IM 25g Lagoon Mixed Reef Build

kdc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m off to a slow start, but I think I’ve got my equipment list finalized and will order most everything after the 1st. Tell me what you think. We’re military and I haven’t set up a tank in a couple of years, so I’ve been agonizing over this.

Equipment:
~25g IM Fusion Lagoon
~I have an AI VEGA, do you think it would be enough light, or do I need to buy something new?
~Homemade stand (that a little oversized as it was originally built for another tank)
~Either a single Sicce 1.5 return or two tunze silence 1073.008
~Spin stream nozzle on side 1
~Vivid Creative Aquatics RFG (Thanks to kyleinpdx!) on side 2
~Eshopp Nano Protein Skimmer
~AutoAqua Smart Micro ATO (still deciding on an ATO container)
~IM Custom Caddy on side 1
~IM Floss Holder on side 2
~Colbalt Aquatic 100watt heater
~Either a DIY screen netting top or a ClearView Aquarium Lid
~CPR Aquatics AquaFuge External Refugium 2- small
~ Chaetomax 2-in-1 fuge LED
~Orange APEX controller (had it awhile but I’ve never had a chance to use it)

My wishlist:
~AquaMaxx Algae Reactor Package

I plan on trying ATI Essentials on this tank and will manually dose at first since my tank is so small. I may decide to purchase a doser later on.
I would really appreciate some opinions on this before I bite the bullet and purchase everything so TIA!

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Vega should be more than enough, it's just a little old so it may have some issues eventually with something not working as intended. Start out on a lower power setting since that is a pretty powerful light if I recall correctly.

I would go ahead and get two spinstreams, they're pretty cheap and work great so why not :)

Everything else looks pretty good to me. The only other thing that may be an issue (not sure since I can't see the item) is the stand not being supported in the area the tank will be sitting. You said it is somewhat oversized, so I would make sure that there is ample support in the footprint the tank will be occupying.

Be sure to add pictures as you get everything set up! :D

OP
OP
kdc

kdc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Vega should be more than enough, it's just a little old so it may have some issues eventually with something not working as intended. Start out on a lower power setting since that is a pretty powerful light if I recall correctly.

I would go ahead and get two spinstreams, they're pretty cheap and work great so why not :)

Everything else looks pretty good to me. The only other thing that may be an issue (not sure since I can't see the item) is the stand not being supported in the area the tank will be sitting. You said it is somewhat oversized, so I would make sure that there is ample support in the footprint the tank will be occupying.

Be sure to add pictures as you get everything set up! :D

Thank you for the feedback! Two spin streams had crossed my mind too.
What protein skimmer would you recommend? Some of the reviews for the Eshopp aren’t that good.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the feedback! Two spin streams had crossed my mind too.
What protein skimmer would you recommend? Some of the reviews for the Eshopp aren’t that good.
There really isn't any good internal protein skimmer for these tanks (I have the Nuvo 20 which is a bit shorter than the 25 lagoon). I use the ghost skimmer and it is better suited as a paperweight IMO. I am considering getting an Aquamaxx HOB skimmer since I've heard good things about them. The only thing keeping me away at the moment is that I currently do water changes enough that I don't really have a need for a better skimmer and also I'm worried about leaks.

OP
OP
kdc

kdc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There really isn't any good internal protein skimmer for these tanks (I have the Nuvo 20 which is a bit shorter than the 25 lagoon). I use the ghost skimmer and it is better suited as a paperweight IMO. I am considering getting an Aquamaxx HOB skimmer since I've heard good things about them. The only thing keeping me away at the moment is that I currently do water changes enough that I don't really have a need for a better skimmer and also I'm worried about leaks.

I read up on your IM 20, it’s really nice. I’m following along on your thread so I can see what frags you get next.

OP
OP
kdc

kdc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a suggestion for a salt mix?

OP
OP
kdc

kdc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to put on there that I will be using the Vortech MPH10WQD. I was going to get the XF230 Gyre but I just realized I already have the Apex Module to hook up the Vortech to the Apex and I'd have to buy the Icecap Module.
I still haven't decided on a salt mix but I am looking at Coral Pro or just Reef Crystals. I plan on getting my rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater so there will be some corals already on it when it arrives according to everything that I've read.
I also found the Santa Monica Algae Scrubber. That is something else I may look into putting on my tank. Now I'm not sure if I want to use a ATS or if I want to go ahead and get a Skimmer. I haven't found very good reviews for skimmers for the Nanos, but there aren't really any reviews for the Algae Scrubbers either. I'll have to wait till I get my tank and can measure the back to see what will fit. I have tons of ideas but very limited funds! LOL

JeepinReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along! I'm also evaluating what salt I want to try to use long term. I started my lagoon up with reef crystals, but I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with it.

OP
OP
kdc

kdc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along! I'm also evaluating what salt I want to try to use long term. I started my lagoon up with reef crystals, but I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with it.

How is it doing so far? I just got my tank and my salt today.

JeepinReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it doing so far? I just got my tank and my salt today.

Reef Crystals is doing fine. All of the parameters are acceptable, but my tank is finding a balance with slightly high calcium (500 ppm) and slightly low alkalinity (7.6 dKH). I probably shouldn't worry about it, but I may try to find a salt that mixes up with calcium more in the 400-450 range. It's quite possible that I'm just focusing on the exact numbers too much, being overly perfectionist, and not being content with a natural balance with acceptable ends of the ranges.

Have fun setting up the tank!

OP
OP
kdc

kdc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We went to attach the light to the stand last night and realized that we are missing a piece. So now we'll have to wait to see if we can either get a replacement piece or put a DIY in place to hold the pole up. How far up do you think I should put my lights above my tank? I hadn't even thought that far ahead to figure that out. I was thinking 8-12 inches so I get good spread, because the light should be plenty strong enough for the tank, I think.

OP
OP
kdc

kdc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the tank set up last night. I’m either going to have to find some tubing in order to use the double tunze silence pumps or go ahead and get the the sicce pump so I can use the included plumbing. I think I’m going to get the AM HOB 1.5 skimmer. It has good reviews and I can run a heavy bio load. I’d get the AM HOB 1 but I can’t find one for sale anywhere.

D69FAA31-DE71-4242-9B4A-778AD414E34C.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back