I'm new to saltwater tanks and adding hydrogen peroxide to it. What are all the pros and cons

Frostynipps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to saltwater tanks and adding hydrogen peroxide 4ml (32g) to it. What are all the pros and cons ? I love my clowns and don't want to kill them or anything good.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In an established 20-gallon tank I had some hard-to-get-rid-of algae and overall brown wall-sludge (Lol). Someone here said dose Hydrogen Peroxide when the lights were off, 10 days in a row, and add bottled bacteria when the lights were on, for the same 10 days. It helped immensely: that’s all I can say. :)

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to saltwater tanks and adding hydrogen peroxide 4ml (32g) to it. What are all the pros and cons ? I love my clowns and don't want to kill them or anything good.

So you’ve been adding it but don’t know the pros and cons?

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should help with algae and keeping rocks a little more clean. I started doing it a few days back to back but my trachy didn’t seem to like it so I stopped.

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydrogen peroxide is a highly corrosive base. Personally, I would never add it to any aquarium. There are much more effective and natural ways of removing nuisance algae.

OP
OP
Frostynipps

Frostynipps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was treating for red bacteria and hair algae (its working great so far) and I trust my LFS guy. He had told me to do it but he didn't tell me what else its good for or what could happen if I did it wrong. its not effected anything negatively yet and its been 5 days

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a full tank shot of your reef

I’ll show you a 10x better way to use peroxide than how it was advised, we don’t dump any into the water

agreed this approach above isn’t harmful theres 12 years of online data for people dumping it into the water, it’s just not as good as the way I’ll show you once we see the symptom pics of the tank, we don’t need to know params just a full tank pic

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can distress or kill inverts. My tuxedo urchin dropped all of its camouflage within a minute of application of 1mL in my Evo to spot-treat valonia and took about a day to recover. Hydrogen peroxide can certainly help, but that help can come with a cost to everything else in the tank.

OP
OP
Frostynipps

Frostynipps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will post as soon as assurance sends me a new phone its been a month so far (prepaid assurance stoped but they kept charging me so I still have it) I wish my laptop had a back camera. The only ugly problem I'm having is red cryno bacteria if I turn up the blue light over 15% and or any white. How do I kill that (besides no whites under 15% and 4ml nightly for 10 days)

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it once and it caused a condylactis to go nuclear, spewing its toxins into the water. I lost about half of my coral. So be cautious if you have any nems.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can use peroxide …
you can also nuke your tank with it, I know I got aa thread
the tank is new and probably will go through a few more phases of weird algae … this won’t be the last and it won’t last
let it ride, it could just take a while

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doctor

By leaving out you did a gross overdose you change the context to hint at danger. in that context, an overdose, Kalk is a killer.
or distilled water.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doctor

By leaving out you did a gross overdose you change the context to hint at danger. in that context, an overdose, Kalk is a killer.
or distilled water.

when following the known dosage rules this applies

surely in the future you'll lead with 'if you dump excessive amounts' it becomes a killer?

how many tank losses come from following the known safe dose
true, agreed…I won’t argue..b
the stupid element does bear mentioning….
then again, I did start by saying “you can use peroxide”
just use common sense and read up …I still use it btw

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm used to pressing against pressing against it lol forgive the habit. its quite 2011 of me

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably should contribute….
I dunno, I think too big a deal is made over algae… I got 3 tanks, a 210, 150 and 60 all reef., all have totally different algae issues: the tank I nuked won’t grow any and that’s actually a issue!

Anyway, I wonder if as a rule/ baseline we should even entertain theories and or solutions for tanks under 2 years old.. just thinking out loud

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dislike adding peroxide into a tank's water. prefer total disassembly / reassembly with the target missing from the rebuild

this isn't practical in large tanks though so reefers continue on dosing things to the water to find best efficiency

its my opinion some algae become habituated to it when repeatedly dosed but that's just a post pattern guess

Fishface515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used hydrogen peroxide on occasion to treat my display tanks for combating problem algae and to eliminate marine velvet. If dosed properly it can be a valuable tool. I do stress the term properly regarding dosing. It can wipe out chaeto but I typically run caulerpa and other macros in my fuge so I did not have a problem with that. Just be sure you have an accurate measure of your systems total volume and are using proper measuring tools to dose.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back