I'm confused about filtration media... New BioCube 32g

Zoe’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! So I'm currently planning my media baskets for a new BioCube 32g that I'll be getting next week.

So far I'm planning on doing this in my InTank media basket, top to bottom:
Filter Floss
Purigen
Chemi Pure Elite

And then I'll also be starting a refugium for chaeto next to that.

So, I'm confused because my first tank was a Fluval Evo 13.5 and in addition to purigen and phosgard, I used the stock filter sponge and stock "biological media", which was little balls/pellets for all the bacteria to grow on. I was told to never change that out because, of course, you want this beneficial bacteria to build up.

Is this biological media something that I will also need for my new 32g? If so, what do you suggest?
Or does the purigen, filter floss, chaeto, and chemi pure elite... in addition to dry rock and live sand take care of all that? Thank you in advance!

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the chaeto, rock and sand will help biological filtration but biological media generally the best 'house' for bacteria which breaks ammonia down to nitrite and nitrite into nitrate. I would HIGHLY recommend running a tank with biological media but it is possible however difficult to run one without it. Same thing goes for the biological media as on your previous tank, never replace it unless something has gone very very wrong.
As for what to suggest, how much space are you working with generally the more biological media the better.
Also, being that the purigen, filter floss and chemi pure are replaced they will not help with hosting bacteria, the rock and sand will host it but not as much as media and the chaeto will help break down ammonia, nitrite and nitrate however in different ways.
I hope that helped

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think chemi-pure along with purigen would strip the water of beneficial bacteria. Since they work so well.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use none of that in my biocube.

1st chamber, I blocked off the lower intake grate to allow for better surface skimming. I keep the heater and a few little bio brick type cubes in there (don’t remember brand) 2nd chamber, I gutted out an old factory filter cartridge, and just toss a hand full of floss right on top of it to replace easily and cheaply. Underneath the floss is my refugium- chaeto and it’s lit by a cheap amazon grow led. No little sponge between center and return pump chamber #3.

I’ve never felt or had a need to run chemipure or purigen stuff etc. if you need it, it’s always an option to put it in, if your tank doesn’t why waste money on it.

OP
OP
Zoe’s Reef

Zoe’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the chaeto, rock and sand will help biological filtration but biological media generally the best 'house' for bacteria which breaks ammonia down to nitrite and nitrite into nitrate. I would HIGHLY recommend running a tank with biological media but it is possible however difficult to run one without it. Same thing goes for the biological media as on your previous tank, never replace it unless something has gone very very wrong.
As for what to suggest, how much space are you working with generally the more biological media the better.
Also, being that the purigen, filter floss and chemi pure are replaced they will not help with hosting bacteria, the rock and sand will host it but not as much as media and the chaeto will help break down ammonia, nitrite and nitrate however in different ways.
I hope that helped
Thank you for explaining this! Do you have a certain brand of biological media that you recommend?

OP
OP
Zoe’s Reef

Zoe’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use none of that in my biocube.

1st chamber, I blocked off the lower intake grate to allow for better surface skimming. I keep the heater and a few little bio brick type cubes in there (don’t remember brand) 2nd chamber, I gutted out an old factory filter cartridge, and just toss a hand full of floss right on top of it to replace easily and cheaply. Underneath the floss is my refugium- chaeto and it’s lit by a cheap amazon grow led. No little sponge between center and return pump chamber #3.

I’ve never felt or had a need to run chemipure or purigen stuff etc. if you need it, it’s always an option to put it in, if your tank doesn’t why waste money on it.

Oh wow! That's a cool set-up. Thanks for the info! I'll do some research to see if I can find out more on the bio brick cubes. I'm looking for brand recommendations on biological media to use.

FamilyMan_4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!! That helps a lot.
Fluval Evo 13.5 and in addition to purigen and phosgard, I used the stock filter sponge and stock "biological media"

Do you still have the 13.5 running?
or still have the bag of bio media from that tank available?
It should help kickstart your biocube.

OP
OP
Zoe’s Reef

Zoe’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you still have the 13.5 running?
or still have the bag of bio media from that tank available?
It should help kickstart your biocube.
Yeah, it's still running! I'm planning on overlapping the two tanks is the only thing. Would the bio media from the 13.5 bring hitchhikers into my 32g though?

FamilyMan_4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's still running! I'm planning on overlapping the two tanks is the only thing. Would the bio media from the 13.5 bring hitchhikers into my 32g though?
Shouldn't if the media was bagged, as I think the stock media in the 13.5 is.
I would think its only the beneficial bacteria that makes it to the media, thats my understanding.

