IM Nuvo Fusion Pro 2 - Return to Reefing

dieSalzwasserqual

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to my build thread! I've been a longtime lurker on the reef forums and am on my third reef tank, but this is my first build thread on Reef2Reef! I mostly see this as an opportunity to keep track of my own thoughts and observations and hopefully use to look back on my updates on this thread and identify any trends I might not notice in isolation.

As a bit of background, my first reef tank was a 40 breeder with a reef octopus HOB skimmer, a Chinese black box LED, and a whole lot of ambition. I had this tank for a couple of years while I was in high school, and had to break it down when I went off to college on the opposite coast. I was constantly plagued by aiptasia and and pink fluffy algae, and my frequent RODI filtration in the backyard annoyed my parents to no end, but I absolutely loved this tank.

FirstReef.thumb.jpeg.77dcf202c00659558a5657443f61dd95.jpeg

(A photo of my pest filled passion project)

When the pandemic hit and I was stuck learning via zoom in the "hometown annex" of my university, I decided that getting back into reefing with better equipment would be the way to go. I went with a Red Sea Reefer 170, which is currently sitting sans water in the corner of my room as I write this, which was such an amazing upgrade. I cannot speak more highly about the quality and experience that Red Sea tanks offer. A cross country move after graduating college and a rather time intensive public service job have made restarting the Reefer 170 an unattainable goal for now, but once a reefer, always a reefer, and I need the smell of freshly mixed saltwater in my life again.

ReefTank2.thumb.jpg.7e32ff73cc28a07f69d7280f7d54a465.jpg

(A picture of the Reefer 170 setup in its prime. Notice the absence of aiptasia and cotton candy algae. Progress!)

Anyways, this thread is not about either of these past tanks, but rather the setup that is newly wet today: My new IM Nuvo 10!

Some basic tank specs for the setup I have planned:
Display: IM Nuvo 10 12”x15”x13”
Lighting: Kessil360x
Filter Media: Stock back chamber media basket with activated carbon and GFO
Heater: Eheim Jager 100w
Circulation: Stock MightyJet return pump and VorTech MP-10w QD
Skimmer: Innovative Marine Nuvoskim DC Protein Skimmer
ATO: Manual top off as needed

General thoughts on this build:
  • Sand: I've gone back and forth on this, and while I do think that I'll remove the sand bed at some point in the future, at least for the first year I'm going with a simple Caribsea Pink Fiji. The BRS TV experiments and the countless build threads I've seen of beautiful tanks with spotless sand beds seem to weigh the scales for me towards a sand bed rather than bare bottom. Having the extra surface area for bacteria while the tank settles into a normal seems to be a good idea, and if I ever decide to get serious about turning this tank into an SPS dominant system I can remove the sand bed, leave the tank alone for a month or two, and then get going.
  • Lighting: I'm using the old Kessil 360x I had on my Reefer 170, and while it's definitely overpowered for my current setup, the controllability is fantastic and it definitely sets me up for success later on, though shadowing will be a concern at some point.
  • Water Changes: I'll admit that like many reefers, I have not been the most diligent about weekly water changes in the past. This has pretty clearly been the source of my past problems with SPS corals, and while the siren song of a water changeless reef maintenance regiment continues to ring in my ears, I am committed to following the successful methods of folks on this site. Reef keeping may seem like rocket science at times, but it seems like the best rule of reefkeeping is the simplest: follow through on regular water changes. My plan is for about 4 gallons a week, which would be about a 50 % water change weekly.
  • Stocking: I love ocellaris clownfish and added a pair this week and also have struggled with low nitrates and phosphates in the past so may add another fish to help increase the bioload. Otherwise, sexy shrimp may be in my tank's future!
  • Rock: When I used dry rock for my Reefer 170, the results were ugly at first, and the algae issues only got better when I added some KP aquatics live rock. It seems like folks on the forums are moving away from the sterile starts that were all the rage a couple of years ago, and I think my experience tracks with that shift in the conventional wisdom. I ordered live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater, and while there were weather delays the customer service was fantastic and I cannot speak more highly of them.
  • Flow: With the dual outflow from the MightyJet pump that came with the tank reducing the flow pretty significantly, I added an old MP10 I had saved. When I add sand and rocks, I may remove this additional flow, but it seems like many folks who run successful IM Nuvo 10 setups have another powerhead for more random flow so I figured I might follow in their footsteps.

