IM 50 gallon lagoon filtration set up

proud-Noob-aquarist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m going crazy thinking about everything that I could get for my new tank. It will be a mixed reef tank and i know I want to add a dragonet. I don’t want to do filter socks I know that. I was thinking about doing a small refugium for copepods using an intankaquatics filter basket. So I guess my main question is should I buy a fleece roller and a protein skimmer to go with that refugium. I was kinda interested in getting a carbon reactor as well just to keep the water nice and clear. Or should I just do either a protein skimmer or a fleece roller. I don’t want to overdo the filtration as well. I’m not entirely against just doing filter floss on each side and then a protein skimmer. Also any advice on controls or upgrades that anyone has done for their AIO systems is love to hear them.
C7497988-BD8A-46B9-B97A-7DA7D5836D34.png

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First and foremost, don't get any IM accessories - they all suck (just trust me on this).

There's supposedly a third-party automatic fleece roller coming out for your IM tank (you'd need 2 though), but barring that just get two InTank media caddys, the InTank refugium basket (if you want to go that route) and an IceCap or Bubble Magus nano skimmer.

Just run standard filter floss in the top, ChemiPure Blue in the middle and some bio media in the bottom.

OP
OP
proud-Noob-aquarist

proud-Noob-aquarist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First and foremost, don't get any IM accessories - they all suck (just trust me on this).

There's supposedly a third-party automatic fleece roller coming out for your IM tank (you'd need 2 though), but barring that just get two InTank media caddys, the InTank refugium basket (if you want to go that route) and an IceCap or Bubble Magus nano skimmer.

Just run standard filter floss in the top, ChemiPure Blue in the middle and some bio media in the bottom.
Thank you! That’s super helpful. I’ve noticed that most people just go with what IM has to offer on their site and I wasn’t sure if it was because it was genuinely good or just because people didn’t want to look around for other alternatives. I have no problem spending the money as long as it’s a quality purchase and does a good job.

Stu_Tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
OP any update on what you ended up doing? I’m upgrading from a WB20 to an IM 50 lagoon. I planned on maybe running filter floss on both sides, chemi pure elite on one side, tons on bio media, eventually a protein skimmer and add a refugium. How’s your tank running?

Back