IM 50 lagoon build, need lighting ideas(SPS)-show me yours

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm down to just needing a few things to get my IM 50 Lagoon(bare bottom) set up and running. I'm at lighting now for a mostly SPS(think Acros) build. I was going to put 2 16 inch ReefBreeders fixtures above it with the 16 inch going from front to back. This would give me very little shadowing( something my Current USA pro got me used to, to bad they're so weak--.5 LEDs) But I'll most likely be DEAD before ReefBreeders is in stock anywhere(waited months already). Now I thinking of using 2 AI Hydra 32s. I have a few AI 16HD primes and love them, so that's why I'm leaning towards the 32s.
Give me some ideas. If you have this tank what are you using?
Oh, I want something that ramps up/down.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm down to just needing a few things to get my IM 50 Lagoon(bare bottom) set up and running. I'm at lighting now for a mostly SPS(think Acros) build. I was going to put 2 16 inch ReefBreeders fixtures above it with the 16 inch going from front to back. This would give me very little shadowing( something my Current USA pro got me used to, to bad they're so weak--.5 LEDs) But I'll most likely be DEAD before ReefBreeders is in stock anywhere(waited months already). Now I thinking of using 2 AI Hydra 32s. I have a few AI 16HD primes and love them, so that's why I'm leaning towards the 32s.
Give me some ideas. If you have this tank what are you using?
Oh, I want something that ramps up/down.
I have one Radion XR15 pro Gen 4 and It’s great but one is not enough for the width of the tank. If you want sps, you’ll need at least two of them. I have been considering switching to a Photon 24v2+ to solve the shadowing issue without spending a lot more money. However, if you are ready to go with two of the 16“ Photons it’s not that much more to go with two of the Gen 5 xr15s. I guess it really just depends on your budget and preferences. Hope this helps. I’ll be watching to check out your thread, I like to see what others do with them.

OP
OP
tnw50cal

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about the XR15, How do you have yours mounted? With the Hydras I can use the mounting arms in the 2nd chambers as I will only have bags of bio-media in them. It looks like the Radion mount doesn't reach center of the tank(14 inches from back of tank) and looks like it sags some.
Here's a preview, picked up some Caribsea shapes from LFS(at least there I can pick out the shapes and don't get broken pieces). My LTA in going in on the right(the plastic container is what it lives in filled with gravel). More "shapes" to come.
DSC03017.JPG
DSC03023.JPG

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about the XR15, How do you have yours mounted? With the Hydras I can use the mounting arms in the 2nd chambers as I will only have bags of bio-media in them. It looks like the Radion mount doesn't reach center of the tank(14 inches from back of tank) and looks like it sags some.
Here's a preview, picked up some Caribsea shapes from LFS(at least there I can pick out the shapes and don't get broken pieces). My LTA in going in on the right(the plastic container is what it lives in filled with gravel). More "shapes" to come.
DSC03017.JPG
DSC03023.JPG
Nice start on the scape. I originally was going to use the Liferock shapes but I couldn’t make the pieces I have work in a scape that I liked. They are still sitting in a box in my garage.

i Just used to standard Radion mounting arm. It looks like this.
9D8D51C6-9D12-449F-9D72-28B4FB1B7D3C.jpeg
A93DD965-9E29-4E35-B9A3-5F3C03C0C893.jpeg

If there is a sag it’s very slight. I don’t notice it at all. Never mind the cheap light next to it, that’s temporary until I either get another used Radion to match or sell the Radion and get a Photon 24v2+. I probably would have already made that change but it would mean I’d have to redo my screen top too because of how the Photon mounts work. Or spend the $140 or whatever it is for the tank mount reefbreeders makes. It’s ridiculous how much some accessories cost. Anyway, this tank definitely needs either two good lights properly spaced or a larger fixture like the Photon to avoid shadowing. I love the footprint of this tank but it’s kind of a tweener in terms of how to light it.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a Radion G4 XR30 Pro in an Aquaticlife Hybrid fixture, so an additional 4 T5 bulbs.

I have a mixed reef and everything is doing fantastic. The XR30 Pro peaks at 70% intensity.

OP
OP
tnw50cal

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, TheWB got me to looking more at the Radion xr15 . After doing a google search "Radion xr15 vs AI Hydra 32" it turns out that BRS just did a video that compared them as well as the Radion xr30 gen5 and the ReefBreeders as well as a few others. The Radion xr15 gen 5 came in number 1,the Radion xr30 gen 5 was number 2, the Hydra 32 was number 5 and the ReefBreeders was further down on the list. I've decided on the Radion XR15 Blue gen 5. BRS just got them back in stock(but they charge tax and they're out of the mount) so I'm waiting until Marine Depot(no tax) has them back in stock which should be soon.

