I'm a two part failure! Help me switch over to a calcium reactor?

OP
OP
Shredded

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dkeller_nc... OK, great answer, and while mine is only 300 gallons I feel like I am going thru a gallon ALK and Cal every 2 weeks. Switching would at least eliminate some of this except for adjustments, plus the added benefit of whatever beneficial trace elements are added. What has me fired up about that is the strontium deficit showing on the ATI test above. Would using the reactor have prevented that, or not? I bought a strontium supplement and I am testing every two days and dozing a small amount at a time, slowing bringing it back to sea water specs.

At the same time, I have looked at C-Balance in comparison to what I have been dosing. It contains a whole lot more, including strontium plus others that could also resolve my issues, but unless it's a whole lot more concentrated than what I am using, it could get a lot more expensive too.

I just got an alert on my phone like 10 minutes ago telling me my ALK container was down to 10% and Cal will follow shortly (since I did shut it off for a few days). My tanks ALK dosing is back up and stable on the KH Director, see graph below. (the issue to the left was a bad bottle of reagent) I am stable, within about +/- .2 of 8.5 and this time when I turned the calcium on, I tied it to the second control of the Director so that if it doses a percentage less or more to adjust dKH it also adjusts the cal dosing the same percentage. We'll see how that goes.

upload_2019-4-9_11-23-37.png

OP
OP
Shredded

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to touch base on this and let everyone know how things were going. I have added Iodide and Strontium tests to my weekly testing regimen. Since then, there have been no more coral losses. Corals that were fading have colored back up. What was really noticeable was during the issue, the flesh on the corals appeared to be getting thinner all over and then the tips would start to split and recede. All of that stopped and you could tell over the next couple of weeks the flesh was again thickening and deepening in color. I think the "thinning" is not something that I noticed until it was too late, now, I think that is one thing I will look for to see how everything is doing. Algae had started growing on some of the bare areas on the coral. I have been told by many people to cut those areas off and cover the end with super glue to stop it but I didn't. It had become more of an experiment to see what would happen plus many were very hard to reach. On several of the corals, the coral began overgrowing those areas closing the "wounds". One tenuis that lost several branches has not recovered any of those branches but the coral itself was saved. I think it is worth mentioning that not all of my corals were this obviously affected. My Digitatas remained colorful and bushy throughout but lost there white and lime green growth tips. Each branch now sports a new growth tip and some have multiples. My birds Nests all have new growth spikes covering tall the branches. So, apparently at least in my ignorance it appears that those corals just went into survival mode and maintained but did not grow.
Thank you all for the help.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back