stevethao

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always wanted the Lagoon 50! I have the Lagoon 25 but drilled it haha.
63D29F84-FE09-4CE2-9F0E-D1B31A7811F4.jpeg

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm... I don't know if that's going to work for me then. That really sucks because they look great and minimal since they're made for these tanks. I'll have to see what other options are out there or if I can make a Tunze 9004 fit in the second chamber.

It was disappointing as I bought it for the same reason. I'm currently debating if I should just pull it out and use that chamber for something else.

OP
OP
SilverCityReef

SilverCityReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was disappointing as I bought it for the same reason. I'm currently debating if I should just pull it out and use that chamber for something else.

And you've tried adjusting that rubber oring on the cup? It took me over a month to get my Tunze skimmer to skim dark between air and height adjustments.

stevethao

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t wanna take the focus off your build, but here’s how my set up looks. I like the idea of the back chambers acting as a “second sump” for filter socks, matrix, media, etc, before heading down to the sump for the fuge, better skimmer, etc.
E2263045-0639-48AE-AB4C-416D181437AB.jpeg

OP
OP
SilverCityReef

SilverCityReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t wanna take the focus off your build, but here’s how my set up looks. I like the idea of the back chambers acting as a “second sump” for filter socks, matrix, media, etc, before heading down to the sump for the fuge, better skimmer, etc.
E2263045-0639-48AE-AB4C-416D181437AB.jpeg

That's a very smart idea and looks like it's working out well for you. I was wondering if it was possible to do that in case I decide in the future I want to go back to a sump again, like after I buy my own house. Glad to know its 100% possible and has some benefits too.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that you had the Ghost in your build thread but havent had time to sit down and read through. I've been hesitant to order it because of the mixed reviews on the Ghost but from what I've seen & heard, the Nuvoskim is supposed to be good. It's just convenient to use something that's made for the tank. I really liked my Tunze 9004, although it skimmed wet, but I dont know if i could get one in back chamber and working properly.
Yeah, Somehow while I wasn’t paying attention my thread got kinda long :)
The problem I have with the Ghost Skimmer was that the pump is pretty weak and was not adjustable. Sometimes it performed ok but it was erratic. I thought a cleaning might help but if you look at where the air intake is located I don’t know how you’d ever get it plugged back in again if you disconnected the air line to remove the pump. It’s too small of an area with the skimmer body completely surrounding the pump. Now it might be that there’s a way to do it and I just don’t understand how but so far I haven’t been able to figure it out. I’m currently using an older version of the Aquamaxx NF1 (mine doesn’t have the air flow adjustment knob). It does a better job than the Ghost did but it barely squeezes in to chamber 2 and it has its problems with the air line kinking, you have to fiddle with it sometimes which makes it inconsistent. The newer version of the NF1 has dims that are barely too large for chamber 2 by like .1 inch so I’m not sure if it would fit. I got the older version for free with my first marine depot order back in 2017, I didn’t actually buy it to use on my Lagoon. I’m glad I have it but it was definitely forced into action and slightly forced into chamber 2. From what I’ve read the Tunze 9004 will only fit in chamber 1 so you’d have to give up mechanical filtration on one of the overflows in order to use it.
As an alternative to a skimmer someone on here turned chamber 2 into a diy algae scrubber which was pretty cool. I’ll pm you a link to that thread once I remember which one it is.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you've tried adjusting that rubber oring on the cup? It took me over a month to get my Tunze skimmer to skim dark between air and height adjustments.

Yes, I've fiddled with it for 5 months now. I've tried high, I've tried low, I've tried in the middle. As I said it's either wet or nonexistent. I guess it is possible I don't have much to skim as I do have chaeto growing and several other biological and mechanical filtration in the back.

OP
OP
SilverCityReef

SilverCityReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AQUASCAPING

When it came to aquascaping this tank, I originally only had 55lbs of the AquaMaxx Dry Rock By Marco Rocks that I had ordered from Marine Depot. The selection and shapes of the rocks would not make a single scape that I actually liked enough to keep.

