IM 14 NUVO Peninsula or WaterBox Mini Peninsula 15?

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking at the WaterBox Mini Peninsula 15 for a while now. I like the dimensions, have seen really good reviews, and it seems like a really nice good quality tank. My only issues are that it doesnt come with a lid and I have read the pump definitely needs upgraded and selection is limited due to chamber size.

I havent really considered the IM 14 NUVO Peninsula until just today. BRS has it on sale for %15 off and its about the same dimension. It looks like it comes with a lid, has the return pump I would have liked to upgrade the WB to and also has really good reviews quality wise. I did see one person have issue with the return pump chamber saying that it can run out of water fast if you dont keep up with topping off the water.

Has anyone had this issue or any opions either way for which I should go with? I feel it may be worth it to just spend the extra 40$ on the IM now since its on sale and not have to worry about buying a separate lid and pump for the WB. Would love to hear opinions on both tanks if possible. At least if anyone has any issues they know of with either tank. From what I have seen in my research is both manufacturers seam to be high quality so I feel that isnt an issue. Not sure how long the BRS sale is for, I feel like I have seen it on sale for a little while now.

Thanks yall.

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the IM you are considering. My build thread has a lot of thoughts overall about how I set it up and isn't overly long if you want to check it out. But in short, I think it's a great tank.

The return pump they include is very nice and has proved reliable for the time I have had it. Regarding the return pump chamber, that would be situational to your set up. My tank does evaporate a lot of water daily. Im generally running the AC and a fan is always on in the room. If you had a house that was more humid and didn't run a fan all the time maybe yours wouldn't evaporate so fast. At any rate, I would HIGHLY recommend an Auto Top Off. Its easily the best piece of gear I bought for the tank.

I like having a lid that is made especially for the tank. Its a perfect fit. The filter caddy has been nice as well. Really allows me to customize the way I want to handle filtration. I don't really use the sock. Once in a very long while if I'm really stirring up the tank for maintenance.

I'm happy to awnser any other questions you have regarding it.

Last edited:

bigboiireef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say the tanks are very similar in nature. Depending on the type of fish you are keeping you may not need the lid. I personally enjoy the open top look, so I am more geared toward Waterbox. I have a cube 20 which looks great. I did upgrade the pump to a Tunze though. I would not stick with any stock WaterBox pumps.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back