IM Nuvo Fusion 30L build

jws0318

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

This is going to be the build for my new tank. I had a 110g reef a few years ago, but I didn't have the time to take care of it the way I should have and as a result I was only mildly successful with it. I ended up breaking it down and getting rid of it and set up a 125g cichlid tank instead. Cichlids are easy, but they still don't compare (in my opinion) to a reef tank, so I made the decision to try the reef game again but on a smaller scale than I previously did it, which led me to the Fusion 30L.

My plans for the tank are primarily LPS, with maybe some SPS added once its established. As far as fish, I will add some, but I don't know what yet.

Here 's my equipment list so far:

IM NUVO Fusion Pro 30L tank
IM APS stand
IM SpinStream nozzles x 2
Mighty jet 538 gph return pump
RedSea ReefWave 25 gyre
RedSea ReefLED 50 x 2
Tunze 3152 ato
Intank media basket x 2
Intank poly filter floss
Intank Fuge basket
Intank filtration cover
ACKE LED grow light (for the fuge)
CaribSea Life Rock
CaribSea special grade reef sand (20 lbs)

no skimmer yet - I will add one later if/when I need it.

I ordered the tank/stand direct from IM - arrived in 2 boxes via UPS within a week. I have not ordered a tank online for delivery before, but it was all packed very well and arrived in perfect condition. The tank is really very nice.

The stand...oh, the stand. It is very nice looking - no complaints there, but the directions for assembly are absolute junk. They don't make any sense, and the pieces are pictured different from what they are (for example, a 14 inch long brace is the same size as a 36 inch long brace in the pictures). Fortunately, the internet has many videos of how to put it together, so eventually it was completed. The doors come with magnetic push latches - one set for the top portion of the door and one set for the lower. Both of them did not work. I called IM and they are sending replacements, but for the price of the stand, you would think that the only semi-mechanical pieces on it would work out of the box.

I just got it wet last night and started Dr. Tim's fishless cycle this morning. Here's the required first tank shot:

30L.jpg

kribbz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

This is going to be the build for my new tank. I had a 110g reef a few years ago, but I didn't have the time to take care of it the way I should have and as a result I was only mildly successful with it. I ended up breaking it down and getting rid of it and set up a 125g cichlid tank instead. Cichlids are easy, but they still don't compare (in my opinion) to a reef tank, so I made the decision to try the reef game again but on a smaller scale than I previously did it, which led me to the Fusion 30L.

My plans for the tank are primarily LPS, with maybe some SPS added once its established. As far as fish, I will add some, but I don't know what yet.

Here 's my equipment list so far:

IM NUVO Fusion Pro 30L tank
IM APS stand
IM SpinStream nozzles x 2
Mighty jet 538 gph return pump
RedSea ReefWave 25 gyre
RedSea ReefLED 50 x 2
Tunze 3152 ato
Intank media basket x 2
Intank poly filter floss
Intank Fuge basket
Intank filtration cover
ACKE LED grow light (for the fuge)
CaribSea Life Rock
CaribSea special grade reef sand (20 lbs)

no skimmer yet - I will add one later if/when I need it.

I ordered the tank/stand direct from IM - arrived in 2 boxes via UPS within a week. I have not ordered a tank online for delivery before, but it was all packed very well and arrived in perfect condition. The tank is really very nice.

The stand...oh, the stand. It is very nice looking - no complaints there, but the directions for assembly are absolute junk. They don't make any sense, and the pieces are pictured different from what they are (for example, a 14 inch long brace is the same size as a 36 inch long brace in the pictures). Fortunately, the internet has many videos of how to put it together, so eventually it was completed. The doors come with magnetic push latches - one set for the top portion of the door and one set for the lower. Both of them did not work. I called IM and they are sending replacements, but for the price of the stand, you would think that the only semi-mechanical pieces on it would work out of the box.

I just got it wet last night and started Dr. Tim's fishless cycle this morning. Here's the required first tank shot:

30L.jpg
JWS we have a very similar setup. I just added a Tunze 9004 to the far left chamber instead of the filter sock. Been running since July. I'm also upgrading to the Radion xr30w. So far I love it.

OP
OP
J

jws0318

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JWS we have a very similar setup. I just added a Tunze 9004 to the far left chamber instead of the filter sock. Been running since July. I'm also upgrading to the Radion xr30w. So far I love it.
Nice. Do you have a build thread?