And here it is! My new setup! Please feel free to chime in with any advice or thoughts!

image.thumb.png.059726308a673102865ebb3fa0d06e47.png

The free macro algae TBS included in the shipment of rock has been left to its own devices since being placed in the tank and has taken over the rock on the right. I plan on trimming it back next week and removing it from the front of the display in about a month. Right now it adds some interesting motion to the tank and fills in the rock scape.

Did a quick water change this morning using distilled water, and I'm thoroughly enjoying how easy it is to do a large weekly water change on this tank! I ordered more reagent for my Hanna Alkalinity tester as well as some All for Reef from BRS today, but especially for the first couple of months I'm hoping that water changes will be enough to maintain stability for the few corals I'll be adding.

I also picked up a couple of test frags today to see if the tank is stable enough for coral! The two I picked up were a cheap Acro frag (I know this is more needy than I initially planned, but for $10, it seemed that a cheap unnamed acro was at least worth the try) and green star polyps (absolutely a weed, but I love brightly colored corals with motion, and I plan on keeping on top of this as it spreads). The LFS employee who helped me out today showed me a colony of the Acro I picked up and said that it was a solid choice for a test frag based on their experience with the coral.

image.thumb.png.2a78a74630a2a3483476eb8d8ecfd19d.png

Not reefing related, but this tank is actually one of a pair! I have twin IM Nuvo 10s next to one another, one freshwater planted that will be a neocaridina shrimp tank and the other a reef!

This is an old pic of the two next to one another before I put the Kessil 360x on the reef:
image.thumb.png.42529350935024189503ed894c4962e8.png

OP
OP
D

dieSalzwasserqual

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update!

I took a chance on a craigslist frag pack a couple weeks ago, $70 bucks for a Stylo frag, a green slimer frag, a red monti cap, a green monti cap, and two hammer corals. Given the sizes of each frag, about $12 a pop seemed like a steal.

A FTS:

Screenshot 2023-05-08 at 7.57.25 PM.png

They all seem to be settling in nicely, and I've gotten some growth on the green slimer:

Screenshot 2023-05-08 at 7.51.47 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-05-08 at 7.50.44 PM.png

And the Stylo has grown a bit too, with the tips of each branch splitting into two growth sections and the frag plug almost fully encrusted now:

Screenshot 2023-05-08 at 7.54.47 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-05-08 at 7.54.24 PM.png

I've never had success with zoas, and my test frag is not happy so I'm moving them around the tank to find a spot with the right level of flow and light

Screenshot 2023-05-08 at 7.56.56 PM.png

My two original test frags, the mystery acro and the GSP, both seem to be doing fine, and the clowns continue to provide me with a lot of joy. I'm definitely facing some challenges with some algae, maybe some dinos, so I'm going to slow down on water changes and see if that helps. I don't feed that much, but I do throw in a tiny bit of reef roids every 2-3 days, so as long as the corals are happy and growing and nutrients arent spiking, I'm fine riding out this algae.

I've been militant with my alk testing and dosing, and after seeing where my alk has landed after water changes, I think I'm going to try to stay in the low 9's rather than the mid 8's, which is where I've been. Not happy with that first Alk spike which came about a week into dosing All for Reef, but after getting it dialed in, I'm absolutely loving A4R.

