immobilizing sand dwelling anemone using a bowl of sand in bare bottom tank?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
could this/does this work? I have bare bottom tanks, but would be interested in a Sabae nem in the future. I read this type (and a few others) like to put their foot in the sand bed. I could put a "bowl" of sand in the tank (have some ideas to make a fake rock bowl). . . but would this work assuming it was in an appropriate location? Would the nem just immediately leave the sand bowel in search of a power head? Or would the nem be effectively "trapped"?

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could this/does this work? I have bare bottom tanks, but would be interested in a Sabae nem in the future. I read this type (and a few others) like to put their foot in the sand bed. I could put a "bowl" of sand in the tank (have some ideas to make a fake rock bowl). . . but would this work assuming it was in an appropriate location? Would the nem just immediately leave the sand bowel in search of a power head? Or would the nem be effectively "trapped"?
There are no guarantees with anemones. I've seen sand anemones hold onto rocks in a bare bottom tank, and I've seen sand anemones crawl out of a bowl of sand when it worked in other tanks.

With all that said, I have had pretty good luck putting a 4-inch PVC cap into a 4-inch PVC coupler and filling it with sand. This creates an area of roughly 3.5x3.5 for the anemone, a flat bottom for placement, and flat sides for leaning rocks on to hide it after the anemone has decided to dig in and take hold of the bottom.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back