Impacts of a Discontinued Product

Fish.Bum00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are plenty of threads discussing a specific item being marked as discontinued. What I wondering about is two fold.

1)What are the reasons for a product being discontinued? 2) What are the impacts?

1) 1)What are the reasons for a product being discontinued? Sticking to the reefing hobby, is the company coming out with a new upgraded version of a product, i.e. Radion gen1 through gen whatever. Or are they not selling as expected and the company has decided to cancel the product line? Maybe company X got a number of complaints that the product sucks, or they uncovered a defect and determine it will likely flood a persons house or burn it down or something.

Im not the type of person to buy a new model of anything every year or two. I like saving money. If I bought, for example, a Radion gen5 and then Radion write a press release announcing the new GEN 6 with extra special blah blah blah. Am I screwed?

2) What are the impacts? There are a lot of parts to this question. Many I’m not thinking of at this moment. Did I just spend several thousands of dollars on products that are already out of date? Do I still get the same level of support after a product is discontinued? Are replacement parts going to still be available? Did the company go under or is there something I should be concerned about?

My only recent examples was the Autoaqua smart ato. One day, the pump just stopped working. Went to BRS to get see how much a replacement pump was going to cost, and the entire system was marked discontinued. Huh? So I go to Google and type in replacement pump and nothing. I did finally find one on eBay and now have an excuse to get the Tunze ato, but I was frustrated.

The other recent one was the Pan World pumps. I was about to purchase one for my water change station and then noticed all models are discontinued.

I want and do invest in quality gear, but it’d be nice to have some reassurance. Id really appreciate the groups thoughts and experiences.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good topic, I got nothing specific to add but it is interesting that for every Aquaclear or Maxijet you get a Skilter or Aquarium Inovations dud ////
Aquaclears have remained unchanged for close to 40years! ...

Sometimes a new design makes another obsolete and Companies copy cat that design. Skimmers come to mind. They all look alike anymore..
“Rimmed” Aquariums are on the way out...et

Joe's Coral Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I think one of the problems are pieces of equipment tied to an app versus direct network connection. If the company stops updating the app a major release from apple or android could make the app and equipment unusable.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Build My LED fixture many years ago, good light, but I noticed some cracking on the cover and wanted to get a replacement. I went online and noticed they had gotten out of the aquarium biz. Although I just did a quick search and found a website for Build My LED again and it is somewhat updated, so we'll see..

I used to buy products from Aquatic Ecosystems for work, which got bought by Pentair, they really got rid their aquarium and some of aquaculture stuff. We bought a specialized hydrostatic chamber from them....many years ago. We can still get a rubber seal for it, but nothing else. Looking into local machine shops to work on it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back