IM25 Lagoon Build

Nart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drooling over your baby jaw breaker Jake lol.
Reserve one for me if it sprouts babies :) Will be moving back to Los Angeles later this year.

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drooling over your baby jaw breaker Jake lol.
Reserve one for me if it sprouts babies :) Will be moving back to Los Angeles later this year.
I can only hope I get some babies from it. It's super tiny right now, was worried about the possibility of it dying when I got it. Its doing very well and has definitely grown already.

Thanks,
J

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general, I am still trying to elevate tank nutrients. My Nitrates are <2PPM right now and my phosphates are still reading zero. I may hold off on WC's for an extra week this go around.

Thanks,
Jake

Nart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jake - I just picked up a Radion XR30 Pro Gen4.
I was curious what settings are you running the XR15s at now?

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,

I'm running the lps template at around 19% which is almost all blues. Seems to be working alright, may adjust it some. The at one point my intensity was 35% and some stuff started bleaching. I think the shallow tank makes this light super intense. I will be renting a PAR meter soon to do some analysis and will let you know about my findings :)

Thanks,
Jake

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Screenshot_20180129-105635.png

Nart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jake.
Yeah, I'm afraid of melting my stuff with the 2 puck.

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys and Gals,

A little photo update on the 25:

My Two Clowns and Mystery Wrasse looking sexy!
MVIMG_20180219_113506.jpg

****** new Favia
IMG_20180219_111120.jpg

My JFox Lepto
MVIMG_20180219_111014.jpg

I've had some algae struggles set in, mainly started when I began using reef roids. I have since gotten some GFO back in the reactor and all levels are back to normal. I also forgot to finalize some flow settings months back and realized my tank has not been getting optimal flow.

Otherwise things are good and mostly everyone is thriving and happy.

Thanks,
Jake

corey01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your clowns are amazing.
I am heading to a swap this weekend, hoping to pick up a clown even kind of close to that as a companion to my female picasso.

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your clowns are amazing.
I am heading to a swap this weekend, hoping to pick up a clown even kind of close to that as a companion to my female picasso.

Thanks! I got them from a R2R member! What swap are you going to?

Jake

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows the mystery wrasse doing in that size tank?

He's not full grown but I have seen zero negative behavior or signs of stress. All fish in my tank eat like pigs twice daily. I am adding a sailfin blenny next week and that will be it for now in this tank.

Thanks,
Jake

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's not full grown but I have seen zero negative behavior or signs of stress. All fish in my tank eat like pigs twice daily. I am adding a sailfin blenny next week and that will be it for now in this tank.

Thanks,
Jake

Nice, Mystery wrasses look so cool. I was considering one for my IM20 but ended up not doing it. Definitly a sweet fish tho.

corey01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LEAR-Lake Erie Advanced Reefers.
about the largest one I have locally. Pretty sure I seen a mention one of the vendors specialized in clown morphs and was going to be bringing some fun specimens to the show.

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LEAR-Lake Erie Advanced Reefers.
about the largest one I have locally. Pretty sure I seen a mention one of the vendors specialized in clown morphs and was going to be bringing some fun specimens to the show.

If it doesn't pan out let me know and I'll link you up with the member I went through. I was pleased with his service. He sent me pictures of a variety of fish and then followed up with video of the fish I liked in particular.

Thanks,
Jake

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, time for another update!

I've been having trouble with this tank for awhile. I spend hours every week testing and adjusting things to try to fine tune my ecosystem to best grow corals and fish. I had a nasty algae outbreak despite .04 or less phosphate and 2ppm nitrates.

I ordered an eshopps protein skimmer and removed a media basket after getting some advice from WWC. I also ordered an ICP test because despite my levels seeming accurate my zoas are slowly dying and many corals growth is stagnant.

My ICP indicated I was lacking some trace elements and my mag was a bit high. The main shocker was that my salinity was horribly off, 1.022. I have ordered a calibration solution and recalibrated my refractometer. Today I'm doing a WC with 1.026 water in order to get things on track.

I will keep everyone updated here :)

Thanks,
Jake

corey01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can vouch for the eshopps nano skimmer. If thats the one your talking about. I put one on my 25 lagoon 2 weeks or so ago after getting it from a setup I picked up. Honestly I was so blown away by it I am thinking about getting another and paying full price for it. I have never seen anything so small pick up skimmate so dark and thick as that little guy. just to note, to not have to deal with the magnet adjustment and the moving of the skimmer every time you take the cup off and on. I simply made a small platform out of eggcrate and pushed it into the second chamber and set the skimmer on that. now it dosent matter what you do to the skimmer it is always sitting at the height I want it at. I feel you on the salinity as well. I bought a new refractometer a few months ago. and since then it dosent matter how much I calibrate it. it keeps giving me wildly different results with every use. thinking about giving that new icecap handheld digital a chance.

Ikikimo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your parameter swings. I definitely want to take my refractometer and get it calibrated. I myself moved into a Lagoon 50 last week and sold my 25......hoping the parameters stay a little more stable. How’s that Wrasse, I still want one, hoping my leopard wrasse will be ok with that lol

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your parameter swings. I definitely want to take my refractometer and get it calibrated. I myself moved into a Lagoon 50 last week and sold my 25......hoping the parameters stay a little more stable. How’s that Wrasse, I still want one, hoping my leopard wrasse will be ok with that lol

Hey there,

The Wrasse is doing well. He eats like a pig and seems to be the master of the tank. He does not mind the clownfish as all because they're larger and have been there before him. He does not like the new baby sailfin blenny and will chase him back to his perch from time to time. The blenny does have a nice protected perch under my bird'snest that he enjoys and keeps him safe. I expect him to tolerate the blenny more as the blenny outgrows him.

Thanks,
Jake

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back