IM25 Lagoon Build

Nowell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, rough start. Sounds like things are turning around, though. I like the aquascape--particularly how you are allowing room for coral growth along the top.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, rough start. Sounds like things are turning around, though. I the aquascape--particularly how you are allowing room for coral growth along the top.

Yeah, the start was a bit bumpy...fairly smooth since then. Should have my light this week, along with a new reactor. Going to replace my filter socks as well.

Thanks for the compliment on my aquascape! I will get a top down shot because there is quite a bit of space for corals. This tank will have high end LPS and Zoos only. This should be very fun as it picks up:)

Thanks,
Jake

Gator1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, is the standard better somehow? Just curious as to your thinking :)

Thanks,
Jake

The standard is better because it uses an optical sensor plus the float sensor - I had the nano on my fusion 50 but it kept failing due to failure of the float - snails, etc would easily foul it. Could not trust it compared to the standard.

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome start so far on the tank! And you did end up going with the standard ato? I’ve had mine for a couple weeks now and hasn’t failed me yet. Every time I reach into the tank it beeps high level instantly and is very effective keeping a perfect water level.

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome start so far on the tank! And you did end up going with the standard ato? I’ve had mine for a couple weeks now and hasn’t failed me yet. Every time I reach into the tank it beeps high level instantly and is very effective keeping a perfect water level.

Yes, I love the standard already. Also, the IM ATO container is wonderful! Very sleek and easy to fill with the drawer system that it utilizes. I'll post pictures shortly. Thanks for following!

Jake

Last edited:
OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here are some pictures. I am deciding on what reactor to go with. Any suggestions for a compact yet effective external reactor would be welcomed!

FTS
20170924_093931.jpg

Top Down
20170924_093710.jpg

Stuff under the tank
20170924_093836.jpg

20170924_093831.jpg

20170924_093828.jpg

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay Guys...Tank is doing fine thus far. I am using MB7 to cycle and imagine that the BRS pukani will leach a ton of phosphates into the water column. Any suggestions on how to curb potential algae bloom towards end of cycle? I am thinking of doing a massive 50% water change the moment I see algae appear.

The water is a bit cloudy from all of the rock and sand sediment, but I don't think i'll both with running a reactor to clear it until the cycle is nearing completion.

Let me know your thoughts...pictures will be added soon!

Thanks,
Jake

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A large water change at end of cycle is something I would always recommend. As far as the cloudy water throw some filter floss in your media basket and the water will clear right up in a couple hours. I use pillow stuffing from the craft store it’s cheap and works awesome and when it’s spent I just grow it away and replace with new. I love that ATO container just can’t justify the $100 right now lol

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A large water change at end of cycle is something I would always recommend. As far as the cloudy water throw some filter floss in your media basket and the water will clear right up in a couple hours. I use pillow stuffing from the craft store it’s cheap and works awesome and when it’s spent I just grow it away and replace with new. I love that ATO container just can’t justify the $100 right now lol
Thanks for the help man! I'll try out the floss idea when my custom caddys come in.

Yeah the 100$ is a lot for a glorified water jug...but it sure is sexy LOL.

Thanks
Jake

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the glorified water jug is nice. Filter floss works wonders on crystal clear water just gets clogged up with if a couple days and needs replacing frequently.

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for stocking list suggestions as well.

What I'm thinking of right now:

2 designer clowns
1 goby pistol shrimp combo
1 mystery wrasse
1 cleaner shrimp

Any thoughts on that list? Any suggested additions? I do like flame hawkish, how would that fair with my list?

Thanks,
Jake

Colin Levy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup!

I am getting my IM25 Saturday and hoping to set it up in the next couple weeks.

Was going to do dry rock, but found a local guy selling good quality cured rock. It all has magnificent purple coralline algae on it. Hard to say no to that.

Anyways, how much of the 40Ibs of rock you listed on first page did you use? Also, I like your sand level, how many pounds is that?

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup!

I am getting my IM25 Saturday and hoping to set it up in the next couple weeks.

Was going to do dry rock, but found a local guy selling good quality cured rock. It all has magnificent purple coralline algae on it. Hard to say no to that.

Anyways, how much of the 40Ibs of rock you listed on first page did you use? Also, I like your sand level, how many pounds is that?

Hey,

That's exciting! I ended up only ordering 20 pounds of rock and probably only used about 10 pounds LOL. Pukani is very light, so 20 pounds was massive!

Thanks
Jake

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

So today I received some stuff in the mail.

New IM variable flow return nozzles:

20170929_162308.jpg

New IM Custom Caddy, which I fitted with MarinePure balls. The caddys would only fit 4 balls, so I used a dremel and cut them in half or into quarters to fit more. Check it out:

20170929_161037.jpg

20170929_161027.jpg

And lastly, a new bracket to hold my dosing tubes:

20170929_162245.jpg

I need to get filter floss in the top chamber of the caddys...water is still yellow-ish from sediment. I received a new reactor today but won't be installing it or running it until the end of the cycle.

Thanks,
Jake

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good idea with the bio balls. And yeah trust me on the filter floss it will clear your tank right up and you will see the floss turn from bright white to yellow brown really quick.

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow you've been really busy the last week or so. Glad BRS took care of the light. Do you know what schedule your going to be running? Everything looks great. Aquascape gives you plenty of options for coral and swimming room for the fish. Glad the bigger tunze works out for ya. I'm sure the extra $100 will be money well spent. I think your stocking list looks good. I would add a few conch for the sand bed. It's pretty cool when you get your diatoms outbreak and all you see are trails from the conchs. Not sure but top shelf aquatics close to me has aquacultured tomini tangs that are the size of clown fish you could add. They had a 2.5-3" yellow eye kole tang I wanted but didn't want to add to many fish at once.

image.jpg

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow you've been really busy the last week or so. Glad BRS took care of the light. Do you know what schedule your going to be running? Everything looks great. Aquascape gives you plenty of options for coral and swimming room for the fish. Glad the bigger tunze works out for ya. I'm sure the extra $100 will be money well spent. I think your stocking list looks good. I would add a few conch for the sand bed. It's pretty cool when you get your diatoms outbreak and all you see are trails from the conchs. Not sure but top shelf aquatics close to me has aquacultured tomini tangs that are the size of clown fish you could add. They had a 2.5-3" yellow eye kole tang I wanted but didn't want to add to many fish at once.

image.jpg

Hey,

Thanks for the kind words and advice. I have no idea what schedule I'm going to run, this will be my first radion experience. I will however keep you updated.

I love the idea of the tomini tang as well! I am going to look into this asap.

Thanks
Jake

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First test of the cycle, what do these results look like to You?

20171001_154114.jpg

20171001_154123.jpg

20171001_154132.jpg

Thanks,
Jake

Fishy Snowman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

So today I received some stuff in the mail.

New IM variable flow return nozzles:

20170929_162308.jpg

New IM Custom Caddy, which I fitted with MarinePure balls. The caddys would only fit 4 balls, so I used a dremel and cut them in half or into quarters to fit more. Check it out:

20170929_161037.jpg

20170929_161027.jpg

And lastly, a new bracket to hold my dosing tubes:

20170929_162245.jpg

I need to get filter floss in the top chamber of the caddys...water is still yellow-ish from sediment. I received a new reactor today but won't be installing it or running it until the end of the cycle.

Thanks,
Jake
looking really nice Jake who makes the dosing bracket ?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back