OP
Synner Reef

Synner Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 53: Sat and watched my little guys last night. Man i love watching how the two fish have paired up. Pooter is hilarious when it comes to feeding time. He's always grazing the rocks throughout the day so i'm assuming hes fed well. PH checked in at 8.1 and Salinity is checking in at 1.025. Little lower than what i have been having it at. So i been slowly topping with saltwater to raise it back to 1.026. It was as low as 1.024. I really want to start to add corals soon. There are so many to start with. Just deciding on which to get will be key. Nothing to expensive. But i have not reached that point just yet. Sometime in February ill be more serious. I have a big Archery shoot in Vegas ill be competing for. So will focus on that. And if i do well. Ill reward myself. When i mean well. Not last place! ;WootPooter says G'Morning reefers!
pooter5.jpg
test46.jpg
algae3.jpg

OP
OP
Synner Reef

Synner Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 58: Had a bit of a scare Thursday night with Pooter ( Tail spot Blenny) He was acting very strange after i got home late in the evening. I noticed him just laying at the bottom of the tank. He then would swim into the glass and into the back of the tank violently. Was very odd. He then laid on the sand bed and in between a rock. I woke up several times throughout the night to check on him. I did all emergency parameter checks. Everything checked out as norm to my tank. NBothing had changed. Following day he still lay where he slept. When i got home from work he was a little off but he ate that night just fine. Saturday he was back to his old self again. So weird. Peppy ( Peppermint Shrimp) Molted again yesterday , Sunday. I noticed while doing a small water change to clean the bottom of the tank. His molt was hanging on rocks. Glad to see that. He is my oldest living thing in the tank. And seems to be thriving. Sue ( Damsel ) Is doing Sue things. Completely healthy i believe. He gets a little gluttonous during feeding time but its ok. Parameters are checking in ok with the API tubes. Seems norm. When i tend to worry, i break out the Red Sea test kits. Tank still has Green everywhere on it. But nothing stringy growing. Glad for that.I think the Blenny and Halloween Crab are keeping it at bay but not making it go away. But again , the tank is only 58 days old now. So want to add some Coral soon.
test47.jpg
tank2.jpg

wlittlefield

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Your pictures are great too. Glad to see everyone is hanging in there. Your algae looks like an outbreak of new tank syndrome. I used to hate when people would say that to me, but it did pass more or less.

actik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loved reading this, i'm also new to reefing. Only on day 10 atm of cycling. Live sand, just dry rock. tank also crystal clear as can be... i thought i was doing something wrong was nice to see some reassurance :) also didn't even realize you had to re calibrate a refractometer, thank you for that.

OP
OP
Synner Reef

Synner Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@actik Glad this thread has helped you out. I thought it was pretty fun going through each day and seeing my results since it was my first time ever having a tank. Lots of great resources on the forums. Happy Reefing!

actik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my biggest issue is i always worry i read my test tubes wrong... also knowing when my cycle is complete or if bacteria is starving... the unknown worries :O

Day 10

Salt 1.026
Ph 8.4
Ammonia .60
Nitrite 5.0
Nitrate 30
Day 10.jpg

OP
OP
Synner Reef

Synner Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@actik Need to have your Ammonia and Nitrite reach zero. Looks like your tank is still going through the process. If there is Ammonia in the tank the bacteria is eating. When those 2 parameters reach nearly zero. Feed the tank again. Ammonia will go up and so will the nitrite again. But will go faster this time. I did my water change when Nitrates were very high.

Kaifers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your updates and photos. Your doing great. I've been thinking of going with one of BRS's package deals with a small tank. Not sure which one yet. I want to set up a RO system first. I'm undecided about that too. Your thread has been very informative. Thanks again.

It tales 5 mins to set up an RO unit, and this is coming from someone who is not the most handyman of men. :)

OP
OP
Synner Reef

Synner Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 65: WOW i'm on 65 days of my tank. Its crazy how time flies. Nothing to much to report. Tank is still doing good. Green Algae is obtrusive to look at but its a new tank. Its not hairy at all just like coating on the rocks. Pooter did the freeak out thing again on Thursday like the previous Thursday. So weird. Not sure why. I just didnt panic like i did last time. Maybe he/she is hormonal. o_O Enjoy your Reefing week!
test48.jpg

actik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I feel that maybe I prolonged my cycle a bit, I phantom fed a little here and there not knowing if my bacteria would starve. Derp mistakes of a novice.

Kaifers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I feel that maybe I prolonged my cycle a bit, I phantom fed a little here and there not knowing if my bacteria would starve. Derp mistakes of a novice.

Not to hijack this amazing thread, but my tanks has been wet for 4 weeks and my cycle isn’t complete. It is absolutely true what they say about this hobby Patience, patience, patience.... something I don’t have a lot of [emoji23]

actik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to hijack this amazing thread, but my tanks has been wet for 4 weeks and my cycle isn’t complete. It is absolutely true what they say about this hobby Patience, patience, patience.... something I don’t have a lot of [emoji23]
I hear you man, I mean only 11 days and I'm like. dang you tank grow algea or something just change haha

mwbeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What did you use to seed the tank?

Mine took about 3 weeks from Dry Sand and Dry Rock.

I used Seachem Stability for 7 days, then added a bottle of Dr Tims, then Seachem Seed for another 7 days, and another bottle of Dr Tim’s.

OP
OP
Synner Reef

Synner Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeap. Have to make sure you added Bacteria to the mix to make it happen faster. I had used Dr Tim's and Bio Spira a week later I believe. Hoping you added Bacteria.

actik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uhhhh prob a super bad call. I personally used the nutrafin cycle......for both salt and freshly water cycling....

OP
OP
Synner Reef

Synner Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 73: I didn't check parameters this morning. I did do a 5 gallon water change on Sunday. To my surprise i noticed pods in the back on my tank. Little tiny things scurrying around! I have no idea how life happened but it did! Starting to see a little more of this reddish algae . No idea what kind it is. But nothing stringy yet. Im hoping its a form of coraline but i feel my tank is way to young. I'm so looking forward to adding something soon. I have my Archery shoot in Vegas this weekend. So maybe ill have a chance to stop by a local fish store and check stuff out. Hope you all have been well. Happy Reefing!
redalgae2.jpg
pooter6.jpg
sue4.jpg

OP
OP
Synner Reef

Synner Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@actik Hands down,the coolest fish. It really looks like they show emotion. He has so many faces. Lots of personality. Also name them weird names like me. Pooter.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back