Im having a poblem with my tang he has duck lips i have him qt with my other fish i need some help?? thank you guys

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not my post. I had a situation where I experienced this exact situation, and I want to know what to do in the future if I ever come across this again.
Ah. I got mixed up.

@Jay Hemdal Let’s ignore the fact this fish is heavy breathing for a second. How can we know for certain the OP knows what heavy breathing looks like? I even have trouble identifying heavy breathing!

Now here’s why I’m worried about keeping the copper. First, we don’t know how long this fish has been in copper for, but we know it’s been at least 3 days.

Ich nor velvet causes this lip issue. The fish probably got a wound from hitting itself, the net, etc.

I really don’t think it’s likely a parasite infestation is causing this. Especially if it’s already been 3+ days.

This fish isn’t eating, and that’s the main issue. Most probably because of the swollen lips.

If this was my fish I’d get it into antibiotics ASAP. Copper only suppresses appetite and lowers immune system. Do you have a way to reduce inflammation and get the fish eating while in copper?

I still go by my suggestion with colder water and antibiotics. The colder water also improves oxygen.

If you were worried about parasite infestation you could do a freshwater dip daily or every few days.

If a fish refuses to eat big red flags raise for me.

I honestly think erythromycin isn’t strong/fast enough. I think I’d feel better with the trifecta of metronidazole, furan 2, and Kanaplex.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah. I got mixed up.

@Jay Hemdal Let’s ignore the fact this fish is heavy breathing for a second. How can we know for certain the OP knows what heavy breathing looks like? I even have trouble identifying heavy breathing!

Now here’s why I’m worried about keeping the copper. First, we don’t know how long this fish has been in copper for, but we know it’s been at least 3 days.

Ich nor velvet causes this lip issue. The fish probably got a wound from hitting itself, the net, etc.

I really don’t think it’s likely a parasite infestation is causing this. Especially if it’s already been 3+ days.

This fish isn’t eating, and that’s the main issue. Most probably because of the swollen lips.

If this was my fish I’d get it into antibiotics ASAP. Copper only suppresses appetite and lowers immune system. Do you have a way to reduce inflammation and get the fish eating while in copper?

I still go by my suggestion with colder water and antibiotics. The colder water also improves oxygen.

If you were worried about parasite infestation you could do a freshwater dip daily or every few days.

If a fish refuses to eat big red flags raise for me.

I honestly think erythromycin isn’t strong/fast enough. I think I’d feel better with the trifecta of metronidazole, furan 2, and Kanaplex.
Trouble is, I can't "ignore" that the fish is reported as breathing rapidly - that is a major symptom. If the OP is wrong in that assessment, well, I can only work wiht what info I'm given.

The "duck mouth" could simply be rapid open mouth breathing.

Jay

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trouble is, I can't "ignore" that the fish is reported as breathing rapidly - that is a major symptom. If the OP is wrong in that assessment, well, I can only work wiht what info I'm given.

The "duck mouth" could simply be rapid open mouth breathing.

Jay
So if I’m getting this correctly: OP should continue medications and wait it out?

You are the disease expert on the forum, so I don’t want to derail this thread from your expertise any longer.

Just please let OP know exactly how you want him to proceed with the fish. I noticed you asked about behavioral and physical symptoms, so I hope a diagnosis can be made soon.

Good luck OP!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210918_114605.jpg
20210918_114607.jpg

Circling back to this. Is the fish still alive? Can you post a short video of it?

Jay

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see the video.

Stay put. I’m in the middle of asking a different disease expert for a second opinion. I will get back here when I have an answer.

In the meantime, get a video posted on YouTube and paste the link here.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang is breathing at 200 gill beats per minute, this is right at the point of respiratory collapse. This is caused by either a systemic gill infection or severe water quality issues. I didn't see the clown and the foxface in this video, did you move the tang to a new tank?

I know that @Miami Reef doesn't agree with my assessment, but it is what it is. The chances of this being a bacterial infection are slim, and being able to successfully treat a bacterial infection that has become systemic is almost nil. Thus, I was advising you to not to remove the copper and to watch the other fish closely. You do need to confirm that this isn't a water quality issue - I didn't dwell on that aspect because the clown and the foxface would also show signs if it was the water.

Jay

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang is breathing at 200 gill beats per minute, this is right at the point of respiratory collapse. This is caused by either a systemic gill infection or severe water quality issues. I didn't see the clown and the foxface in this video, did you move the tang to a new tank?

I know that @Miami Reef doesn't agree with my assessment, but it is what it is. The chances of this being a bacterial infection are slim, and being able to successfully treat a bacterial infection that has become systemic is almost nil. Thus, I was advising you to not to remove the copper and to watch the other fish closely. You do need to confirm that this isn't a water quality issue - I didn't dwell on that aspect because the clown and the foxface would also show signs if it was the water.

Jay
What do you think about a methylene blue bath?

Edit: ignore this!

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal Someone on the other forum is saying it could be gill and lip flukes. That sounds highly plausible cause and the treatment (prazipro) is a risk free approach. Sitting and waiting for this fish to pass is not an option for me.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal Someone on the other forum is saying it could be gill and lip flukes. That sounds highly plausible cause and the treatment (prazipro) is a risk free approach. Sitting and waiting for this fish to pass is not an option for me.
There really isn’t such a thing as “lip flukes”. Gill flukes is a possibility, but there is some history missing here: gill flukes cause rapid breathing and lots of flashing. The infected fish don’t stop eating until the tail end of the infection. I’m not sure if this fish never ate, or was eating but stopped three days ago. If the latter, then it could be flukes.
A 5 minute FW dip might be diagnostic, but with a fish at 200 BPM, it could also be fatal.
Jay

OP
OP
Salvador pulido

Salvador pulido

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Hes same tank just take out all the copper out from the water and i always take 40 percent water out tank so my ammonia is around 0.50

There really isn’t such a thing as “lip flukes”. Gill flukes is a possibility, but there is some history missing here: gill flukes cause rapid breathing and lots of flashing. The infected fish don’t stop eating until the tail end of the infection. I’m not sure if this fish never ate, or was eating but stopped three days ago. If the latter, then it could be flukes.
A 5 minute FW dip might be diagnostic, but with a fish at 200 BPM, it could also be fatal.
Jay

OP
OP
Salvador pulido

Salvador pulido

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
My other fishes are doing great but not eating how they usto eat so im doing the treatment that Miami Reef recommended..so wake up i see my tang is more active swimming around the tank and the rest of others fishes..

OP
OP
Salvador pulido

Salvador pulido

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see the video.

Stay put. I’m in the middle of asking a different disease expert for a second opinion. I will get back here when I have an answer.

In the meantime, get a video posted on YouTube and paste the link herwith the medication that u recommend me bro just put 2 pack yesterday when i wake up today seen my tang more active swimming around tank thing the medication is working i let you know when hes feels much better bro

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other fishes are doing great but not eating how they usto eat so im doing the treatment that Miami Reef recommended..so wake up i see my tang is more active swimming around the tank and the rest of others fishes..
What treatment did you use exactly?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the fish eating? That’s the most important part.

Back