OP
Acros

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just got done setting up the tank after moving across state lines. New sand, rinsed prior to move. I did not use any of the old water. Everything looks good now. Acros are extended.

Rocks and fish were kept at 78f with flow in 5 gallon buckets. They travelled for about 2.5 hours without heat or circulation. Water temp never got to below 76 at any point since Thursday afternoon.

No matter how much I planned, the move was super stressful. Moving the tank took at least 12 hours of dedicated effort.

1B6A17FB-7E84-44B2-A688-9CB9AB8058C0.jpeg

OP
OP
Acros

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This thread gives me anxiety. Lol.

save yourself the money and stop buying acros. Focus more on nutrient control and your fish, then move onto corals when the tank is more mature.
Only if I had that kind of self-control. lol. My downfall so far has been using fluconazole followed by chemiclean (very bad idea).

Madonia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used chemi clean treatment and thankfully my tank is solid. I’ve used it once in the past on an immature tank and got Dino’s.

gotta make sure there are nutrients in the tank after treatment and that you use nitrifying bacteria to replenish.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a rollercoaster. I thought that the live rock would have help with some of the issue you experience. Continue dosing N/P until detectable and let the tank mature a bit. I would stop dosing the other things all together ie fluc, chemiclean, silica or even the TM all for reef.

I have the IM20 and been a new reefer the 1st year to 1.5 year were rough. Experience so many issues but after that timeframe the tank finally stabilized and most of the issue worked themselves out. Keep detectable nutrients.

OP
OP
Acros

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am winning the battle against dinos. Keeping nutrients up, dosing silicates, and manual removal. GHA is starting to poke its head (not mad about this, it means dinos will be gone soon). I need to add some clean-up crew in a week or so. The only losses to dinos were 3 snails and a PC Rainbow frag. The PC Rainbow was doing fine until I added an aiptasia eating filefish, it went straight for that frag and ate almost all of its polyps.

Started a zoa rock earlier this month.
zoa_rock.jpg

OP
OP
Acros

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
How is your ATO im looking at getting a new one
It has been very reliable. I got mine used more than a year back. I will recommend this model. It takes very little space, which is desirable in an AIO tank.

I had to clean the sensors only once so far. It started beeping constantly and would not pump water. Which is fine by me as it warned me and didn’t dump a ton of water into my tank.

OP
OP
Acros

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Stopped blasting my corals with flow (about 150x) and started moderate random flow. I still see all polyps move all the time and do not see any obvious dead spots. My corals show more polyp extension this way. Maybe it was too much flow before.

Edit: My flow is still quite high at about 100x.

Last edited:

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey man nice tank. following. btw super jealous of your macros in maindisplay. my live rock had lots too but also had red mithrax crabs that ate all of em. but also no hairalgae yay :)

OP
OP
Acros

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Must have missed the reason, but can I ask why you are dosing silicates?
I had a terrible dinoflagellate outbreak, the kind that rarely goes into water. Hence dosed silicates to out compete dinos with a diatom bloom.

It worked after a month of elevated nutrients, silica dosing and manual removal. Now I have tons of sponges in my tank. Some of them are cool looking.

OP
OP
Acros

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
hey man nice tank. following. btw super jealous of your macros in maindisplay. my live rock had lots too but also had red mithrax crabs that ate all of em. but also no hairalgae yay :)
Thank you. Macros in the main display is a blessing a curse. I have kelp looking stuff that slaps my zoas in the face, making them close up temporarily.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back