IM Nuvo 10 Anemone Tank Build

AJ_Tsin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the split return working for you?

I currently have a single 1/2” RFG on my NUVO 10 but as my SPS fill in, I could really go for adding some flow in another direction.

Trying to avoid a wave maker mostly for aesthetic reasons.

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the split return working for you?

I currently have a single 1/2” RFG on my NUVO 10 but as my SPS fill in, I could really go for adding some flow in another direction.

Trying to avoid a wave maker mostly for aesthetic reasons.

It seems to be working well for me. I can crank up the flow a lot more than I could with a single RFG or stock return, without blasting anything. Seems to get decent coverage through the whole tank.

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how many Bubble Tips is too many for a 10g AiO? I guess we'll see!

I picked up a REALLY bright Rose this past weekend. So, along with the (split) Rainbows and Acid Rain, that brings me up to 4... but I'm picking up an ECC Warp Drive this weekend, so a total of 5.

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll apologize in advance, but everything always seems to look best the day before tank cleaning day, so the glass needs cleaned and the sand needs vacuumed. But stuff was looking awesome this morning, so I snapped some pictures. :D

272698201_476610914019586_2794699213976624388_n.jpg

272449084_445165530641164_3507130181000609269_n.jpg

272639937_1075740563270246_4876664769480852078_n.jpg

272912931_741225680182233_3575878669795247811_n.jpg

258888841_1066655187514512_8322595494562164192_n.jpg

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I’ve had the same tank setup for a few years now.

I wish I knew about those little fish guards! My bubble tip perfectly blocked my overflow about 2 weeks ago and caused a little spill out of my tank. Luckily my wife caught it. I broke out all the teeth in a panic.

I like your flow idea. I’ve given up on spin streams and a very small Tunze powerhead ate an anemone last year so I swore off PH’s. I’m just using the stock little return nozzle now. I’m trying to find the parts for your setup. I think I found them on Etsy and am waiting for the seller to confirm.

www.etsy.com/listing/1164031015

I like how quiet the IM pump is but it seems to degrade quickly. I’ll just wake up and it will be trickling water. Is the Sicce .5 putting out the same flow? Are you happy with it?

I just pulled all my bubble tips to make way for my wife’s Colorado Sunburst (or whatever they’re called) but my maxi/minis are going strong.

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I’ve had the same tank setup for a few years now.

I wish I knew about those little fish guards! My bubble tip perfectly blocked my overflow about 2 weeks ago and caused a little spill out of my tank. Luckily my wife caught it. I broke out all the teeth in a panic.

I like your flow idea. I’ve given up on spin streams and a very small Tunze powerhead ate an anemone last year so I swore off PH’s. I’m just using the stock little return nozzle now. I’m trying to find the parts for your setup. I think I found them on Etsy and am waiting for the seller to confirm.

www.etsy.com/listing/1164031015

I like how quiet the IM pump is but it seems to degrade quickly. I’ll just wake up and it will be trickling water. Is the Sicce .5 putting out the same flow? Are you happy with it?

I just pulled all my bubble tips to make way for my wife’s Colorado Sunburst (or whatever they’re called) but my maxi/minis are going strong.

I got all the return parts from Vivid Creative Aquatics. I'm running a Jebao DCS-1200 return pump right now because my MightyJet 326 is "in the shop" for repairs. The Jebao is roughly the same flowrate as the MJ 326, though it is a bit louder.

Nothing is ever perfect, but all in all I am happy with the flow, and everything in the tank seems to be as well.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got all the return parts from Vivid Creative Aquatics. I'm running a Jebao DCS-1200 return pump right now because my MightyJet 326 is "in the shop" for repairs. The Jebao is roughly the same flowrate as the MJ 326, though it is a bit louder.

Nothing is ever perfect, but all in all I am happy with the flow, and everything in the tank seems to be as well.
Thank you so much for the reply. I thought I read you were running the Sicce .5. I keep an extra MJ326 on hand for when it dies. It’s just very finicky; I wonder if it was trying to push the spin stream that caused it wear out so quickly.

It’s good to know there’s another option from Jebao. I’ll definitely think about picking one up as a backup for my backup.

I priced it out on VCA and it was around $40 so I’m going to try the Etsy setup at $30 but it looks like they’re the same thing.

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just going to stop apologizing, because it seems that I always get the best pictures and videos when the glass is filthy. :D

Oh well. Everything is still happy and healthy in the 10g anemone tank!

d'oh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video isn't working for me?
Did you pick up the Warp Drive? Really interested in seeing pics/video and reading your experience with it.
Just recently found your thread. I have the same tank but running a Kessil A80.

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video isn't working for me?
Did you pick up the Warp Drive? Really interested in seeing pics/video and reading your experience with it.
Just recently found your thread. I have the same tank but running a Kessil A80.

Weather and scheduling conspired against me, so I don't get the Warp Drive until tomorrow afternoon. It's costing me more now too, because I'm also picking up a huge Rainbow Acan colony for my other tank, but that's how it goes, right? :D

I will definitely post pics when I get it!

d'oh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice!! I think the acan was a great choice and looks super happy.
How far up the tank/rock work did the warp drive settle? Did you adjust lighting for acclimation, how did the other nems react? Any concerns mixing so many different btas?
Keep up the great work, your tank is pushing me towards a similar setup

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't posted a FTS with anemones, so this might be helpful.

20220220_133441.jpg

Sorry for the glare/reflections/dirty glass. :)

I set my light so that the dead center of the tank (where the rock limbs all converge) is 125 PAR. So far, I haven't had anything climbing or stretching looking for more, and all colors are bright, nems are puffy and looking great.

I did NOT use acclimation mode when adding anything. Since anemones are mobile, I figured they could sort it out on their own.

You can see the Acid Rain on the left. There is a Rainbow on the back glass right behind it. The Rose can be seen peaking over the rock in the center. The other Rainbow is obvious, right in the front. The Warp Drive settled (for now) right in front, about 5" to the right of the Rainbow.

I haven't noticed any reactions from any nems when adding new ones so far. None of these are known as being aggressive or temperamental, though. You won't see me adding any Sunbursts, Widows or Sherman's, tough. Too much money to risk it.

I do run carbon. A lot of it. All the time.

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, I've had a lot of saltwater tanks over the years (first one in 1993). This 10g is one of the easiest I've ever owned, and it is quickly becoming my favorite. All I'm doing is changing 2g of water per week, and the colors and movement in the tank make it a fast favorite of everyone who sees it.

I am going to be upgrading my 30L to an 80g lagoon soon, and I really want to move everything from the 10g into the 30L... I'm just worried that will ruin it. :D

Rey "deep sea" Manta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Amazing anemone tank build! Is the Warp Drive the one in the bottom middle of the picture? Or that is the acid rain one?
How big are your anemones? They look pretty big, but I just learned your tank is a 10G. It definitely look bigger than 10G. Do your anemones grow a lot after you have put them in your tank?

Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing anemone tank build! Is the Warp Drive the one in the bottom middle of the picture? Or that is the acid rain one?
How big are your anemones? They look pretty big, but I just learned your tank is a 10G. It definitely look bigger than 10G. Do your anemones grow a lot after you have put them in your tank?

Thanks for sharing!
Yes. Bottom middle is the Warp Drive. It's about 3" at it's biggest. The others are 5-6" when fully inflated, except the Acid Rain. That one is probably 8" or more when fully open.

They have gotten bigger since I got them. The Rainbow has split once too.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back