Below are my alk tests for the past two weeks:

DateAlkalinityDosing
4/238.5
4/248Dosed 2.5 ml
4/258.3Dosed 2.5 ml
4/267.7Dosed 2.5 ml
4/277.5Dosed 2.8 ml
4/287.3Dosed 3.8 ml
4/299.25Dosed 0 ml
4/308.3Dosed 4.8 ml
5/18.2Dosed 5 ml
5/28.6Dosed 4.5 ml
5/38.4Dosed 5 ml
5/48.2Dosed 5.2 ml
5/58.7Dosed 4.5 ml
5/68.7Dosed 4.5 ml
5/79.6Dosed 3.8 ml
5/89.6Dosed 4 ml

My next challenge will be acquiring and setting up a dosing pump. I'm thinking of going with the ReefDose 2 from Red Sea, which seems to have decent reviews.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to my build thread! I've been a longtime lurker on the reef forums and am on my third reef tank, but this is my first build thread on Reef2Reef! I mostly see this as an opportunity to keep track of my own thoughts and observations and hopefully use to look back on my updates on this thread and identify any trends I might not notice in isolation.

As a bit of background, my first reef tank was a 40 breeder with a reef octopus HOB skimmer, a Chinese black box LED, and a whole lot of ambition. I had this tank for a couple of years while I was in high school, and had to break it down when I went off to college on the opposite coast. I was constantly plagued by aiptasia and and pink fluffy algae, and my frequent RODI filtration in the backyard annoyed my parents to no end, but I absolutely loved this tank.

FirstReef.thumb.jpeg.77dcf202c00659558a5657443f61dd95.jpeg

(A photo of my pest filled passion project)

When the pandemic hit and I was stuck learning via zoom in the "hometown annex" of my university, I decided that getting back into reefing with better equipment would be the way to go. I went with a Red Sea Reefer 170, which is currently sitting sans water in the corner of my room as I write this, which was such an amazing upgrade. I cannot speak more highly about the quality and experience that Red Sea tanks offer. A cross country move after graduating college and a rather time intensive public service job have made restarting the Reefer 170 an unattainable goal for now, but once a reefer, always a reefer, and I need the smell of freshly mixed saltwater in my life again.

ReefTank2.thumb.jpg.7e32ff73cc28a07f69d7280f7d54a465.jpg

(A picture of the Reefer 170 setup in its prime. Notice the absence of aiptasia and cotton candy algae. Progress!)

Anyways, this thread is not about either of these past tanks, but rather the setup that is newly wet today: My new IM Nuvo 10!

Some basic tank specs for the setup I have planned:
Display: IM Nuvo 10 12”x15”x13”
Lighting: Kessil360x
Filter Media: Stock back chamber media basket with activated carbon and GFO
Heater: Eheim Jager 100w
Circulation: Stock MightyJet return pump and VorTech MP-10w QD
Skimmer: Innovative Marine Nuvoskim DC Protein Skimmer
ATO: Manual top off as needed

General thoughts on this build:
  • Sand: I've gone back and forth on this, and while I do think that I'll remove the sand bed at some point in the future, at least for the first year I'm going with a simple Caribsea Pink Fiji. The BRS TV experiments and the countless build threads I've seen of beautiful tanks with spotless sand beds seem to weigh the scales for me towards a sand bed rather than bare bottom. Having the extra surface area for bacteria while the tank settles into a normal seems to be a good idea, and if I ever decide to get serious about turning this tank into an SPS dominant system I can remove the sand bed, leave the tank alone for a month or two, and then get going.
  • Lighting: I'm using the old Kessil 360x I had on my Reefer 170, and while it's definitely overpowered for my current setup, the controllability is fantastic and it definitely sets me up for success later on, though shadowing will be a concern at some point.
  • Water Changes: I'll admit that like many reefers, I have not been the most diligent about weekly water changes in the past. This has pretty clearly been the source of my past problems with SPS corals, and while the siren song of a water changeless reef maintenance regiment continues to ring in my ears, I am committed to following the successful methods of folks on this site. Reef keeping may seem like rocket science at times, but it seems like the best rule of reefkeeping is the simplest: follow through on regular water changes. My plan is for about 4 gallons a week, which would be about a 50 % water change weekly.
  • Stocking: I love ocellaris clownfish and added a pair this week and also have struggled with low nitrates and phosphates in the past so may add another fish to help increase the bioload. Otherwise, sexy shrimp may be in my tank's future!
  • Rock: When I used dry rock for my Reefer 170, the results were ugly at first, and the algae issues only got better when I added some KP aquatics live rock. It seems like folks on the forums are moving away from the sterile starts that were all the rage a couple of years ago, and I think my experience tracks with that shift in the conventional wisdom. I ordered live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater, and while there were weather delays the customer service was fantastic and I cannot speak more highly of them.
  • Flow: With the dual outflow from the MightyJet pump that came with the tank reducing the flow pretty significantly, I added an old MP10 I had saved. When I add sand and rocks, I may remove this additional flow, but it seems like many folks who run successful IM Nuvo 10 setups have another powerhead for more random flow so I figured I might follow in their footsteps.

