OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: pH has been a problem, but I have figured out the cause (pretty sure anyway). I live a new home, modern construction...seems it's very air tight causing higher levels of CO2 within the house. I opened a window near the tank and not the pH has bottomed out at 8.05 every night as opposed to 7.82. daytime peaks are reaching 8.2 as opposed to just under 8.0. The tank health is excellent and my gobies are becoming more tolerant of me. Phosphates are still being closely monitored as the rocks are still seemingly leaching them.

Here are the gobies :)

IMG_20171108_211634.jpg

Thanks,
Jake

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

So one of my gobies made it through a crack in the mesh lid (between lid and tank wall). The other goby isn't as crazy and seems happy and calm. Here are some updated pictures. Trying to remind myself that this is a marathon not a Sprint.

MVIMG_20171117_181148.jpg

MVIMG_20171117_181154.jpg

MVIMG_20171117_181201.jpg

MVIMG_20171117_181252.jpg

MVIMG_20171117_181306.jpg

IMG_20171117_181308.jpg

MVIMG_20171117_181311.jpg

MVIMG_20171117_181342.jpg

MVIMG_20171117_181348.jpg

MVIMG_20171117_181356.jpg

MVIMG_20171117_181414.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Jake

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up. What skimmer you using? Any pics of it. I need a skimmer for mine!

Hey,

No skimmer as of now. Nutrients are in check. My nitrates haven't hit 5 ppm yet. I don't feed super heavy.

Thanks,
Jake

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are things going now? I have the same tank up and running since August.

Hey,

Things are going well. The rock still seems to be leaching phosphates. There isnt much algae in the tank. My parameters are stable, but I'm going to begin dosing kalk in my ATO.

Thanks,
Jake

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up! Looking great so far!

I couldn’t help notice, you put the sand in first and rocks on top of the sand. When I first started someone advised me on putting rocks in first and the sand around it to not risk the sand moving and rocks shifting.. has anyone had this happen to them and have your rocks tumble because of it?

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I couldn’t help notice, you put the sand in first and rocks on top of the sand. When I first started someone advised me on putting rocks in first and the sand around it to not risk the sand moving and rocks shifting.. has anyone had this happen to them and have your rocks tumble because of it?

I believe in my first posts you can see that I did place the rock first for the reason you noted. I have not had this happen, but I find it better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks,
Jake

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe in my first posts you can see that I did place the rock first for the reason you noted. I have not had this happen, but I find it better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks,
Jake

You’re right! I saw the hazy pic when you first added water and didn’t see the rock!

Yes, better safe than sorry saves lots of $ in this hobby lol

Nart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Jake.
We got matchy matchy conch snails haha.

Btw - have you heard of RFG nozzles? I replaced my spinstreams with RFGs as soon as I found out about them.

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Jake.
We got matchy matchy conch snails haha.

Btw - have you heard of RFG nozzles? I replaced my spinstreams with RFGs as soon as I found out about them.

Did you every experience micro bubbles with spin streams? If not, why did you switch?

Thanks,
Jake

Nart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - sometimes, but the micro bubble isn't consistent.
It all came down to the flow rate. Spin streams, from my experience reduced the flow rate of the return pump in half. I guess not a biggie since you run a MP-10.
Whereas the RFG nozzles doesn't seem to cut the flow rate at all. Also, with zero moving parts to clean or malfunction, it does a really good job in creating a circular flow motion. No noise, no fuss, nada.

I also, got the drop adapters. This is how the RFG nozzles and adapters look like.
IMG_8534.JPG

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - sometimes, but the micro bubble isn't consistent.
It all came down to the flow rate. Spin streams, from my experience reduced the flow rate of the return pump in half. I guess not a biggie since you run a MP-10.
Whereas the RFG nozzles doesn't seem to cut the flow rate at all. Also, with zero moving parts to clean or malfunction, it does a really good job in creating a circular flow motion. No noise, no fuss, nada.

I also, got the drop adapters. This is how the RFG nozzles and adapters look like.
IMG_8534.JPG

Awesome, I'll place an order and try them out! I am moving next Monday and have to move the tank some time before then, but luckily I'm moving a block away. Anyone have suggestions on moving this tank?

Thanks,
Jake

Nart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved mine from one end of the room to the other... it was relatively easy with 2 people.
The foam bottom that it comes with was stuck to the stand-top I guess because of the paint. So over time it kind of bonded. I didn't bother trying to remove it, so my wife and I just lifted the top and moved it.

My best advice is if you have any extra plywood board laying around. Cut it to be about 2" wider all around and lay the tank on top of it and move the tank with the board. Easier to handle and laying it on surfaces and etc... so you don't have to worry about cracking the bottom.

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved mine from one end of the room to the other... it was relatively easy with 2 people.
The foam bottom that it comes with was stuck to the stand-top I guess because of the paint. So over time it kind of bonded. I didn't bother trying to remove it, so my wife and I just lifted the top and moved it.

My best advice is if you have any extra plywood board laying around. Cut it to be about 2" wider all around and lay the tank on top of it and move the tank with the board. Easier to handle and laying it on surfaces and etc... so you don't have to worry about cracking the bottom.

Did you empty the tank? Otherwise, you suggest sliding on to ply wood and maybe setting that on a table with castor's and rolling it?

Thanks,
Jake

Thanks,
Jake

Nart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah.. Definitely empty the tank. I had RFA's stuck to mine, so I left about an inch of water just to keep them submersed.
But yeah - sliding onto plywood would be your best bet in moving it. That way you don't have to worry much about the surfaces you lay it on.

Brandon Smith

AquaticArsenal.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had someone advise me of the same issue when I built my 40 gallon setup back in 2012. I used small sections of PVC pipe as stilts instead to eliminate the risk of shifting sand though.

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Tank is going pretty steady. I will begin to dose kalk through my ATO in an effort to keep my parameters a bit more stable. I don't like the BRS 2 part and will be switching soon.

I added an awesome little mystery Wrasse about 2 days ago. He is doing great and I've named him Martin :)

IMG_20171124_191401.jpg

My clownfish, Ike and Tina are doing great and have grown considerably. They come straight to the top of my tank and beg for food whenever I'm around, LOL.

MVIMG_20171124_191304.jpg

Here are a few coral pics to boot

MVIMG_20171123_140417.jpg MVIMG_20171123_140440.jpg MVIMG_20171123_140107.jpg

I'm trying to remind myself that this tank was only stocked starting about 1 month ago. The growth so far has been inconsistent, most of my zoos are thriving while my LPS pieces have grown just minimally. My nutrients are low despite not having a protein skimmer, which I suspect has been a factor with my LPS growth as these pieces came from a higher nutrient tank.

I don't quarantine my fish and inverts so I have only purchased from sources such as divers den.

Thanks,
Jake

Ikikimo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bro, great looking tank. I was curious if you and maybe other owners can chime in, is your pump loud as hell? I’m ready to swap it out with a sicce unit haha

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 65 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back