I'm New to Saltwater. How Should I Stock a 30 Gallon?

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you recommend a specific order of adding these fish to minimise behavioural issues like aggression? Honestly, I don't foresee myself being able to accommodate unsuitable tankmates in another tank so I hope to avoid stock issues entirely
You can always bring them back to the store if they misbehave. Really, the order you have them in is the order I would introduce them in. Again, that could all be for naught. Just have a plan if things don't work out, like returning misbehaving fish or get acquainted with a reef or marine fish club in your area, if any, to rehome.

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want sps later, the green goby will probably munch on them

OP
OP
J

joemonkaquat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
forktail blenny
They definitely have interesting colouration, but will their 5 inch size be pushing it in the 30 gallon? Of the little I’ve been able to read of them, it seems they’re venomous, is that likely to be an issue for myself, tank mates or corals?

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They definitely have interesting colouration, but will their 5 inch size be pushing it in the 30 gallon? Of the little I’ve been able to read of them, it seems they’re venomous, is that likely to be an issue for myself, tank mates or corals?
no issue, being invenomated feels like being stung like a bee, if the forktail blenny happens to bite you which is very uncommon. They hide and perch most of the time, so size shouldnt be a problem

OP
OP
J

joemonkaquat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently tossing up between the fork tail and striped blenny, both look amazing. Because they’re venomous, is it true that they’re generally more bold and explore the water column more often? I’m kind of hoping they still display the hiding and perching behaviour like that of the bi colour blenny

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently tossing up between the fork tail and striped blenny, both look amazing. Because they’re venomous, is it true that they’re generally more bold and explore the water column more often? I’m kind of hoping they still display the hiding and perching behaviour like that of the bi colour blenny
no, they still perch like the others.

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1627166497310.png

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking to get a 30 gallon reef tank started. With a bit of research, I've come up with a few stocking ideas. Would love some input, interesting recommendations (particularly nano or inverts) or just general tips. Cheers.

Absolutely Want:
- Green Coral Goby
- Firefish (Red? Purple? - potentially a pair of either?)
- Bi-colour blenny

Possibility/interested in :
- ocellaris clown pair (I'm not confident about how large they'd get - would need to substitute one of the above fish likely)

I'm confident I want a range of invertebrates like hermits and conch snails but still need a lot more research/need to check for what's available in my area.

I don't have a great concept of the bioload of these fish. I'd prefer to keep a low bioload/stocking level to make maintenance as easy as possible, so please let me know if any of these fish combinations would put a strain on that.

Clearly, I'm a pretty long way from knowing all of the saltwater livestock options out there, so please feel free to suggest any that interest you. A guideline for appropriate parameters for this tank would also be greatly appreciated.
A very reasonable stocking list for a newbie. Nice job!

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking to get a 30 gallon reef tank started. With a bit of research, I've come up with a few stocking ideas. Would love some input, interesting recommendations (particularly nano or inverts) or just general tips. Cheers.

Absolutely Want:
- Green Coral Goby
- Firefish (Red? Purple? - potentially a pair of either?)
- Bi-colour blenny

Possibility/interested in :
- ocellaris clown pair (I'm not confident about how large they'd get - would need to substitute one of the above fish likely)

I'm confident I want a range of invertebrates like hermits and conch snails but still need a lot more research/need to check for what's available in my area.

I don't have a great concept of the bioload of these fish. I'd prefer to keep a low bioload/stocking level to make maintenance as easy as possible, so please let me know if any of these fish combinations would put a strain on that.

Clearly, I'm a pretty long way from knowing all of the saltwater livestock options out there, so please feel free to suggest any that interest you. A guideline for appropriate parameters for this tank would also be greatly appreciated.
A very reasonable stocking list for a newbie. Nice job

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I agree with many as to your stock list. Most important, assure they are healthy and from a reliable store. Do know:
- You have the right to ask to see it eat (take note of what they are feeding it )
- Observe the fishs' breathing- should not be labored
- Look at its' body for sores, white salt grains (ich)
- Assure its not darting or scratching
- See how its interacting with others in the tank

** Acclimate properly and research acclimation principles **

OP
OP
J

joemonkaquat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with many as to your stock list. Most important, assure they are healthy and from a reliable store. Do know:
- You have the right to ask to see it eat (take note of what they are feeding it )
- Observe the fishs' breathing- should not be labored
- Look at its' body for sores, white salt grains (ich)
- Assure its not darting or scratching
- See how its interacting with others in the tank

** Acclimate properly and research acclimation principles **
Thanks for all the tips, this forum is great

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For coral, some easier ones to start with could include:

Duncan coral
Mushrooms
Zoas
Leathers
Xenia (this can take over in some tanks, just a watch out)
I’d avoid SPS for a while as they are much more difficult to keep alive and a lot more maintenance (testing, dosing, nutrient export).

Some cool inverts not on your list:
Tiger sand conch
Money cowries
Marginella snails
Bumblebee snails
Anemone crabs (they do best with an anemone, but will make due with a Duncan or hammer)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back