I'm looking for good books about reef chemistry and/or biology

richarddeweerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says.

I'm looking to expand my knowledge about the biology and chemistry of reefs and it's inhabitants. I would love to get a job in a big public aquarium. And if I have some more knowledge besides my technical knowledge I will be more successful in getting that dream job.

So, are there any must read basic level books. They don't have to be tailored for aquariums.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a pristine copy of Stephen Spotte's "Seawater Aquariums" on Amazon for $9. I also got his "Fish and Invertebrate Culture" for $7. These are both old books, but I wouldn't expect the actual chemistry to have changed too much (grin). I had them both in my library many years ago, but lost them when I loaned them out, so I wanted to re-buy them.

You mentioned wanting to work at a public aquarium. I just posted a PDF version of my "Aquarium Careers" book here on R2R. You can download it for free. Go to the articles section in the banner above, it should be near the top of the list. The file download is on the right side of the page.

Jay Hemdal

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not aware of any good reef chemistry books, but the articles linked here cover most reef chemistry issue in more depth than general reef books:

OP
OP
richarddeweerd

richarddeweerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not aware of any good reef chemistry books, but the articles linked here cover most reef chemistry issue in more depth than general reef books:

I'm reading like crazy. I even dug up my chemistry book from high school :)

OP
OP
richarddeweerd

richarddeweerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a pristine copy of Stephen Spotte's "Seawater Aquariums" on Amazon for $9. I also got his "Fish and Invertebrate Culture" for $7. These are both old books, but I wouldn't expect the actual chemistry to have changed too much (grin). I had them both in my library many years ago, but lost them when I loaned them out, so I wanted to re-buy them.

You mentioned wanting to work at a public aquarium. I just posted a PDF version of my "Aquarium Careers" book here on R2R. You can download it for free. Go to the articles section in the banner above, it should be near the top of the list. The file download is on the right side of the page.

Jay Hemdal
Thanks that is a great read on a rainy sunday

amandaturciya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay Hemdal
Thanks, I also read that these are great books for learning about reefs! But I have a question, are they suitable for an absolute beginner?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I also read that these are great books for learning about reefs! But I have a question, are they suitable for an absolute beginner?
I don't think so - I have to read them very carefully, and there are still whole sections that I don't understand (grin). I'm struggling to think of a good reef book for you.... there haven't been any published in the past five years. I think your best resource is right here (Randy's chemistry articles are in a few posts back).

Jay

amandaturciya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think so - I have to read them very carefully, and there are still whole sections that I don't understand (grin). I'm struggling to think of a good reef book for you.... there haven't been any published in the past five years. I think your best resource is right here (Randy's chemistry articles are in a few posts back).

Jay Thanks, I also read that these are great books for learning about reefs! But I have a question, are they suitable for an absolute beginner? In biology, I already studied a little about reefs, but then I read the PapersOwl review and decided to use this service to prepare the assignment. Nevertheless, I became very interested in this topic and now I would like to get at least basic knowledge.

Thanks, I will follow your advice!

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back