives you some things to think about!

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen one orphek in use and there was major disco ball effect but the owner had them ~6” from the water. Does anyone running Orpheks experience this?
Mine are 10" off the water surface on a 2' deep tank. I don't notice any disco ball affect. I also have plenty of surface movement.

OP
OP
Acrofiend

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’m currently undecided between the g5 blue or orpheks.
Has anyone seen both in person?

Cdeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Orphek went back and BRS confirmed it had two diodes were bad in it on a new unit. My illumagic shows up tomorrow, but heavily considered G5, or G4. from my research everyone said G4 was just as good and the money wasn't worth an upgrade. If that helps any, I can let you know what I think of the illumagic when I get it going

OP
OP
Acrofiend

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My Orphek went back and BRS confirmed it had two diodes were bad in it on a new unit. My illumagic shows up tomorrow, but heavily considered G5, or G4. from my research everyone said G4 was just as good and the money wasn't worth an upgrade. If that helps any, I can let you know what I think of the illumagic when I get it going
I’ve heard the Illumagics don’t cover front to back very well but I haven’t seen them in person to judge for myself. Ive narrowed it down to either orphek or Radion g5.

Cdeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the illumagic mounted to my tank, setup was easy, control is easy, also the app is easy, contradictory to what others have said. Comes with three presets, LPS, mixed reef, and SPS.

So far I like it, I don't have my new build complete, to speak for how corals are reacting. My stand is still in boxes, my tank is on the floor with the light mounted, and sump is across from it, filled with gear. Just got to put it all together.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back