I'm tired y'all. Terpenoids? Leather? Tank mad...Maxima...dying?

pmaddox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone had experience with large leather causing things to get mad or die inexplicably in their system?

I had an 'event' last week that correlated with a water change although no swings were measured. *Even temperature.

I noticed some viscous bubbles in the sump that looked like someone spit in the water.

The leather has been balled up but it has mood swings all the time so I didn't think much of it at first.

However, within 24 hours my plate montipora had lost its red color (to brown) and my zoas and other corals closed up for days. They started opening again but now my maxima clam is on a hard decline. I'm very concerned it will not make it.

I am seeing the viscous water in the sump again after having disappeared for a few days.

Could it be terpenoids from the leather and have any of you been through this?

Some ghost chemical or substance is affecting the tank. It's not the 'usual' parameters and I'm going crazy. SO exhausted from worrying about my corals.

Help?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you all test for?
It looks like a large PO4 spike as the bubbles were probably protein skim and monti went down to brown looks and smells like a nutrient spike.

#reefsquad

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone had experience with large leather causing things to get mad or die inexplicably in their system?

I had an 'event' last week that correlated with a water change although no swings were measured. *Even temperature.

I noticed some viscous bubbles in the sump that looked like someone spit in the water.

The leather has been balled up but it has mood swings all the time so I didn't think much of it at first.

However, within 24 hours my plate montipora had lost its red color (to brown) and my zoas and other corals closed up for days. They started opening again but now my maxima clam is on a hard decline. I'm very concerned it will not make it.

I am seeing the viscous water in the sump again after having disappeared for a few days.

Could it be terpenoids from the leather and have any of you been through this?

Some ghost chemical or substance is affecting the tank. It's not the 'usual' parameters and I'm going crazy. SO exhausted from worrying about my corals.

Help?
A leather coral does do chemical warfare. It's how they hold onto their reef space in nature.

I began with softies and a big leather. They can easily sense (taste or smell) other corals mucus in a reef aquarium's water flow. If they feel moody (threaten) the chemical warfare will begin from the leather the mucus starts coming from other corals to try to defend off the chemical warfare. So it even gets worse because all the mucus just gets kicks the leather into another gear with the warfare.

All corals have defenses and or weaponry. LPS use stinger tentacles to hold and spread on a natural coral reef.

From my research the chemical corals beat out a stinger in an aquarium.

If you want a happy calmed down reef one of two things need to happen.
1) Place the leather so it can't sense the others in the water flow.
2) Trade in your leather and have peace in your reef.

I ended up trading mine in LONG ago and my entire reef has loved me back ever since.

I have been in your shoes an I feel for you and your reef and hope it calms down for you.

The water change (water flow) may have given your leather a sense (taste) of the surrounding corals.

I hope this explains to you what is really going on in your reef.

Back