20200706_152051.jpg
20200706_152058.jpg

20200707_091833.jpg
20200707_091919.jpg

20200707_091937.jpg
20200707_091929.jpg

After trying for hours, i decided just to order 33lbs of the Reef Saver Rock by Marco Rocks from Bulk Reef Supply which I knew I had already had great success with. I waited for that to finally come in and then I started working on the rockscape again. It still took me an hour or two to finally decide on something but what I came up with, i think will work perfectly for not only viewing pleasure, but also for swimming space and coral placement.

20200711_124812.jpg
20200711_124753.jpg

Now that the planning was out of the way, it was time to add the rock to the tank, start making RODI water, and get things moving. I had to make some slight modifications the the rockscape once I actually got it into the tank because it was just too big to allow me to clean the entire tanks walls. I used superglue to secure the smaller pieces and some of the larger pieces that I felt may be slightly sketchy. I really wish I had taken a picture of my hands after this because I had glue on every finger tip and then some. Anyways, at this point it was finally done and ready for equipment, sand, and water.

20200711_171043.jpg
20200711_171056.jpg

20200711_171040.jpg
20200711_170958.jpg

EQUIPMENT PLACEMENT

I started adding the equipment as I knew where things were actually going to go. I have an extra media basket that I plan to use instead of the filter sock but for the initial setup, I just used one media basket with one pack of carbon and the filter sock on the opposite side. Both second chambers are empty at this point except for the temperature probe for the Apex Jr in one. I rinsed the Xport-Bio cubes, placed them in a mesh media bag, and stuffed them under the far left chamber. The heater was placed horizontally under the right chambers which works but throws the pump off balance a little bit because return lines aren't quite long enough, but I will fix that at some point. The ATO sensor and float valve are also in the pump chamber and I currently have a dosing line holder in there as well but that will have to change in order for any additives in the future to mix properly. Lights are centered over the overflows but I plan to space them out just a little more. I wanted them centered but they are just too close together. The IceCap 1K Gyre will not be added until fish are as it is the only flow in my current holding tank. However, I plan to put this on the left side of tank so that the wire is not visible as your walking into apartment. I am trying to keep this tank simple yet sustainable so I am doing my best to pick equipment and equipment placement as wisely as I can. ** I WILL HAVE TO ADD PHOTOS OF EQUIPMENT PLACEMENT AFTER AS I JUST REALIZED I DIDN'T TAKE ANY. **

20200712_142110.jpg

FIRST PROBLEM

After spending multiple hours on cable management and mounting controllers and power strips (NEXT UPDATE TO COME), 1 of the 2 Kessil A360WE's I purchased worked for about 5 minutes, started flickering, and then just shut off. Luckily the person I bought them from is willing to replace it once he receives this one back. I'm not really sure what happened, it turned on and everything seemed good but all of a sudden it just flickered for 30 seconds and then cut off. There was no burnt electronic smell, it wasn't hot/overheated, and a different power supply didn't fix the issue either. This is not really how I wanted this tank to start out, especially since I still have a junk AI Hydra 26HD sitting on my kitchen table from the 40B Build. I'm starting to not be a fan of these expensive lights. I spent $300 on the Hydra and it worked for about 9 months to 1 year and this Kessil light didn't even make it 10 minutes... I am going to HOPE that everything goes well from here on out. If this is the only problem I encounter equipment wise, I will not complain at all. I'm sure i'm going to encounter some algae issues again like I did with the 40B but I think I learned enough from that experience to be able to deal with it quickly and properly if and when it arises.

20200719_171655.jpg

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reallt like my radions, I have 3 XR-30 Gen3 Pros and they are great, you can probably by them on the trade/sell thread

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably just get one Xr-15

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 41 57.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 28.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back