At this point, I'm thinking of going skimmerless, but I will see how things go. I plan to keep a low bioload, but things could always change.

I threw the filter sock out after running it for the first couple days of the cycle...not a fan of them at all.

Katie M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank! Just got the same one - no build thread yet though. I would suggest putting some Marine Pure Gems after your filter floss and chemipure. I've run several other tanks the same way and it works great. Also, if you don't have high nutrients, a skimmer really isn't necessary and can definitely be added later. Looking forward to seeing your progress!

wasafuzz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Great tank, I know because I have the same one. Can someone chime in on the lights , I am thinking of upgrading to the same RedSea reefLed 50's. Are these enough to grow some sps? Thanks. JWS, I think you'll love the 30L.

OP
OP
J

jws0318

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Great tank, I know because I have the same one. Can someone chime in on the lights , I am thinking of upgrading to the same RedSea reefLed 50's. Are these enough to grow some sps? Thanks. JWS, I think you'll love the 30L.
I don't have any sps yet, but based on some par readings that others have taken, they should be able to grow sps no problem. I'm planning on adding plenty of sps as the tank matures, but I am going to start with lps and softies first.

I really like the lights. They have a great shimmer effect, if you like that. I have had kessils in the past, and from a shimmer standpoint, these are just as good as the kessils.

I'm also a huge fan of the mounts for them. Easy to install, secure, and they swivel out of the way so you can get into the tank easily.

kribbz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Do you have a build thread?

At this point, I'm thinking of going skimmerless, but I will see how things go. I plan to keep a low bioload, but things could always change.

I threw the filter sock out after running it for the first couple days of the cycle...not a fan of them at all.

No build thread for me. I wish I would have done one. Honestly, I have not taken a picture of my tank at all which is weird. I was planning on going skimmerless as well but even with 2 clowns I was having some issues with nitrates being slightly elevated. I was only feeding twice a week and doing a water change on the 15th and last day of every month. Everything in the tank looked "good" but I was cleaning my glass twice a day and stirring brown algae from the sand daily. I couldn't get it to slow down. I even turned all my white, red and green leds off to try to get a handle on it. Now that I've put the skimmer in its been a game changer. I've added a royal gramma to the tank since and have had no issues.

I threw the filter socks out as well with the addition of the skimmer. It was nice to get rid of those from the system. They were a pain to clean!

OP
OP
J

jws0318

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So everything has been looking good for a few weeks parameter-wise, so now it's time to think about a fish stocking plan. I'm thinking of the following:

1 Firefish (specific kind tbd)
1 small wrasse (pink streaked or tanaka possum)
1 goby - any suggestions?
1 tailspot blenny
1 royal Gramma

What do you think?

OP
OP
J

jws0318

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's been a while since any updates. I went through a bad case of the uglies and tried to do a little too much too soon, but I think I'm back on the right track now 6 months in.

I've changed course a bit and I'm focusing primarily on zoa's. I have several small colonies going right now...everything started with 1-3 polyps, so I am getting pretty good growth.

I'm keeping things as simple as possible. No skimmer, no dosing at all. I do a 4 gallon water change weekly and that's about it.

My pics are terrible, but it gives some idea at least. I'm in the "maintain and let things fill in" phase right now.

Attachments

• PXL_20210216_204510576.jpg
    PXL_20210216_204510576.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 109
  • PXL_20210216_204455338.jpg
    PXL_20210216_204455338.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 116
  • PXL_20210216_204424041.jpg
    PXL_20210216_204424041.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 119

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates?

What is your lighting schedule for your RSLED50s?
I'm setting up a IM30L soon too and will be repurposing the same lights from another set up. Thanks! :)

OP
OP
J

jws0318

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of shutting down this tank. I'm upgrading to the IM 50 lagoon AIO. Here's the light schedule I was running on it:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210729-210510.png
    Screenshot_20210729-210510.png
    111.8 KB · Views: 84

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of shutting down this tank. I'm upgrading to the IM 50 lagoon AIO. Here's the light schedule I was running on it:
Thanks! Nearly identical to mine on my 29g frag tank (80% blues, 20% whites for 10 hours with 1 hour ramp up and down times).

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back