Im having a poblem with my tang he has duck lips i have him qt with my other fish i need some help?? thank you guys

Salvador pulido

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210918_114605.jpg
20210918_114607.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Is it breathing fast?
Is it feeding ok?
It looks to be in a quarantine system, what are you treating it with?

Jay

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It almost looks like mouth rot. Is he eating?

Do you see flaking skin from the lip.

For mouth infections: furan 2 and sulfaplex antibiotics. If he isn’t eating you need to act quick.

I’m not saying he has mouth rot. But it looks like a possible diagnosis.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes hes breathing fast and he has 3 days with out eating bro im treating him with cuprimine jay
Get him out of the copper and run the antibiotic I mentioned above. Soak food in garlic (fish attractant). Sounds like a gram negative bacterial infection.

Do not add copper until he is healed and eating. Copper suppresses immune system to the point where some fish can’t fight bacterial infections on their own. Especially if the bacteria is gram negative.

OP
OP
Salvador pulido

Salvador pulido

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It almost looks like mouth rot. Is he eating?

Do you see flaking skin from the lip.

For mouth infections: furan 2 and sulfaplex antibiotics. If he isn’t eating you need to act quick.

I’m not saying he has mouth rot. But it looks like a possible diagnosis.
Hes not eating at all he has 3 days with out eating Miami ReeF.. no he dsnt have flaking skin from hes lip looks like swollen big lips bro ..oh ok thank you bro

OP
OP
Salvador pulido

Salvador pulido

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get him out of the copper and run the antibiotic I mentioned above. Soak food in garlic (fish attractant). Sounds like a gram negative bacterial infection.

Do not add copper until he is healed and eating. Copper suppresses immune system to the point where some fish can’t fight bacterial infections on their own. Especially if the bacteria is gram negative.
Thank you for your help Miami ReeF

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hes not eating at all he has 3 days with out eating Miami ReeF.. no he dsnt have flaking skin from hes lip looks like swollen big lips bro ..oh ok thank you bro
I found a resource for you.

401606ED-F13B-44A4-95E2-1D7CD456CF46.jpeg

Humblefish (2015)
”Right now all I see is swelling, so you could add some Epsom salt to the water (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons) to help with that. If that doesn't help, then go with the Erythromycin.

FYI; I recommend you observe for at least two weeks post TTM to watch for signs of other diseases (brook, velvet, bacterial infection, etc.”

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the information above, I’m confident that this is an injury that has NOT turned into an infection (yet). I wouldn’t dose furan 2 & sulfaplex yet. I would follow the erythromycin and epsom salt. Definitely remove that fish from copper. That medicine suppresses immune system which will only work against you. The most important thing is to get him to eat.

I would feel confident in keeping temps around 76F to further reduce swelling. Keep him in a separate unmedicated tank until he gets better. Then you may continue copper treatment.

OP
OP
Salvador pulido

Salvador pulido

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a resource for you.

401606ED-F13B-44A4-95E2-1D7CD456CF46.jpeg

Humblefish (2015)
”Right now all I see is swelling, so you could add some Epsom salt to the water (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons) to help with that. If that doesn't help, then go with the Erythromycin.

FYI; I recommend you observe for at least two weeks post TTM to watch for signs of other diseases (brook, velvet, bacterial infection, etc.”
Thank you so much Miami ReeF

OP
OP
Salvador pulido

Salvador pulido

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the information above, I’m confident that this is an injury that has NOT turned into an infection (yet). I wouldn’t dose furan 2 & sulfaplex yet. I would follow the erythromycin and epsom salt. Definitely remove that fish from copper. That medicine suppresses immune system which will only work against you. The most important thing is to get him to eat.

I would feel confident in keeping temps around 76F to further reduce swelling. Keep him in a separate unmedicated tank until he gets better. Then you may continue copper treatment.
Ok thank you for all the information bro

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What is the erythromycin medication for fish? (Name)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The trouble is that rapid breathing is most likely not a symptom of bacterial disease. More likely it is protozoan. Removing it from the copper would then be a mistake.
And please don’t advise people to add Epsom salts to their marine tanks. This is an old school freshwater treatment. Magnesium sulfate is the fourth most prevalent salt in seawater mixes, adding a little more is of no benefit.

Jay

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trouble is that rapid breathing is most likely not a symptom of bacterial disease. More likely it is protozoan. Removing it from the copper would then be a mistake.
And please don’t advise people to add Epsom salts to their marine tanks. This is an old school freshwater treatment. Magnesium sulfate is the fourth most prevalent salt in seawater mixes, adding a little more is of no benefit.

Jay
So does that change the treatment? I’m asking because I had a Convict tang with the same issue that died.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 50.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 62 54.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.0%
Back