Illumagic or other options for 48"x24"x16" SPS tank

KRAUSE1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is a Deep Blue 80 gallon (48" long x 24" wide" and 16" tall)

I'd like to keep primarily SPS and clams with some LPS mixed in.

I've been looking at the Illumagic X-120
and the Illumagic X-90
Does anyone have any opinions on these lights? Would I need the X-120 or do you think the X-90 would spread enough to cover the extra 6" on each side? I tried some searches, but have come across few results. From my understanding, these are pretty new to the US market.

Otherwise, does anyone have any other suggestions for an LED lighting solution for under $1200 or so?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of this fixture, not that I know every one out on the market. But trying something new does have risks.

There should be lots of led fixture options for a 48" tank for under $1200.

I use the Reef Breeders Photon V2+. I think they have a 32" ($530) and a 48" ($660) version. They also have a sponsor forum here so they are easy to talk to.

bckey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is a Deep Blue 80 gallon (48" long x 24" wide" and 16" tall)

I'd like to keep primarily SPS and clams with some LPS mixed in.

I've been looking at the Illumagic X-120
and the Illumagic X-90
Does anyone have any opinions on these lights? Would I need the X-120 or do you think the X-90 would spread enough to cover the extra 6" on each side? I tried some searches, but have come across few results. From my understanding, these are pretty new to the US market.

Otherwise, does anyone have any other suggestions for an LED lighting solution for under $1200 or so?

I am going with these on my 36” x 36” lagoon and I would like to do 2 2 footers. My thinking is that these lights are not very wide (6”) so spaced 12” apart would leave 6” in front and 6” in back so I don’t see why 6” on the side will matter too much unless the end led clusters are not close to the ends of the light. If not then I may have to go 3 footers. Maybe some Blaze owners can chime in.

Last edited:

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a blaze x60 on my 2 foot tank. Sps only and it really made colours pop. Not the highest par light but corals look great under them once you find the look you like. I ran 100% all channels for 4 hours then 70w 100b 100v for 4

bckey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a blaze x60 on my 2 foot tank. Sps only and it really made colours pop. Not the highest par light but corals look great under them once you find the look you like. I ran 100% all channels for 4 hours then 70w 100b 100v for 4

How much par do they put out. I need to know if these are going to be a really good option for my sps tank. We are talking $2000 for 2 three foot lights. I don’t want to get them and be having to add t5 or something later because these didn’t have enough par. I have 2 brand new c-ray 200’s I could put on the tank instead. I just heard some good things about the illumagic blaze x’s and was going to change to them while I can still send these c-rays back. I originally bought the c’rays for a 100 gal ext but everything changed when I switched my order to the new 112 lagoons being released. Now I can’t use the mounts for the crays. Have to hang them. Also have an odd ball square to cover with light and the tank is eurobraced 36” x 36”. Everything with lighting got a lot more difficult once I made the switch. I just want to get it right from the start so I am not wasting money. I’m scaping this together as it is piece by piece.

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 300 under light but like any led drops off a bit. With 2 of these you won't have an issue with par or spread. The colours they bring out are pretty awesome. Most ppl that came round where pretty impressed. Got a few pics on my build thread

bckey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must be looking at the wrong build thread. I see a lot of t5 in your acro rebuild thread. $2000 is a lot for those 2 lights with very little information on them in the USA. May start looking elsewhere. The few people that have them like them but is that enough to go on and purchase? I may throw those C-rays on and wait and see how the aquarium lighting industry plays out this year. Maybe some new hybrids coming out.

When I get back home I am going to set up a c-ray 200 on my 40 gallon and see how it does. I am for sure leaving that on my 40. It is the new 112 lagoon that is the lighting head scratcher.

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back