And here it is! My new setup! Please feel free to chime in with any advice or thoughts!

image.thumb.png.059726308a673102865ebb3fa0d06e47.png

The free macro algae TBS included in the shipment of rock has been left to its own devices since being placed in the tank and has taken over the rock on the right. I plan on trimming it back next week and removing it from the front of the display in about a month. Right now it adds some interesting motion to the tank and fills in the rock scape.

Did a quick water change this morning using distilled water, and I'm thoroughly enjoying how easy it is to do a large weekly water change on this tank! I ordered more reagent for my Hanna Alkalinity tester as well as some All for Reef from BRS today, but especially for the first couple of months I'm hoping that water changes will be enough to maintain stability for the few corals I'll be adding.

I also picked up a couple of test frags today to see if the tank is stable enough for coral! The two I picked up were a cheap Acro frag (I know this is more needy than I initially planned, but for $10, it seemed that a cheap unnamed acro was at least worth the try) and green star polyps (absolutely a weed, but I love brightly colored corals with motion, and I plan on keeping on top of this as it spreads). The LFS employee who helped me out today showed me a colony of the Acro I picked up and said that it was a solid choice for a test frag based on their experience with the coral.

image.thumb.png.2a78a74630a2a3483476eb8d8ecfd19d.png

Not reefing related, but this tank is actually one of a pair! I have twin IM Nuvo 10s next to one another, one freshwater planted that will be a neocaridina shrimp tank and the other a reef!

This is an old pic of the two next to one another before I put the Kessil 360x on the reef:
image.thumb.png.42529350935024189503ed894c4962e8.png
Double tank bros! I have a planted African Dwarf Butterfly tank next to my anemone tank (10g and 20g IM Nuvo fusion).

FWIW, I have found that in the 10, I don’t really need more flow. I bought a custom Y loc-line with eductors off Etsy (from a nice guy in Spain who made them for me). It has bubble tips and rock flower anemones in it. I did just get the IM filter sock roller for it and it’s amusing if nothing else. The tanks are now years old.

I love these tanks. No water changes. Minimal cleaning. Some days I look at my big tank and just see work but I can always look at these two and relax.

it’s lights out but you can see the planted in the back.

Attachments

• C9C0FD04-4220-48CA-822C-9C0910262C5E.jpeg
    C9C0FD04-4220-48CA-822C-9C0910262C5E.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
D

dieSalzwasserqual

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double tank bros! I have a planted African Dwarf Butterfly tank next to my anemone tank (10g and 20g IM Nuvo fusion).

FWIW, I have found that in the 10, I don’t really need more flow. I bought a custom Y loc-line with eductors off Etsy (from a nice guy in Spain who made them for me). It has bubble tips and rock flower anemones in it. I did just get the IM filter sock roller for it and it’s amusing if nothing else. The tanks are now years old.

