Impact of Aquavitro Alpha on Nitrate

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I am running a mixed reef and recently introduced a batch of new corals. Apparently, in my excitement I have been over-feeding my new arrivals, because after a week I've got a spike in Nitrate to 25pmm (using a Hanna Instruments HI782 Marine Nitrate High Range Checker HC). I normally run less than 5.

In an effort to minimize any upset to my existing corals, I dosed Alpha at the recommended rate (5mL per 75 gallons - I have ~145 gallons between the tank and sump) and then fired up my RODI unit to ready a fresh batch of water. Seachem claims that "alpha™ detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them". Yay! That will fix it!

The next day (today), I mixed the RODI with my salt mix and performed a 30% water change.

According to my calculations, with a 30% water change I should have ended up with a Nitrate concentration of around 19ppm. However, after testing my water again I was surprised to get a reading of only 4ppm!

I am led to believe from Seachem's site that Alpha functions (in some magic way I don't understand) by "binding" the nitrate in such a manner that it is less toxic to livestock - I assume this same "binding" makes the nitrate less available to the reagents in the test ... so is this why my nitrate reading is so much less than I expected?

If so, what is the "real" nitrate concentration and how would I measure this?

Based on your response, would you recommend I conduct another 30% water change to continue to reduce nitrate levels, or can I be confident that whatever nitrate is left in my tank (and in whatever form it is in) it is no longer a threat to my livestock? I know that nitrate levels less than 20ppm isn't really a huge threat to corals to begin with, but I'm funny that way.

Would appreciate any insights anyone might have to offer.

NOTE: I saw an earlier post from Randy Holmes-Farley that Seachem Prime doesn't have any impact on nitrate, but I couldn't find anything about Aquavitro Alpha (which Seachem claims is a different formulation than Prime)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not convinced it does anything to impact nitrate or nitrate toxicity. It's the same sort of weird, only understood by Seachem chemical description of "hydrosulfite salts" as they use for Prime. Even they admit they do not understand how Prime does this and rely on customers to tell them it works. I expect the same lack of understanding of their own product and its claims applies here.

At 25 ppm, I also don't think you need to do anything special.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back