I'm getting out of this hobby

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm out I have thousands of dollars invested in this hobby, Apex and Ecotech should be ashamed of themselves for the very poor customer service.
There was really no need to go for the expensive start up method. Cheap works well, just gotta keep your eye on the ball.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry those companies didn't live up to your expectations, but don't throw in the towel. You can still enjoy this hobby without all that fancy equipment.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm out I have thousands of dollars invested in this hobby, Apex and Ecotech should be ashamed of themselves for the very poor customer service.
Now that you're going to have all that worry free, stress free time on your hands. What's next?

Justin Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I nearly did the same things a few years ago. I broke most everything down except the larger display tank. It just seemed like too much work so I let it be. I would test 3-4 time a year and do somewhat regular water changes. I did dose 2 part, kinda, but it was always too low since I wasn't testing that much. At some point I got interested again and it was just like starting from scratch but I still had a lot of equipment to play with. I was too lazy to break down that last tank & too lazy to sell the equipment that I didn't need anymore. "I'll do it next week" was my mantra and after about 2 years I was back! If you can, hang in there, simplify and give it some time.

cbjay10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
firsttime.gif

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your situation! Hopefully you will change your mind and stay in the hobby.
I subscribed to the KISS method of Reefing; Stick to the more proven brands when it comes to critical equipment. I do have EcoTech Lights and happy with them so far. No controller of any kind (beside pH) and just use good old timers to control everything else.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm betting some sort of equipment failure that the OP wasn't prepared for, since they are alluding to Neptune & Ecotech being the reason for getting out.
To call out both companies tho seems a bit of an overkill. I've used products from both for years, so very curious how customer service causes folks to quit. I.e. I wouldn't stop driving just cause a car dealership screws me over on service, which they do all the time :)

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always hate to hear this. Starting in the mid 90’s I had low tech tanks for 16 years that were very successful. I was out of the hobby for 10 years and jumped back in over a year ago and am basically still running a low tech reef tank. What little extra maintenance I do, I enjoy. You can make it as expensive and technical as you want with the same amount of success. I wish you the best either way ( though I’m pulling for you to stay in).

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am guessing that the corals are the reason you feel discouraged. You could switch to a fish only aquarium and still enjoy the hobby. Fish do not require as much care, nor do they need expensive and sophisticated equipment.
That is the reason, I do not have any fancy machine I felt I would never be able to set them up and maintain them. (I am an old lady, who barely managed a laptop and a cell phone). I Just have the basic HOB filter, light, heater and one power head. I do not test, an my fish are fine.
When I wanted to do something a little different, I have a smaller tank with macro algae. It gives color and I just put a few small carnivore fish in it. Again, no computerized machine. It is still very rewarding, and not as stressful. Again I do not test or do anything complicated. I occasionnaly take a water sample to my LFS.
My oldest fish must be 12 years old, and the last one I just added 2 month.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To call out both companies tho seems a bit of an overkill. I've used products from both for years, so very curious how customer service causes folks to quit. I.e. I wouldn't stop driving just cause a car dealership screws me over on service, which they do all the time :)
Meh. I'm not strong on either brand, the turn around for troubleshooting on Neptune's part is beyond lousy. Once a day turnaround on emails and scheduling a call if needed to jack into the unit up to several weeks in advance. Frankly hot garbage. Any other 1k+ electronic investment I've had is a bit more prompt about service.

P.S. I don't do dealerships for that reason. I work on my own or go to a trusted independent mechanic that won't screw me.... Which isn't a option for failed Ecotech or Neptune parts (for the most part).

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always hate to hear this. Starting in the mid 90’s I had low tech tanks for 16 years that were very successful. I was out of the hobby for 10 years and jumped back in over a year ago and am basically still running a low tech reef tank. What little extra maintenance I do, I enjoy. You can make it as expensive and technical as you want with the same amount of success. I wish you the best either way ( though I’m pulling for you to stay in).
Low tech worked for me for the first 15 years of this. When I got back in, in 2015, controllers and electronic this n that was the craze. I've embraced the controller aspect, but the automated testing and fadish led's, meh to that.

Back