I'm looking to change up flow for my vortech mp40. Are there any covers on the market?

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I've been searching around for a cover that narrows the flow of mp40s. I run a 4' peninsula, sps dominant and find that the flow is kinda lacking on the front 1/4 of the tank. It really drops off. When I crank the power up the turbulence gets gnarly in the first 3/4 of the tank, to the point of being over kill.

So is there a cover for mp40s to narrow the flow, or does anyone print them here? I've seen nem guards so it got me thinking why I can't find them.

Second question/idea:
I was scared to drill holes in the bottom pane for a closed loop on this build but really wanted one. I will NOT put pumps on the viewing sides. After thinking about it, I wonder why no one, including vortech, has made mp10/mp40/mp60 covers to target peninsula builds? They are the perfect pump to be used on the bottom pane without drilling holes. There just needs to be a cover designed similar to tunze's stream 3 elbow attachment or a cap attachment that deflects flow out 360 degrees. Anyone seen one or have an urge to design one?

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post your idea in the 3D thread and I am sure some one will. Sisterlemonpot there does real nice 3D design work.
I really not sure a different cover is needed, unless your tank is very shallow. You could just glue a piece on the end to deflect flow. I have a good vision of what would work, but no more pumps to measure. I don't have the 3D design skills yet sadly.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post your idea in the 3D thread and I am sure some one will. Sisterlemonpot there does real nice 3D design work.
I really not sure a different cover is needed, unless your tank is very shallow. You could just glue a piece on the end to deflect flow. I have a good vision of what would work, but no more pumps to measure. I don't have the 3D design skills yet sadly.
Check out @Dierks , got great 3d screen top parts from him
Thanks for the heads up guys. I’ll probably post there.
My tank is pretty shallow and rimless. I set the water line a little high when I drilled the overflow so that is my largest obstacle. I dropped the reefcrest mode for anti sync long 25 second pulses at 80% and that seems to have helped so far.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get some one to design it I can print it for you.
After 2 days of this flow I can tell it's what I was looking for. If its not very large and glued down its gonna slide even at the end now so I'm golden.

If I do go that route, I'll hit you up and appreciate the offer laverda.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back