I love these tanks. No water changes. Minimal cleaning. Some days I look at my big tank and just see work but I can always look at these two and relax.

it’s lights out but you can see the planted in the back.
They look great! I love the juxtaposition of the two tanks side by side! I already have too many tanks, but when I inevitably upgrade my reef, I think I'll turn the empty Nuvo 10 into a shell dweller cichlid tank to get a completely new look added to the mix.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look great! I love the juxtaposition of the two tanks side by side! I already have too many tanks, but when I inevitably upgrade my reef, I think I'll turn the empty Nuvo 10 into a shell dweller cichlid tank to get a completely new look added to the mix.
Good idea! I’ve always wanted to try cichlids but on a 200 gallon scale.

I started with planted tanks then moved to SW and my favorite FW and definitely top 5 all-around fish is the African butterfly fish so I’m happy to have him. I’m trying to find him a friend.

I like the AIO for FW but with the plants the weir’s do clog a bit more frequently. Then again the 20g has two overflows which allows for some leeway. I had a bubble tip manage to get its tentacles perfectly slapped against the weir on my 10g and cause a small flood. I installed a Hydros controller for both tanks with high optical sensors that shut off the ATO and return pump so it’s not an issue any more but it’s my least favorite part about the 10g NUVOs.

Having both types of tanks is a trip. Especially next to each other. It throws into sharp relief how much easier FW is.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Nuvo 10 really is a cool little tank. It looks like you're on the right track with yours.

Mine is currently a counter-top BTA/clown tank, but I am in the process of upgrading them to a larger FOWLR/Anemone tank. I just can't let a well seasoned, 2 year old mini reef tank go to waste, so the Nuvo 10 is going to come live on my desk in the home office (I work from home 4 days a week) and become something entirely different (and much cooler).

ETA: I did the split return with dual RFGs, but I eventually had to add more flow. I ran a Jebao MLW-5 for quite a while at very low speeds (40% max) and just a few weeks ago I "downgraded" it to a Jebao ELW-3m so I had more headroom to play with varying flow. The 5 is small, but the 3 is TINY and max flow is 660gph, so I can run it on full random mode without blasting anything or swirling my sand. For the next iteration of the tank, I may even add a second one. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dieSalzwasserqual

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick update!

Sadly, one of the clowns managed to jump out of the tank somehow, even with the lid, so down to one clownfish. I also picked up a dosing pump three weeks ago, the red sea ReefDose2. Since I've been using All for Reef, the two dosing heads seem like the perfect option, and I've absolutely loved how easy the ReefDose pump has been to set up and use. I've been dosing 4.5 ml a day, spread out over 8 doses, and my alk has stayed between 9.8 and 9.4 over the past couple of weeks. Now that I have a dosing pump, I cannot believe that I ever tried reefing without one! Dealing with a bit of cyano on the sand, but I got through a bout of Dinos by stopping water changes and removing my skimmer, so I'm planning on a smaller water change this week and just waiting out the cyano. Nothing good happens fast in a reef

FTS 6/4/23:
image.thumb.png.85db3d392c02782c0b0033b7c931c343.png

The Green Slimer has been growing, and while I'm a bit concerned about the lack of polyp extension on the underside of the branches, the color seems to be quite vibrant still. Growth pictures here:
image.png.bd7989d67b1e061418c1ad44a82a2059.pngimage.png.6c087fedd6c7a4712c7af9a714b3551f.png

And a different view:
image.png.603890fe833583124170b3350758d7bc.png

And the Purple Stylo I have also is looking fantastic! Growth comparison here:

image.thumb.png.4a08f64eed44399ebca100cfdaf77f37.png
image.png.9368a7b98f2c07ad7bb8f4739d4c7d87.png

Another view from today:
image.thumb.png.880c8758c32650d92f6003cc46874149.png

My Red monti cap is probably my happiest SPS coral, and is starting to encrust on the rock its on:
image.thumb.png.96324a4a15bb1823e05ac84eeb11c0ca.png

I also found this empty shell attached to the MP10 in this tank, which I'm assuming was a hitchhiker of some sort that died?
image.thumb.png.ffd54d78b2b6664bfb7a23a30ac35757.png

And lastly, some dual tank content!
Dual Tanks.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back