I'm going to rinse my sand bed. Who else has done this?

Have you ever "rinsed" your sand bed?

• Yes

Votes: 111 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 293 62.9%
  • Not sure what that does

Votes: 62 13.3%

• Total voters

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before and after. Couldnt keep GHA, cyano and diatoms away to save my life or my coral.

20190227_155926.jpg 20190715_194704.jpg 20190726_103032.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salty, wow that’s great work

Sarcophyton

Here’s when we think it’s required to rinse: when people seek help successfully transferring tanks during home moves and when they repeatedly post in a thread for assistance on fixing cyano and diatom and in a few cases dinos. I don’t know of any thread that collects as many cyano cures in one place as the sand rinse thread, so I guess rinsing can be stated to be the top cyano cure when size of tank allows such access. Acknowledged chemi clean will get an initial kill, but we think the recurring invasions and tradeoff invasions found in chemi clean work threads are the result of leaving all the waste/fuel in the bed to just feed some other opportunist

But rinsing has such a powerful controlled outcome

If one were to make a house transfer thread that involved moving sandbeds as is, full waste inclusion, then there will be losses and recycles in the thread as pages unfold due to the varying nature of full waste systems

It’s also handy to have the skill of being able to skip cycle deep clean a system when working tank invasion threads, part of the toolbox that makes up pages of good outcome patterns. Rinsing is a core skill, work threads show.

All activities of rinsing so far here seemed positive / it’s simply a clean restart method without having to build bacteria back up, they endure all cleaning methods.

That tank right above could’ve chose to dose meds into the massed/invaded condition tank and await mass die off

But rinsing, cleaning or mass quick export -then- applying preventatives in the ideal condition means only growback mass is having to be worked, far less target in the system to remass quickly. Tank rinsing is powerful

Last edited:

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everytime I change my water, I try to stir parts of the sand bed to clean it some, but it's always a detritus trap. I don't think I'd ever want to go BB, but after reading THIS THREAD on sand rinsing, I'm going to try this. I'm going to pull my sand bed and rinse it completely till there's no cloud left coming out of it.

Who else has tried this?
I’m going to post about my insane obsession, which is vacuuming the surface of my sand to pull up detritus, and then rinsing the sand in SW, curing it like live rock, and putting it back a month or so later. Just did it for first time and nothing has died; no dire consequences. Just a top layer of clean sand.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rinsed my Fiji pink. Went thru @brandon429 thread and liked it. I pulled gravel and put in the sand. I rinsed the heck out of the sand. Now I use a Kent long handled scraper to stir the bed once week. Clouds of poop and food float up but I see the sand fall right back to the bottom

I do that and clean the glass every so often . Then my water change is just that. I drop a hose to suck out water. Then I attach the hose to a mag pump in the brute to refill. All done, no mess, sat on the couch watching it drain and refill

Back