I'm new to saltwater tanks and adding hydrogen peroxide to it. What are all the pros and cons

bullseyereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im currently dosing H202 to fight some ICH in my display. I have noticed some corals are annoyed by it. I dose when the lights are off. Otherwise its definitely helping the ich and algae from over feeding the tank to keep the fish eating.

shyful456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a full tank shot of your reef

I’ll show you a 10x better way to use peroxide than how it was advised, we don’t dump any into the water

agreed this approach above isn’t harmful theres 12 years of online data for people dumping it into the water, it’s just not as good as the way I’ll show you once we see the symptom pics of the tank, we don’t need to know params just a full tank pic
3D43D847-532F-49B9-9372-68FAC11B5AF9.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And heres the direct match x 4 for completely fixing it the right way:

there is no method that beats rip cleaning a reef tank. peroxide is a small, small tool in the job you can see
Rip cleans de age any reef, increase stability, make room for coralline, and give you a specific completion date vs months of extended partial actions and dosers added that fill up crevices with rotten algae.

the real tool was your tap water, and that sandbed, they were destined to meet

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that little aiptasia when you have the system taken apart: take a flathead screwdriver and forcefully inset it up under his foot, breaking the top thin layer of rock as he’s still anchored and lifting him out

no more aiptasia
A small dig mark is now in his place, plant a coral

see how we don’t play

thats why after pics follow any initial wrecked pic before a rip clean.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In an established 20-gallon tank I had some hard-to-get-rid-of algae and overall brown wall-sludge (Lol). Someone here said dose Hydrogen Peroxide when the lights were off, 10 days in a row, and add bottled bacteria when the lights were on, for the same 10 days. It helped immensely: that’s all I can say. :)
I had an aggressive Dino outbreak. Turned the lights out, added large doses of phytoplankton and copepods and covered the entire tank with a blackout curtain for three days. Came out almost completely clean and only had to dose a little (1/4 dose) Dr. Tim’s waste-away to finish the scrub. No Hydrogen peroxide needed.

RudyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used hydrogen peroxide on occasion to treat my display tanks for combating problem algae and to eliminate marine velvet. If dosed properly it can be a valuable tool. I do stress the term properly regarding dosing. It can wipe out chaeto but I typically run caulerpa and other macros in my fuge so I did not have a problem with that. Just be sure you have an accurate measure of your systems total volume and are using proper measuring tools to dose.
Question? What is a proper dose? What amount per gallon of water? Will it help with red cyano? Is there something better to use. By the way my tank is 220g.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably should contribute….
I dunno, I think too big a deal is made over algae… I got 3 tanks, a 210, 150 and 60 all reef., all have totally different algae issues: the tank I nuked won’t grow any and that’s actually a issue!

Anyway, I wonder if as a rule/ baseline we should even entertain theories and or solutions for tanks under 2 years old.. just thinking out loud
I think algae is fine as long as we know why it’s there. I’m fine with it to a certain degree.

I let my first tank grow some. It’s annoying to clean when it becomes unruly. But I know why I have it. I over feed and keep food in the water column. The inhabitants look happy and healthy and I love it. It’s natural and people always seem to think it is on purpose.

For my new build, I’ll have to work on dialing the right amount of food (I use an auger based feeder throughout the day).

OP
OP
Frostynipps

Frostynipps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its weird but my corals look happy in The morning after I dose. zoanthids wouldn't open untill after I dosed the first time also, my LTA got sucked in the power head it won't stay away from it so I had to take it out (I think it was to powerful) what size do I need for a 32 gallon biocube and what should I use. would a protein skimmer help? I removed it before adding H202, it was full of algae and seemed like it made the cryno spread its rated for up to 90 gallons by instant ocean. Is that to strong?

OP
OP
Frostynipps

Frostynipps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a proper dose anyway? I've seen 1 cup per 500g,1 ml per 10. To dip corals I've seen straight out the bottle for 1-2 minuets or equal parts tank or RODI water and H202 for 5-10 minuets. ive been reading a thread about reef chemists experimenting ORP drops and H202 and if I receive any guidance from their grand arsenal of learning experience ill share. H202 has been working for me but I got a Kessil 360x and CRYNO started coming back so I had to turn it down from 15 to 5% intensity and take off the 35 degree reflector as well. H202 and the Kessil helped bring my BTA back from the brink of death (Kessils are amazing BTW).

OP
OP
Frostynipps

Frostynipps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an aggressive Dino outbreak. Turned the lights out, added large doses of phytoplankton and copepods and covered the entire tank with a blackout curtain for three days. Came out almost completely clean and only had to dose a little (1/4 dose) Dr. Tim’s waste-away to finish the scrub. No Hydrogen peroxide needed.
Were their any corals in your tank?

OP
OP
Frostynipps

Frostynipps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its weird but my corals look happy in The morning after I dose. zoanthids wouldn't open untill after I dosed the first time also, my LTA got sucked in the power head it won't stay away from it so I had to take it out (I think it was to powerful) what size do I need for a 32 gallon biocube and what should I use. would a protein skimmer help? I removed it before adding H202, it was full of algae and seemed like it made the cryno spread its rated for up to 90 gallons by instant ocean. Is that to strong?
And yes the nem has regenerated just got a few tentacles trimmed back.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were their any corals in your tank?
Yes. Zoas, Softies, LPS and SPS (monti-only). Without auto top-off or auto dosing, I’m hesitant to invest in acros….yet. Maybe after a year of established parameters, but the tank is only starting its third month.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also does anybody know how long you can go all blue before it had a negative affect on corals and other inhabits.
if it’s kessils you got then supposedly any setting works long term. Set it and forget they say
Yes. Zoas, Softies, LPS and SPS (monti-only). Without auto top-off or auto dosing, I’m hesitant to invest in acros….yet. Maybe after a year of established parameters, but the tank is only starting its third month.
smart …. I got 3 cheap 70 buck ATO and 3 Neptune ATKs …Spent hrs with Neptune fore those ATKs so for the money the cheap ones are just as reliable or more so …. as long as your skimmer isn’t. fussy over a precise water level then
70s Worth it…

OP
OP
Frostynipps

Frostynipps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a friend to take some pictures. sorry if I already posted them (I'm narcoleptic so I forget when I'm in a haze.)

Attachments

• IMG_20210814_142810282.jpg
    IMG_20210814_142810282.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20210814_142848738.jpg
    IMG_20210814_142848738.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20210814_142903042.jpg
    IMG_20210814_142903042.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20210814_142910492.jpg
    IMG_20210814_142910492.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20210814_142922982.jpg
    IMG_20210814_142922982.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 32

diamondreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your corals weren’t ticked from 3 days of no lights?

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your corals weren’t ticked from 3 days of no lights?
No. They go up to 5 days without light during shipping. Of all my corals the only one that acted droopy - if you can believe it - was one of my three Kenya tree leathers! I mean, you can almost grow those in a toilet.

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a friend to take some pictures. sorry if I already posted them (I'm narcoleptic so I forget when I'm in a haze.)
So what's the problem exactly? Looks like some cyano but other than that it all looks fine. How new is your tank? How often and how big are your water changes? What's your water chemistry? What is your end goal with this dosage and why did your LFS suggest that route in the first place? Do they sell the product you're using?

Dewman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to saltwater tanks and adding hydrogen peroxide 4ml (32g) to it. What are all the pros and cons ? I love my clowns and don't want to kill them or anything good.
Would be leery of dosing it to a tank. Great for careful targeting of algae.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back