I'm going with 2 of them.

Last edited:

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, TheWB got me to looking more at the Radion xr15 . After doing a google search "Radion xr15 vs AI Hydra 32" it turns out that BRS just did a video that compared them as well as the Radion xr30 gen5 and the ReefBreeders as well as a few others. The Radion xr15 gen 5 came in number 1,the Radion xr30 gen 5 was number 2, the Hydra 32 was number 5 and the ReefBreeders was further down on the list. I've decided on the Radion XR15 Blue gen 5. BRS just got them back in stock(but they charge tax and they're out of the mount) so I'm waiting until Marine Depot(no tax) has them back in stock which should be soon.
Glad if I could help in some small way. I think the Gen 5 has a slightly wider spread because of the way the led’s are spread out. It will be interesting to see how it lights up your tank.

ocboat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently running a single gen3 xr30 pro with an Aquaticlife hybrid T5 fixture over my 50 lagoon. I would love to upgrade to the gen 5 but this combo is working great.

IMG_3728.JPG IMG_3729.JPG

OP
OP
tnw50cal

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad if I could help in some small way. I think the Gen 5 has a slightly wider spread because of the way the led’s are spread out. It will be interesting to see how it lights up your tank.
Thanks again for making me look at the Radions---got 2 XR15 blues over my tank now--already loving them.

doh_nutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again for making me look at the Radions---got 2 XR15 blues over my tank now--already loving them.
Hi, would you happen to have a FTS with the two XR15s over your tank? Would love to see how your tank is looking now after a few months.

OP
OP
tnw50cal

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try and get one. These light are strong. I'm running them at 45% on the AB+ spectrum. Having trouble keeping nutrients up. Losing corals to bleaching- funny not the acropora but the anacropora. Some of the acropora just isn't coloring up well. Any piece of green birdsnest I put in there turns pink even if it's at the bottom.

Last edited:

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the bleaching. Any ideas why? I don’t keep sps so I don’t have much insight to offer.

doh_nutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, that blows. Hopefully you narrow down what's causing the issue. After my last reef tank 12 yrs ago, I don't plan on any SPS in this new build.

OP
OP
tnw50cal

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the bleaching. Any ideas why?
Yea, my filter is to good. My nitrate is always zero. When I test for nitrate the water is clear even when looking thru the side of the test container. I've been feeding more to the fish as well as feeding reefroids every other day with RedSea AB+ but all I got out of that is a little GHA. My phosphate is zero too. So what little nutrients get produced the GHA is using. The fish are fat and happy as are the snails, montipora,purple stylo and acropora making it and starting to darken back up. But green or red anacropora just bleaches as well as my darth maul porities( all moved to a different tank and colored back up). I'll let tank mature a few more months and put them back in.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, my filter is to good. My nitrate is always zero. When I test for nitrate the water is clear even when looking thru the side of the test container. I've been feeding more to the fish as well as feeding reefroids every other day with RedSea AB+ but all I got out of that is a little GHA. My phosphate is zero too. So what little nutrients get produced the GHA is using. The fish are fat and happy as are the snails, montipora,purple stylo and acropora making it and starting to darken back up. But green or red anacropora just bleaches as well as my darth maul porities( all moved to a different tank and colored back up). I'll let tank mature a few more months and put them back in.
Well at least you understand the problem. It‘s good that you had another place you could put those corals to recover.

OP
OP
tnw50cal

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, would you happen to have a FTS with the two XR15s over your tank? Would love to see how your tank is looking now after a few months.
Here's a picture of the tank today. Since I had the camera out he's a picture of my 5 year old granddaughter with our new bird-it's a Swainson's Blue Mountain lorikeet. It replace our Dusky Headed conure that died a few months ago after having it for 27 years. I used to breed conures, got out of it about 15 years ago, kept one pair as pets and the hen died 10 years ago.
DSC03167.JPG
DSC03166.JPG

doh_nutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow! 27 yrs old!!! I had no idea they lived that long.

Totally digging the aquascape you got going on. Leaves so much placement for corals. I just received my first box of rocks a couple days ago and started a mock up. I thought I'd enjoy aquascaping but came to the realization that I hate it. hahaha!

Trying to find the balance of placement areas for corals, flow and areas for livestock to chill in is challenging. The the epic inner-battle in my mind of barebottom or sandbed. haha

Back