Im about to pop this fish in, should I do it? Emrg

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's been kept for 5 months with previous owner but I dont know if they qtd him, his face appears to have hhle he was kept on fish flakes! Vid is attached

My tank is:
125 fowlr

3.25" picasso
4" blue hippo
4" sailfin tang
7" foxface lo
A pair of clowns

hes a koran angel
VID:

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, if you don’t know if the fish was QT’d properly, I’d say to QT it yourself to be safe (especially since from your description it sounds like the previous owner may have made some keeping decisions with it that you may view as questionable).

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, if you don’t know if the fish was QT’d properly, I’d say to QT it yourself to be safe (especially since from your description it sounds like the previous owner may have made some keeping decisions with it that you may view as questionable).
Okay can you see the video though?

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay can you see the video though? The owner had a lot of fish and everyone seemed healthy and stuff but its main diet was high quality flakes I forgot to ask if he fed anything else he had a huge maybe 180 gallon tank, wealthy, he did know his stuff though...

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay can you see the video though? The owner had a lot of fish and everyone seemed healthy and stuff but its main diet was high quality flakes I forgot to ask if he fed anything else he had a huge maybe 180 gallon tank, wealthy, he did know his stuff though...
I’m on my phone, so I can’t see the video at the moment. If you’re willing to add it without QT, then you certainly can - I’ve just seen a few too many threads in the disease forum here about a sudden disease outbreak after a new fish is added for me personally to feel comfortable taking that chance. As I understand it, looking at both sides of the QT/ich management (no QT) debate, most people who don’t QT typically are fine until something (like an aggressive new fish) stresses their fish out. Sometimes the fish come back from it and the disease is managed, sometimes it’s not. Results may vary due to the aquarist’s skill, the disease, the fish themselves, how the fish and tank are managed, sheer luck, etc.

I personally favor QT, but I recognize it is inconvenient, and some people think it may do more harm than good. What you believe/decide to do, though, is ultimately up to you.

(As a note here not necessarily for the OP: For anyone set on not QT’ing, I’d just say to be aware that those who don’t have issues despite not QT’ing typically - like Paul B. - have a very specific method they use to mitigate disease risks; they’re not usually relying just on luck, so I’d recommend looking at what specifically they do to mitigate/manage disease risk before adding any livestock to your tank — the people who do rely on luck usually find themselves in the disease forum - according to Brandon429 - within about 8 months. I’d also suggest looking at Jay Hemdal’s quarantine protocols just to be sure you’re informed on both sides of the debate.)

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to qt him whats the link for jay hemdal

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantine is not only for diseases, It's also making sure a fish is healthy enough to enter your system. By your description, it's already looking a little bit rough. I would absolutely quarantine it, and make sure it is eating your food and thriving before driving it into a brand new tank. Before medicating, Make sure your plan of action is angel safe.

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantine is not only for diseases, It's also making sure a fish is healthy enough to enter your system. By your description, it's already looking a little bit rough. I would absolutely quarantine it, and make sure it is eating your food and thriving before driving it into a brand new tank. Before medicating, Make sure your plan of action is angel safe.
Wym angel safe im a little bit confused

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.4%
Back