I'm bleaching my old rocks for 2 weeks for prevention before cycling them in a 30 gallon container

stevediaz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm bleaching my old rocks for 2 weeks for prevention before cycling them in a 30 gallon container

I had a couple of doubts on the process I'm doing to get the best possible pest free rock I currently have any idea on anything I'm doing wrong or right ?
what I'm doing is I'm using a 10 to 1 ratio with odorless free bleach Clorox I hand picked any visible pests I can I see and pressure washed it with tap water after pressure wash I placed all the rock in the solution (10 to 1 ratio with odorless free bleach Clorox) in a 30 gallon brute container keeping it there for roughly 2 weeks then I'm gonna wash rocks with tap water to remove any bleached water then rinsing the brute container as well and placing all the rocks in the container and filling it with rodi water only for 1 week then rinsing out all rodi and repeating it again for another week after that my thoughts are to cycle rocks in salt water in the 30 gallon brute container for 4 months this will give me enough time to gather all the stuff I need and do a proper aqua scape after rocks are bleached but before I cycle for 4 months any thoughts or criticism on my thought process ??? what am I doing wrong or right pease advise

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I had a couple of doubts on the process I'm doing to get the best possible pest free rock I currently have any idea on anything I'm doing wrong or right ?
what I'm doing is I'm using a 10 to 1 ratio with odorless free bleach Clorox I hand picked any visible pests I can I see and pressure washed it with tap water after pressure wash I placed all the rock in the solution (10 to 1 ratio with odorless free bleach Clorox) in a 30 gallon brute container keeping it there for roughly 2 weeks then I'm gonna wash rocks with tap water to remove any bleached water then rinsing the brute container as well and placing all the rocks in the container and filling it with rodi water only for 1 week then rinsing out all rodi and repeating it again for another week after that my thoughts are to cycle rocks in salt water in the 30 gallon brute container for 4 months this will give me enough time to gather all the stuff I need and do a proper aqua scape after rocks are bleached but before I cycle for 4 months any thoughts or criticism on my thought process ??? what am I doing wrong or right pease advise
I think you have it covered if you’re trying to remove pests. One step you can consider though is doing a dry-out period. Let the rock completely dry out for a week or two before putting on the saltwater. This will help remove an remaining bleach also.

And if you see any pests that survive this process, put them on a SpaceX rocket to colonize Mars.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back