I'm now considering upgrading my non-existent 20 gal to a 29/30 gal Nano aquarium

Geo007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I may be lax in many ways, and certainly with getting my Nano tank setup. I'm working on my computers first, so I'll just continue here a bit. Sorry for the big time delay.

First, I'm thinking about upgrading my non-existent Nano aquarium from a 20 gal to a 29/30 gal. I'll worry about the repercussions later. Second, I'm also considering having a sump - something along the same size as my display tank.

Which brings me to my first question: Does the size of sump add to, or increase the size of the total aquarium? i.e.: If I have a 30 gal display tank and a 30 gal sump, does that mean that I have a 60 gal aquarium?

I would like to start out with a no-reef fish only tank, but using live rock and live sand. What fish would be recommended for a 29/30 gal aquarium? Also, any invertebrates to recommend? I'm partial to crabs and shrimps, not to much on snails.

I'm not to sure about all the equipment being in the sump and "out-of-sight", but I'm open for suggestions.

Lastly, I haven't heard to much about anyone using an air pump for adding O2 to the water. Are they not needed in a saltwater aquarium?

Geo007 said:
I have had freshwater tanks before, ending with a 50 gal and a 75 gal aquarium. Now it's time to make a change. I don't have a saltwater aquarium yet, but I can't get anything larger than a 10 gal according to my Senior Living lease. I think I can get away with a 20 gal aquarium. My desire is to have a 20 gal standard/high tank and make it a reef tank. Having looked at several cube tanks, all-in-one aquariums, and several set-it-and-forget-it aquariums, I don't want any of those. I wish to build my own from the ground up.

I'm curious to find out what suggestions you would make for me to have such a tank. Live rock vs dry rock, live sand vs normal sand, type of fishes, any cleaning crews and how many, etc. Preferences on equipment such as filters, skimmers, water flow jets, etc. And more importantly, "why" you would chose those particular items.

Thanks in advance!

Geo007

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could do it again I’d get a 45 gallon AIO. I have a 25 AIO. It’s sizeable but not over whelming and you can fit a lot more in it

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the size of sump add to, or increase the size of the total aquarium? i.e.: If I have a 30 gal display tank and a 30 gal sump, does that mean that I have a 60 gal aquarium?
No, it will mean you have a total volume that is larger but will not mean that you have a 60 gallon tank. Also you have to remember a sump is only filled about 6-10 inches normally which is usually about only half of the volume the sump can hold. This is so that the tank will not overflow when the return pump shuts off.
For calculating fish in the tank you would be stocking for a 30 gallon tank and maybe adding 1 or 2 extra small fish after about a year when you can see how nutrients are being handled in the tank. Sometimes you may have a little room to add the extra fish, but if nutrients are already an issue after a year you shouldnt
Any fish for this tank will be small like clownfish, blennies, gobies, cardinalfish, etc.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably best aim for 4-5 fish but it will depend on what you choose as some are more active than others and will increase the biological load more than others

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
the bigger the tank you start with, the better it’ll be in terms of maintenance(in my opinion). bigger tanks can go longer without maintenance.

sump size increases water volume, but not by the size of the tank but by how much water it is currently holding. example: i have a 40B tank, and 20G long sump. with sand, and rocks, i’m looking at ROUGHLY 50G worth of water volume (it’s most definitely less than 50, but i round up just because).

AIO(all in one) tanks are generally more desired. but i like to tinker and DIY, so i chose to drill my current tank and do the plumbing, etc.

OP
OP
G

Geo007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the bigger the tank you start with, the better it’ll be in terms of maintenance(in my opinion). bigger tanks can go longer without maintenance.

sump size increases water volume, but not by the size of the tank but by how much water it is currently holding. example: i have a 40B tank, and 20G long sump. with sand, and rocks, i’m looking at ROUGHLY 50G worth of water volume (it’s most definitely less than 50, but i round up just because).

AIO(all in one) tanks are generally more desired. but i like to tinker and DIY, so i chose to drill my current tank and do the plumbing, etc.
Yes, I like to tinker as well. But I just can't go more than a 30 gal at the most. My lease says 10 gal limitation on aquariums, and I'm stretching it quite a bit as is. This is it, as far as I go.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back