OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some peroxide test strips to make sure the dose doesn’t build up. From Jessica at humblefish:

For reference, using 3% peroxide:
1mL/10gal (40L) = 0.75ppm
1mL/8gal (30L) = 0.9ppm
1mL/5gal (19L) = 1.59ppm
1mL/3gal (11L) = 2.73ppm
1mL/1 gal (4L) = 7.5ppm

She targeted 1ml/5gal so 1.6ppm however she didn’t test peroxide amounts and did some bulk dosing so the levels probably peaked and declined more vs steady state except at night where she had on a doser. I am using a doser only for the same amounts overall.

according to the test strips I’m holding 1-3 ppm. So working as intended and not building up. Some have indicated the peroxide might not break down but keep accumulating so I’ll keep watching it.

coupled with the 2 submersible UV in the dt I think will be in good shape to in 6 weeks as Jessica found.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full thread for anyone interested.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to say, I have been dosing this a little while now, no inverts seem impacted at this level - tux urchins are good, peppermint shrimp in sump still there, cleaner shrimp are fine, chaeto appears alive and well, small trochus that reproduced in sump are still there along with brittle star and bristleworms.

This is just fyi on what I have noticed not a endorsement to dose peroxide.

I’ll keep testing to make sure levels don’t rise more but at this concentration at least for now, no livestock is harmed that I can see.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to say, I have been dosing this a little while now, no inverts seem impacted at this level - tux urchins are good, peppermint shrimp in sump still there, cleaner shrimp are fine, chaeto appears alive and well, small trochus that reproduced in sump are still there along with brittle star and bristleworms.

I’ll keep testing to make sure levels don’t rise more but at this concentration at least for now, no livestock is harmed that I can see.
How are the corals doing?

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem fine. They system was an attempt to be coral free, but I have had some goni and added softies. Will add a pic of them today.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem fine. They system was an attempt to be coral free, but I have had some goni and added softies. Will add a pic of them today.
I knew you would eventually have coral again, but didn’t expect the path to be paved with so much sadness.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is ora red goni (branching gsp background), UC space glitter goni, toadstool green tip, big OG bounce, big singulara

FB726D4D-EFB2-4C80-B08E-2D506F4C04D4.jpeg
A733413B-85F1-43C5-9803-99D5C91A262D.jpeg
8471E3D0-6FC7-4809-83BB-38C58921C4A6.jpeg
06C9B2E8-33A1-4D06-BBC3-40789AC5C337.jpeg
72981F5E-552B-47A9-9AA2-6E123A14EBD9.jpeg

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Peroxide in general is very reactive, so any added disappears fast as it turns to O2 while it reacts with gunk. I hope the treatment helps! Good to have a reference dose

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peroxide in general is very reactive, so any added disappears fast as it turns to O2 while it reacts with gunk. I hope the treatment helps! Good to have a reference dose
Here is why I figured good to spend the money since it was only $20 to make sure it doesn’t build up. Now the below text it seems peroxide does degrade faster than his results however my worry is once it reacts over time perhaps it might build up.

From the article:

Hydrogen peroxide drop-down test:
It is reported in the aquarium hobby literature that hydrogen peroxide, added to seawater breaks down within minutes if the solution is aerated. This was found to be incorrect. A 25-ppm solution of hydrogen peroxide in strongly aerated seawater still measured > 20 ppm after 72 hours. A similar test using deionized water showed even more stability – a 25 ppm solution was measured after five days at 10-20 ppm.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is why I figured good to spend the money since it was only $20 to make sure it doesn’t build up. Now the below text it seems peroxide does degrade faster than his results however my worry is once it reacts over time perhaps it might build up.

From the article:

Hydrogen peroxide drop-down test:
It is reported in the aquarium hobby literature that hydrogen peroxide, added to seawater breaks down within minutes if the solution is aerated. This was found to be incorrect. A 25-ppm solution of hydrogen peroxide in strongly aerated seawater still measured > 20 ppm after 72 hours. A similar test using deionized water showed even more stability – a 25 ppm solution was measured after five days at 10-20 ppm.
I bet the quicker rate of breakdown is secondary to the amount of normal organic compounds in your tank. It looks like the drop-down test was done with saltwater alone (unless I missed something while skimming). Overall, I’m curious as to what you will observe about the breakdown vs accumulation rate in your tank over time.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet the quicker rate of breakdown is secondary to the amount of normal organic compounds in your tank. It looks like the drop-down test was done with saltwater alone (unless I missed something while skimming). Overall, I’m curious as to what you will observe about the breakdown vs accumulation rate in your tank over time.
I think you are 100% correct. My thought is now there is only 1 fish the organic load is so much less and the reef mat and skimmer pulling out what was present along with the reduced organic input could result in longer peroxide retention especially since this needs to continue 6 weeks or so.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daily update. Diamond goby living his best life still. No spots. I suspect he will be gone now.

peroxide concentration remains between 1-3 ppm sometimes nearer 3 but I think depends on when test vs when doser runs. Shrimp in sump and bristleworms fine still along with snails and starfish.

scrubbed algae off rocks for fun and cleaned glass. Clean tank helps it look like a good system haha.

I did test adding peroxide into one of the running qt tanks, low organic load being empty and levels are still over 100ppm a day later granted I added a lot - didn’t measure though.

added more carbon to reef mat tray. With peroxide and cutting softies figure can’t hurt

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Klein also bit the dust making a loss of all fish but the Diamond and mandrian.

I have a large credit with dr reef and wanted to change it away from butterflyfish because, well, the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth.

he called to see what happened and was very nice. He said no problem to change my order (I said if he can’t he can just keep the money) and he said wanted to keep me in the hobby so he was happy to do whatever I wanted. Very nice of him.

I am going to try a large group of zebra dartfish - eventually that is. He will source quite a few but no QT I asked for just the basic conditioned.
FYI. The zebra dart fish are cool looking. I have 3. The problem is they are ALWAYS in the rocks and you do not see them except for a couple minutes at feeding time. I literally see them once a day for 1-2 min.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI. The zebra dart fish are cool looking. I have 3. The problem is they are ALWAYS in the rocks and you do not see them except for a couple minutes at feeding time. I literally see them once a day for 1-2 min.
But having said that, they are with several other fish,
Fox face lo
Two spot tang
Purple tang
Midas blenny
2 bangi cardinals
2 pj cardinals
2 clowns
Melanurus wrass

maybe just having a big group they would be more in the open. They really are pretty fish.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hart has a pretty open aquascape with minimalistic rock work design. I wonder if that will also help the zebra dart fish remain more visible.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 73 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 8.7%

Back