Im getting Orange Spotted Filefish// OSF Journey

YeetReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been eyeing orange spotted filefish and have been reading up on them for so long and i have finally pulled the trigger and bought a pair off divers den. I will be updating my journey of them here!! My tank is an aqumaxxx22 mixed reef and I have stocked up on a variety of frozen foods and I have sps at the ready for when I am weaning them onto frozen foods. I will first get them onto live foods before I try flakes such as ocean nutrition reef flakes and pellets. I have seen mass stick and will put an order within the week or so. I have already timed out my light schedule for when I home because I am still a high school student so the multiple feeding was a problem but I believe to have found the perfect schedule. I should be either getting the fish Wednesday, November 12- Thursday, November 14

Last edited:
OP
OP
YeetReef

YeetReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received them and already acclimated they are in the tank and already seem to be picking at rock and algae. Will try to feed later tonight they look very well acclimated and one follows the other. Might be the cutest pair fish I have ever seen :D

OP
OP
YeetReef

YeetReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a couple of sps frag and they do seem to be picking at it but I'm not the biggest sps guy so im fine with it as long as they are happy and healthy.

OP
OP
YeetReef

YeetReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO far the female is very comfortable and has eaten frozen brine shrimp, baby brine shrimp and fish eggs, Male is still scared . and skittish but he ate like 4 pieces of food. will be doing constant and heavy feedings for the first weeks or until they are more acquainted with it.

OP
OP
YeetReef

YeetReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fed them today for the first time and they were both acclimated and hungry. They ate brine shrimp and fish eggs and are ferociously looking for the food. Super excited that they are doing well and they have seemed to have stopped eating my sps frags for the time being.

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fed them today for the first time and they were both acclimated and hungry. They ate brine shrimp and fish eggs and are ferociously looking for the food. Super excited that they are doing well and they have seemed to have stopped eating my sps frags for the time being.

any updates?

OP
OP
YeetReef

YeetReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any updates?
oh kinda forgot but I did lose to the female after 2 weeks. she was eating fine but I think she got hurt by something and then became very skittish then eventually died. However, the Male has been doing amazing. If you want to check my Instagram I have some videos it's the same name as my account. The male has been feeding primarily on frozen fish eggs and absolutely loves them. I feed him at least twice a day and he takes hunts it like a beast. I really think both were fine with the food just Got unlucky with the female. He did no pick at my sps that I had as long as I had fed him but if I was gone for a day he had a little sps to snack on but still he never seems to pick at it. Only at the beginning when they both came in. I'm going to be looking for a female to partner for him and I don't think this species is as hard as everyone thinks. Maybe I just got lucky. Sorry for the spelling errors lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Extremely beautiful fish but hard to get them to eat continuously . Pods and live foods will offer best success of survival

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back