I put two bags of the matrix in my tank with the plan on using the second bag on an additional future tank to help with biofiltration kickstart.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong here, but from what I researched when I started, that media should only house beneficial bacteria.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow! That's a cool set-up. Thanks for the info! I'll do some research to see if I can find out more on the bio brick cubes. I'm looking for brand recommendations on biological media to use.

I got my cubes from algae barn in one of their packages kits of algae, pods, and phytoplankton they sell.

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for explaining this! Do you have a certain brand of biological media that you recommend?
with enough space I would recommend marine pure or the mantis media plates or the bright well bricks
with limited space, the aqua one bio noodles.
I have only personally used the marine pure balls and gems and the aqua one bio noodles, I'm also planning on using the marine pure blocks on a bigger tank. They all can get the job done it just depends on space, how much you need and availability. I have seen the mantis plates used in person on a Red Sea peninsula and they seem to be doing a great job and very neat but I haven't seen much online on them but I would be interested in trying them in future.

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my Biocube 16, I had the InTank media basket for it, and for the most part only had chaeto growing in it, with some filter floss on the top, and then I would place a bag of activated carbon in the return chamber above the pump. Never had any major algae issues, at least nothing like hair algae, or a severe bubble algae infestation, or even diatoms or dinoflagellates. I would get film algae on the glass, but I don't think I have ever seen anyone not get film algae on their glass.

That said, the 16 only had small chambers (taking the pump out for maintenance was difficult as I could not fit my arm into the chamber far enough down to grab it due to it being too narrow for my wrist to pass through), whereas the 32 has much larger chambers, especially the middle one. So you have more room for more filter media. In addition, if you do ever get real bad algae problems that all your media and your refugium can't seem to handle by themselves, then you could always get either the Corallife Skimmer for the Biocube 32 (but I think it requires you to not modify the first chamber like I did in my 16 for placing my thermometer in it, which I believe someone had already mentioned doing earlierin this thread), or maybe even get a nano algae reactor.

I am not sure if I am understanding correctly or not, but are you going to be running both the Biocube and the Evo simultaneously, or moving everything from the Evo to the Biocube?

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen people combine them with success, so I'm hoping for the same. What do you normally run?

In my current system I have macro algea reactor. Reactor with Rhowaphos. Clarisea filter roller. Uv sterilizer.

when I ran my IM nuvo20 I ran filter sock in a chamber and other side refugium With chaeto.

OP
OP
Zoe’s Reef

Zoe’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my Biocube 16, I had the InTank media basket for it, and for the most part only had chaeto growing in it, with some filter floss on the top, and then I would place a bag of activated carbon in the return chamber above the pump. Never had any major algae issues, at least nothing like hair algae, or a severe bubble algae infestation, or even diatoms or dinoflagellates. I would get film algae on the glass, but I don't think I have ever seen anyone not get film algae on their glass.

That said, the 16 only had small chambers (taking the pump out for maintenance was difficult as I could not fit my arm into the chamber far enough down to grab it due to it being too narrow for my wrist to pass through), whereas the 32 has much larger chambers, especially the middle one. So you have more room for more filter media. In addition, if you do ever get real bad algae problems that all your media and your refugium can't seem to handle by themselves, then you could always get either the Corallife Skimmer for the Biocube 32 (but I think it requires you to not modify the first chamber like I did in my 16 for placing my thermometer in it, which I believe someone had already mentioned doing earlierin this thread), or maybe even get a nano algae reactor.

I am not sure if I am understanding correctly or not, but are you going to be running both the Biocube and the Evo simultaneously, or moving everything from the Evo to the Biocube?
Thank you for all this info! Unfortunately with the Evo I had awful hair algae and cyanobacteria problems that quickly got out of hand and very frustrating as I felt like I tried everything.... until now I realize I probably was doing everything wrong by using the stock filtration that came with it. I was missing big parts of the whole filtration process.

I'm going to be moving only the fish from the Evo to the Biocube, and then shutting down the Evo and giving away the remaining rocks/corals in it (which isn't much at this point). I just want the Biocube to be cycled before I put the fish in of course, so I'll keep the Evo running until it's moving day.

OP
OP
Zoe’s Reef

Zoe’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with enough space I would recommend marine pure or the mantis media plates or the bright well bricks
with limited space, the aqua one bio noodles.
I have only personally used the marine pure balls and gems and the aqua one bio noodles, I'm also planning on using the marine pure blocks on a bigger tank. They all can get the job done it just depends on space, how much you need and availability. I have seen the mantis plates used in person on a Red Sea peninsula and they seem to be doing a great job and very neat but I haven't seen much online on them but I would be interested in trying them in future.
Thank you! I will look up all of those.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back