I'm having Trouble with....

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not algae, but some sort of fuzzy, light tan, photosynthetic, (and I assume) bacteria. It grows mostly on the plastic surfaces inside the tank, and to a lesser extent the rocks. It can be blown or brushed all of all the surfaces easily, but returns in less than 24 hours. I just can't get it to go away.

I've tried waiting it out, then tried Vibrant, Chemiclean, lights out, water changes, no water changes, skimming wet, no skimming, raising nitrates, lower nitrates, & etc.. Nothing seems to have any long term effect.

Right now N reads about 10ppm, P is about .07ppm... pH stays 7.9-8.1... Temp stays 80+/-1 F... Salinity is 34ppt. I have a 8X 54 W Sunpower that ramps up to 50% over a 4 hour period, holds for 3 hours, and then ramps down for 4 hours. It has 6X Blue Plus and 2X Purple Plus bulbs. I currently have a skimmer and a small GAC reactor running. I started the tank with dry rock and a few piecs of live rock about 8 months ago, and except for some red turf algae (or sponge) I don't have algae issues.

The tank is a 90 gallon and the rocks are glued/cemented together so removal is not an option. There are no corals in the tank yet. I'm contemplating trying peroxide, but am kind of worried about putting it in the tank.

Does anyone have any suggestion that might help me rid my tank of this pest? Thanks.

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps a UV light since you tried everything else

OP
OP
ReefGeezer

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have aragonite sand on most of the bottom... where the flow puts it anyway. Clean up crew is light... Snails, Hermit Crabs, and a Sea Hare. I have 11 well fed fish: 3 Anthias; 2 Damsels; a Percula Clown; a Melanurus Wrasse; 3 three PJ Cardinals; and a Barred Goby. Oh, I do have one coral... a green toadstool. It and the fish are happy as a clams. I've been putting off adding anything else until I get through this phase, but it is lasting entirely too long. I lost patience about two months ago.

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquaforest Lifesource may do the trick. I have been trying to do some research on the biomes in our systems and this stuff looks promising.

OP
OP
ReefGeezer

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what happens in 24 hours 1X & 10X
20210913_192454.jpg
20210913_192215.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back